Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine whole center console/shifter is sticky and dirty. Not sure what would be the best to use on the wood grain?

Also, the passenger front seat belt gets twisted up at the shoulder part, not sure if there's a way to get in there and mess with it so it stops twisting up and getting stuck.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The finish on the wood is pretty robust, I've used windex, invisible glass and tuff stuff on it. I'd carefully vacuum any loose debris up, so as not to scratch it while wiping it, and use tuff stuff to get the sticky stuff off of it. Of course warm soapy water would work too, but only use a slightly damp towel and not too much soap. Also I'd recommend microfiber to avoid getting swirls in the finish.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
For deep cleaning you really need to start disassembling the parts.

For center console, remove the CD changer if you have. Then pull out the bins if you have. As far as I remember there should be some screws at the bottom of console container and you need to unscrew them. Now you can easily remove the console container too and start to clean the area.

If your cup holder is dirty too, you need to remove it for cleaning. To remove cup holder, you need to remove console trim plate and also latch and remove two fasteners from front edge of cup holder. Now you can pull out the cup holder for cleaning.

To clean the trim plate around the shifter, remove the wood trim around the shifter. It is easy, shift the car to N, and use an small screw driver to pry the trim. You will be surprised by observing the amount of dirt around the shifter.

The brand for cleaning product is a personal preference. I use Autoglym products. The autoglym conditioner is anti static and it keeps the interior dust free for a while... I use the same product for wood trim too, although it is not specifically for wood! :D
http://www.amazon.com/Autoglym-VRC500US-Vinyl-Rubber-Care/dp/B001151E5I/ref=pd_sim_auto_1
http://www.amazon.com/Autoglym-03500-Car-Interior-Shampoo/dp/B00114WOBC/ref=pd_sim_auto_5
For that twisted seat belt, remove the seat belt plastic covers, and then you should be able to untwist the belt.

Last summer I did all of these works for cleaning the interior, it is easy, but you need to be patient and take your time....

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,158 Posts
When I installed the DTS console in my car the shifter was filthy and sticky. I really had to clean and polish the wood real good. The shifter looked like it had been bathed in some soda more than once and was very hard to move. I had to completely disassemble it to clean and lube it. It was not a difficult job. Yours may not be in as bad of a condition. It was REALLY abused.

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
Also, if you want to remove the black dirt off the shifter leather, I have had good luck using a damp cloth with Windex to remove the grime. Please not, this is not recommended leather care! But for the shifter handle, it needs some deep cleaning. Then wipe it with plain water and follow up with normal leather care products. the shift handle on my car (shale color) was horrible when I got it, some mechanic had got grease all over, looked more like black!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My shifter is wood grain so no need for that but thanks though :D

Thanks for the tips. I need to remove the whole center console anyways since the shop that installed my sound system didn't ground my radio correctly so it shuts off and turns back on when a heavy bass note hits, sometimes its just random.

Soda from going to fast food places a lot got the center console sticky and tobacco from a swisher got stuck on the shifter area. Hoping too I can fix the "shifter hard to get out of Park" issue, any info on that?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do

For the seat belt, do you mean the plastic pieces that run along side of the chair next to the pillar? Or the very top piece that it comes out of?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Will do

For the seat belt, do you mean the plastic pieces that run along side of the chair next to the pillar? Or the very top piece that it comes out of?
The very top next to the headrest separates into two halves. One piece of plastic on the side of the seats is just trim, the other is the side impact airbag module.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Will do

First of all I assuming the belt is twisted from the top. Start from that long plastic piece that is behind the seat and as you said it runs along side of the chair next to the pillar. It may give you enough clearance and access to untwist the belt. Else proceed removing two other covers near to the headrest. As I am checking the seat now it seems that you will not be able to remove those two halves without removing that long piece first. So start from that long piece. And yes, I have a Cadillac Seville seat in my bedroom! How cool is that! :D

Update: I forgot to say, initially you need to remove seat back trim cover first to be able to remove that long piece which runs along the pillar.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I remove the back seat trim cover? That piece on my driver chair is coming out :(

The problem with the belt is that when bigger ppl sit in the car it gets pulled out far so I have to move the "spinning" shoulder part in a circle and try to slide the belt so it's flat, kinda confusing but yeah it will get stuck and not want to retract

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
1-Grab the lower end of the cover and pull it out. 2- Then slide the whole cover down a bit. The cover should be released.
Then inspect the inside of the cover to see is there any broken clip. The cover is coming out because of a broken clip or a clip is not engaged.

I really didn't get the problem of seat belt, but after inspection you can see whether the belt is good or you need the change the whole thing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the wood trim around the shifter removed but i can't figure out how to undo the 3 (2 seat warmers, 1 traction control) connectors?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,158 Posts
If there is no locking tab they should just pull off. I can't remember how mine are on there. I should because I was in there many. many times trying to get the TC button to work after the console install. That said, mine might be different than yours. Bottom line is it is either safety latched or it isn't.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got the trim piece to turn 90 degrees and saw where the big blue connector for the seat warmers, left it plugged in anyways and got my center console cleaned finally!

Unfortunately my cup holder still won't stay shut and since its always down and I'm constantly putting cups on the right holder it left a good gouge in the center trim piece :(

Oh yeah, one big thing I noticed is that the green motherboard under neath my driver seat isn't attached anymore.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah it feels pretty deep, its fine. I'm gonna most likely own this car til it dies. Almost at 160k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts