Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 08
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used clay bars. Will I need to use a clay bar before applying Rejex to my new CTS when it arrives or can I just wash with Dawn and use Rejex?

If I need to use a clay bar-which one is recommended and how does one use it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
480 Posts
It's a good idea to clay-bar your car, after a wash, before waxing to remove minor surface impurities. Go with a medium grade bar and look for it at your local paint supply store. I recommend staying away from the hotel-sized bars included in the kits offered by most auto parts stores. You can get a full-sized bar for about the same $$$ if not less. Paint supply stores will also have the lubricant you'll need too.

Basically, you spray on the lubricant (there are various you can use, what I use doesn't come to mind), and swirl the bar, in a waxing-like motion, in the lubricant over the paint. And wash it all off with water.

It's an extra step and costs more but if you're serious about your waxing, this will give you a better result.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
It's a good idea to clay-bar your car, after a wash, before waxing to remove minor surface impurities. Go with a medium grade bar and look for it at your local paint supply store. I recommend staying away from the hotel-sized bars included in the kits offered by most auto parts stores. You can get a full-sized bar for about the same $$$ if not less. Paint supply stores will also have the lubricant you'll need too.

Basically, you spray on the lubricant (there are various you can use, what I use doesn't come to mind), and swirl the bar, in a waxing-like motion, in the lubricant over the paint. And wash it all off with water.

It's an extra step and costs more but if you're serious about your waxing, this will give you a better result.
I used a weak solution of zano car wash soap in an atomizer as a lubricant,it worked fine,probably any car soap would work.This is what zano
recomended.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
I've never used clay bars. Will I need to use a clay bar before applying Rejex to my new CTS when it arrives or can I just wash with Dawn and use Rejex?

If I need to use a clay bar-which one is recommended and how does one use it?

Thanks!
I'm not an expert,but I wouldn't think a new vehicle requires claying,check with a body shop.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Any car delivered by rail needs claying. Test: take a baggie and put your hand in it. Drag your hand over the car. If it is smooth you will know it and if it is not you need to clay the car.
I don't understand why people are afraid of claying.
There is nothing to it.
Spray your lubricant and pass the clay over the lubricant. Don't push hard, just glide it, the clay will draw the rail dust, etc out of the paint.
You will be surprised at the amount of crap on a new car.
When the clay starts looking contaminated, Knead it and fold it until you have a clean side, then continue.
I always spread an old sheet on the ground under my work because I always drop the clay bar a couple of times.

It takes about 15 minutes.

When I clay, I wash the car first in Dawn dish washing soap. About a table spoon for a gallon of water.
It takes off road grime and any wax. Dawn cuts grease. Wax is grease.
Then I clay using a teaspoon of dawn in a spray bottle as the lube.
Then I wash the car quickly ... it already has some remnants of Dawn on it from the lube.
Then I dry it thoroughly.

To dry the car I use water to start with.
Turn off the hose. Take the sprayer off the end of the hose, turn the water on low, very low, and dribble it on the car. The water will sheet off.
Then I use a nice cotton towel to dry up the few remaining droplets.
Then it is time to wax or put on a polymer.
I use Zaino, the original polymer.
I use Z2 with the accelerator mixed in and I put it on SUPER thin.
With the accelerator, it is ready to be wiped off in about 10 minutes.
Don't BUFF! Waste of effort. Just wipe the hazed Z2 off.
I put on about 3 coats and I am done.
I just did this to my CTS and it took about 2 hours total. I am done now for 6-9 months.
Oh, and give the dawn back to your wife. You are through with it until you decide to strip it
all the way down to the clear coat again.
Dawn won't remove Zaino, but you will get a higher shine if you use the Zaino car wash.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI FE2
6 Posts
As a auto detailer who has been in the business for almost 37 years now, i had never used a clay bar until this year. I find that the same results can achieved by sanding the car, clay bar just requires less 'Elbow Grease'.

But on another note why do you need to spend so much time on a new car? These practices i only use for major damage to the car or overspray/fallout. Now this talk about "rail dust" may be a problem for some. But using a clay bar might be excessive, i would favor a higher ph soap when you wash the car the first time. Then again I live in the Detroit Area so my guess is that mine never traveled by train.

Sanding a car is alot like clay baring it. Using 4000 Grit or higher LIGHTLY( nearly no pushing effort, just back and forth) Sand the entire painted area. You will feel the difference in the smoothness of the paint by touch.

WARNING SANDING YOUR CAR IS REMOVING THE CLEAR COAT, Just like using a Wheel DON"T Burn of the CLEAR COAT.

Wash->Sand/Clay Bar(if Needed)->Wheeling the Car(If Needed)->Random Orbital aka Jitter Bug Wax-> Done

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
StarCarrell

you answered you own question: why to use clay bar? For the same reason you are using 4,000 Grit sandpaper....however, it is much safer! Especially in the hand of weekend "detailers" like us....

I do use clay bar but would never use the sandpaper....unless I woul dhave to repair damaged area....for cases like that I have the PC random orbital sander and 3M polishing compaund....I find it safer...at least it works for me....

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Does a clay bar affect the clear coat?
Absolutely not.
You just glide the clay around on the lubricant. back and forth on a bad spot,but keep it well lubed and there is NO abrasion. And knead the clay to keep a (relatively) clean side down.

Personally I throw away the clay bar after 1 claying......

BTW Rail dust is minute particles of metal that embeds. Even Dawn won't remove it.
Just use the baggie test.
Before.
And after.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
Does a clay bar affect the clear coat?
No, it does not.

Clay bar action is more to attracts particles/contaminants, trap them instead of sanding off....as Southern said, make sure you lubricate the area well. You will be amazed how big a difference clay bar can make….

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Agreed with Mo. I buy all my products from griotsgarage.com I use the clay bar every time I wax. After washing, feel the paint, especially in high dirt areas. Clay bar that area and then feel it. You will be hooked. Clay bar is a must!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts