Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Seville STS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I need to clean the throttlebody on my car to hopefully fix the rough idle it has been experiancing. Once I remove the MAF how do I go about opening the throttlebody valve to get up inside it and clean it out. Is it ok to clean it while it is still on the car or do I need to completely remove it first.
Thanks for any help you all can give.

·
Registered
NONE
2,027 Posts
You don't have to remove anything once you remove the MAF. You can either put something heavy on the gas pedal to hold it up against the firewall, or find a small block of wood or something similar and shove it in the lower half of the butterfly. Just be sure you can get it out, and be careful not to drop it inside. The bottom half opens inward, and the top opens outward. I used the handle side of old aluminum snips (lol) to hold each half open. Worked well. It was just the right size. Whatever you put in there, just make sure it's clean and won't damage the aluminum inside the TB.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,065 Posts
............Look in Tech Tips down below.

Remove the MAF and block the throttle wide open. I stuff a lint-free rag into the TB past the butterfly. Now, using TB spray cleaner, rags and an old toothbrush, scrub it all clean - blade and bore. I believe your TB bore has a couple of idle air holes down low - get them scrubbed out. Dry any obvious cleaner puddles and pull the rag with a long needlenose pliers. Release the throttle and install the MAF - if needed, you can shoot the honeycomb airflow straightener ("screen") with some TB cleaner. Be careful of the heated resistors. Put it all back together using a new WIX air filter in the process.

Woooppps........skiller beat me to it.......

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,469 Posts
I use a 9 iron wedged in between the seat and the center console to push my gas pedal to the floor whenever I do my TB cleaning :D

·
Registered
98 Seville STS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday morning there was a hint of the old Idle surge, so I figured well I just need to clean out the throttlebody a little better. So after I cleaned the throttlebody I also took out the Idle speed sensor and cleaned it with the throttle body cleaner as well. After I did this now it runs like it did 4 days ago.
Any ideas? could I have messed up the idle speed sensor by taking it out and cleaning it with the TB cleaner?

·
Registered
Eldorado
33 Posts
Yesterday morning there was a hint of the old Idle surge, so I figured well I just need to clean out the throttlebody a little better. So after I cleaned the throttlebody I also took out the Idle speed sensor and cleaned it with the throttle body cleaner as well. After I did this now it runs like it did 4 days ago.
Any ideas? could I have messed up the idle speed sensor by taking it out and cleaning it with the TB cleaner?
could be but i think that would be hard to do since tb cleaner evaporates so fast. you might try unhooking your battery for a bit then plug it back in and start the car and see if it relearns the proper idle. if that doesnt work then maybe your sensor needs to be adjusted but im not sure if they are adjustable for the later model cars. but either way worst case it is toast and you need a new one they are only like 25 bucks so it is not that bad.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,647 Posts
You talking about the IAC valve? I don't recall them being adjustable. You didn't remove the TPS did you?

·
Registered
98 Seville STS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no I cleaned the IAC sensor the not the TPS. Should I clean the TPS? I figured since it was an idle thing that the TPS would not affect it.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,647 Posts
TPS does not need to be cleaned. I have never cleaned my IAC valve. Did you find your in need of it?

·
Registered
98 Seville STS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I posted a problem a week or 2 ago explaining how my car started ideling rough and when I turned the ac off it was better. It was sugested this problem could be from iether a dirty throtlebody or IAC valve ( i believe they called it an idle speed sensor, but I am pretty sure since it was pertaining to the AC they ment the IAC.) So that is where I got the good idea to clean the sensor. Which leads us to where I am now. I tried unhooking the battery cables tonight for about 10 minutes and then hooking them back up but same result. It does seem to have a slight hesitation in the throttle response when putting the peddle to the floor around 2K but it is not bad and not noticable unless I am WOT.

·
Registered
98 Seville STS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you all think the dealer would be able to diagnose the problem? and if I do take it to the dealer should I tell them everything I have done or just let them do their job?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,065 Posts
A good dealer's shop should be able to do the diagnosis and repair, but you had better have a deep credit card. Labor rates are NOT cheap.

·
Registered
98 Seville STS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well if I choose to wait on taking it to the dealer, do y'all have any suggestions on what else could be causing the problem?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts