Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bumper is like 7' long and chrome, which looks cool, but it has years of white stuff on it. It's like mineral deposits or hard water stains. What's a good way to clean it off without scratching the hell out of the chrome?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have seen chrome cleaner/polish at Wal-mart or car part stores. Used to be real popular when all cars had chrome all over them! I was thinking about buying some last week when I saw it at Wal-mart.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Are you talking about it has all those little spiky looking bumps all over it???

My grandpa has that on the air horn on one of his boats.... We cleaned it up fairly good (but got lazy) by sanding those down with fine grit sand paper, and then finishing it off with some chrome polish.....

If its just dull, then you can get chrome polish, and then finish it off with your favorite wax!!!

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's more of a thick film of white crud. Some JB weld welded itself to a tiny spot on my bumper along time ago and I scraped it off with a flat screwdriver, it took off the film from there but it scratched it.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Use FINE steel wool first, and then use polish......

If that doesnt work, then its probably not coming back......

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Have you got any SOS pads? They'r steel wool with soap inpregnated in them. If ytou have a light touch, you won't scratch the chrome. as for shining up afterwards, some guy at a car show told me that the best thing for chrome is WINDEX!!!!! It offers absolutely no protection, but it will out-shine and out-gloss anything on the market when it is first put on - until it rains or you get some gunk on the bumper.. I tried it and it works like he said.

·
Registered
433 Posts
To get rid of all the crud and oxidation, I always use fine steel wool (#000) and chrome polish. I think the stuff I use is the No.7 or Turle Wax. But any brand will work. Use as much pressure as you need. You're not going to scratch it. (Fine steel wool *dry* works wonders on glass too) And then buff off with clean dry cloth.

Once you get all the crud off you can maintain the finish with plain old windex. It's easy, and it works. :) And when you have as much chrome and stainless trim as I do, EASY IS GOOD!!!! :D

After each winter I use the steel wool and chrome polish when there is no longer a threat of salt use. Then I maintain with the windex at each detail session.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Oh... also... DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF STEEL WOOL ON FAKE CHROME TRIM!!!!

That cannot be emphasized enough. If you have a newer caddy with the chromed plastic, you will scratch the finish. I know this doesn't have anything to do with you Dave, but I wanted to issue the warning to others. It seems like common sense, but I have heard of quite a few people ruining their trim because of this.

You WILL ruin your trim if you use steel wool on chromed plastic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nevr-Dull Rocks! If you're too cheap, or just can't find it, you can make a paste from baking soda and water that works pretty good too. Just mix enough water in a bowl with the baking soda to make a soft paste. Rub with a soft cloth, and rinse the residue away. Also, you can treat those HUGE bumpers with Rain-Ex to help keep them clean, and make cleaning the bugs easier too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, well... :banghead2 :worship: j/k :halo: I was just giving some insight as one who has a LOT of personal experience with Nevr-Dull. Just giving my .02. Trying to make some friends on here.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
We have that Never Dull stuff, it was OK but I've used stuff I like better on chrome. Turtle Wax chrome polish is OK too. Last year one of the cars was apart for a body job and I used something on all the chrome off it that worked real well. Everything came off very easily. I forget what the stuff is called now but I think it's main purpose is pots and chrome faucets and stuff, at least that's what it seemed to be advertized the most for on the package. It came from a hardware store. I used Autosol Metal Polish on the Cadillac. It worked great for getting some rust pits off the back bumper and shining up the chrome and the parts i used it on still look perfect after you wash the car. I think even Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish did an OK job on chrome but so far I've been most happy with those other ones.

I think my Cadillac has the same white stuff you're talking about in a few areas too. Kinda feels crusty. I haven't tried Never Dull on it yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
that stuffs all good and stuff guys but for a 1978 which has a front bumper similiar to my 76 coupe my girl friend cleaned the chrome with white vinegar, no shitting you, white vinegar. i didn't believe it myself untill she cleaned it and it looks awesome now, its been a month since she did it and it still shine's like new. trust me save time and money. my 2 cents

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
toomanytoyz said:
To get rid of all the crud and oxidation, I always use fine steel wool (#000) and chrome polish. I think the stuff I use is the No.7 or Turle Wax. But any brand will work. Use as much pressure as you need. You're not going to scratch it. (Fine steel wool *dry* works wonders on glass too) And then buff off with clean dry cloth.

Once you get all the crud off you can maintain the finish with plain old windex. It's easy, and it works. :) And when you have as much chrome and stainless trim as I do, EASY IS GOOD!!!! :D

After each winter I use the steel wool and chrome polish when there is no longer a threat of salt use. Then I maintain with the windex at each detail session.
I found some steel wool lying around and used it. It took me about an hour to go over both bumpers, the grille, and most all the chrome trim on the front and back of the car. It all shines now and I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't used any chrome polish yet, just the steel wool. Should I just go ahead and use the polish even though I'm happy with the way it looks now?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If anything, use the polish for longer lasting protection...... Then follow up with a good wax.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rubbing compound that they sell at autozone works great and it's cheap $1.99 for a can and you only need a tiny amount, rub lightly with a clean cotton t-shirt and wipe of excess. works for me my chrome is shining like new again!

p.s. it won't leave scratches or swirls either!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
Spock