Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. i am still working on my 84 eldo and i am in the middle of rebuilding the cylinder heads. i took out all the valves, springs, retainers and keepers and inspected them. the valves had a crazy amount of carbon on them so, i hit them with a wire wheel, degreased all the rest of the valve components. the heads themselves look pretty good except for the coolant passages. they are not blocked or nothing but, i removed all the rust and or scale chunks i could with a long screwdriver and look better but, still not ready to put them back on. i dont have a lot of money now to take them to a machine shop so, i was hoping for a cheap alternative. i know this may sound crazy but, someone told me to try CLR on them since they are cast iron and not aluminum. not trying to get them perfect but, i just dont need to have some good size chunks breaking loose outa those heads when i go to start the car. have a brand new radiator for it and dont want to have a clog in it. do you think the CLR would work or, is there anything else i can try? it has the 4100 motor.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
you should check valves for stem wear and guide wear also. i have spent time cleaning heads/valves and ended up rebuilding them with new valves. does not cost much to have your heads hot tanked.

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
since you are not replacing any parts on the heads, why do you call it rebuilding them? no valve job, no new seals, your just cleaning them. suppose you could paint them, give it a krylon rebuild.

·
Registered
1984 eldorado
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
krylon is good but, i prefer rust-oleum. i am replacing the valve stem seals, checked the heads for warpage and checked the vaves stems, faces and margins. combustion chambers look good too. price for dippin them is 80.00 which i do not have right now. just thought there was another way. thanks for the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts