Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man, why didn't they make them from the factory like this?

I was lucky enough to get some nice clear lenses from gmsolutions, and bought some clear WW side markers off of a nice gentleman on here that didn't use them. Installed them last week, and wow what a PITA. Baking the old lenses out wasn't so bad, (350* for 10 minutes after you preheated over and then shut off) and just used a screwdriver and pryed em off. Wear gloves! But clamping the new lenses down after gluing the new lenses.....booooo!!

I love the look, but I would've rather spent the money on some STS-V fogs and plug and played. BUT, I did save $200+, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining......especially since they look BADASS!!!! Clear on Platinum FTW!! :highfive:

I got most of the old glue out around the sides of the lens housing, but not all of it...as you'll see in the pics. You can't see the ridge of them anyways once they are in the car. The one thing that kinda sucks is that since you cut some of the material off of the inside of the fog casing, there is a small gap from the bumper to the lenses. Not huge by any means, and barely noticeable......I guess I'm just being anal.

Car was filthy from driving, don't be joking about bugs on the bumper....I already know :lol:

Having to cut the inside lip off was a bitch. Hacksaw is best bet - just take your time!!!

Note: those plastic clamps from Lowe's (came in a bag) SUCK!!!! Don't waste your money on em!!

Got amber LED's for the side markers, Silverstar Bulbs (blueish when not lit, and yellow when lit) and some 7k 55w bulbs from my local speed shop (match the headlights well)

I'm a complete moron, and forgot to change the little bulb in the haedlight out. :doh:
I'll get some LED's for that and finish those off probably this weekend. I need to the DRL cutoff too!!

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
looks great man!!!!!!!! i need to do this but only smoked! like my man TOM!

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
945 Posts
Wouldn't tin snips be easier than a hacksaw? Especially if you need to have a slight curve in the end result.

I am still looking to buy a spare set of CTS-V fogs to do this, since I think my passenger fog light/bracket is broken since it wobbles around and if I bought a set of STS-V fogs the braket wouldn't fit.

If anyone has a line on a set of CTS-V fogs and brackets let me know.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks great man!!!!!!!! i need to do this but only smoked! like my man TOM!
Thanks Man!

Wouldn't tin snips be easier than a hacksaw? Especially if you need to have a slight curve in the end result.

I am still looking to buy a spare set of CTS-V fogs to do this, since I think my passenger fog light/bracket is broken since it wobbles around and if I bought a set of STS-V fogs the braket wouldn't fit.

If anyone has a line on a set of CTS-V fogs and brackets let me know.
I tried tin snips, but either they sucked or weren't sharp enough, they deformed the metal on the inside instead of just cutting it. Hacksaw still produced a curve.....I just followed the contour of the lens housing itself.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
PITA i'm sure but looks awesome! Nice work

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,074 Posts
Looks SO much cleaner without the orange. VERY nice!

You're right: should've come from the factory this way. :D

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

I think I need to adjust the fog lights a bit, they seem to be pointing further down than I'd like.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
FOG LIGHT AIMING PROCEDURE:
1. Make sure that all components of the car are in place, such as spare tire, 1/2 tank of fuel.
2. Jounce the car to settle suspension.
3. Park the car on a level surface 25 feet (7.6 m) from the target screen.
4. Measure the distance from the floor to the center of the foglamp.
5. Using the measurement in step 4, mark the horizontal centerline on the target screen directly in front of the car.
6. Start the car to level the suspension.
7. Turn Fog lamps on.
8. Through the opening in the front air deflector below the fog lamp aces the fog lamp vertical adjuster.
9. Adjust the fog lamp up or down until the top edge of the high intensity zone on the screen is 102 mm (4 inches) below the horizontal centerline marked in step 5.
10. Turn off car/fog lamps when complete.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FOG LIGHT AIMING PROCEDURE:
1. Make sure that all components of the car are in place, such as spare tire, 1/2 tank of fuel.
2. Jounce the car to settle suspension.
3. Park the car on a level surface 25 feet (7.6 m) from the target screen.
4. Measure the distance from the floor to the center of the foglamp.
5. Using the measurement in step 4, mark the horizontal centerline on the target screen directly in front of the car.
6. Start the car to level the suspension.
7. Turn Fog lamps on.
8. Through the opening in the front air deflector below the fog lamp aces the fog lamp vertical adjuster.
9. Adjust the fog lamp up or down until the top edge of the high intensity zone on the screen is 102 mm (4 inches) below the horizontal centerline marked in step 5.
10. Turn off car/fog lamps when complete.

Very nice, thanks Darkman! I didn't think about going thru the front air duct hole.....hope my hands fit.
Does it say anywhere what size that bolt is that adjusts it? from the bottom it looks like a torx head or something weird

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Looking good. No wonder you had pics readily handy for my simple exchange. God dayum, that looks intense. Just the baking alone..... did you give time to let the yeast rise? lol. Looks good all clean and silver. I thought the bugs were just dirt on my own monitor...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Very nice, thanks Darkman! I didn't think about going thru the front air duct hole.....hope my hands fit.
Does it say anywhere what size that bolt is that adjusts it? from the bottom it looks like a torx head or something weird
The Service Manual does not say.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
I just did the same thing with my fogs on Saturday. I can't see them here, so I'll have to check out your pics when I get home.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis
906 Posts
looks stellar !! save $200.. $hit. I heard from Luke today and the STS-V lights are $217 EACH. Dude, you likely saved 4 C-notes. I really want to do this.

I was thinking of removing my fogs and pressing them (face covered) into clay or plaster that will dry and use that for a mold to press the curve into the heated lexan and carefully trimming the lens out to avoid the forceful clamping. This would allow relative ease of reproduction and re-do for screw-ups. All sounds good until i try it. I believe most people used 1/8 lexan? is 3/16 unreasonable for increased shatter protection or would it stick beyond the lens recess? I should get a 2nd set of fogs to experiment with...

Again, NICE ! I am changing all the bulbs out as well

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Oh I didn't realize they weren't HID.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I got mine on Ebay.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
935 Posts
Tin snips worked great for me. Anyone find out what size bolt that is for the fog adjustment?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts