Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never used a Clay Bar on a car, Can anyone tell me the correct way to use one. Do you do th:thepan:e whole car? Do you just look for spots to do?

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,270 Posts
You do the whole car (in three square foot sections) per the instructions. I've used Mothers Clay Bar and Blue Coral clay bar; both did an excellent job. Whichever brand you got, or are going to get, should have complete instructions on the box. Takes time, and you have to wax or somehow else protect the newly smoothed surface.

·
Registered
White diamond 05 CTS 3.6L Euro
181 Posts
I've used it once and it's very easy. I ordered Maguire's clay kit and it came with easy to understand instruction, in fact it got some sort of a visual aid on the packaging it self lol

Each clay manufacture suggests using either soapy water or quick detailing spray, but you need to wash and clean your car before AND after you clay it ….

It's very important to keep mixing the clay as you work the car to avoid scratching the surface…

Don’t forget to wax it after your done claying…

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
umm ive been wondering about this for a while...what does it do? ive just heard comments about clay..
ne 1 have a link to what is is used for?

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
It picks up stuff like tree sap that you don't get off with normal washing and helps prep the finish for wax or further cleaning, polishing & waxing, depending on how much you get into cleaning your car.

·
Registered
Cadillac
80 Posts
You want to wash your car first dry or leave a little water on the car is fine.

Next break the bar into two pieces then use one bar and fold over itself on top so a clen side is exposed always and use the Clay lube supplied by the clay manufacturer it is better than using soap water as a lube.

After each section wipe e residue up and move on to next section to clay start at top and do the bottom sections last.

If caly gets too dirty use second batch of clay that you broke off.

Use plenty of lube to clay and if you drop the clay throw it away do not use it !!!
If car is new or like new then that slhild be good enough but if it is older then you need to use a cleaner like Megiuars Deep Crystal cleaner.

Good luck:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts