Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my wiper blades dragging across the windscreen. Tried every type of blade from cheap of the cheap to $20 buck blades; No luck. A body man that I know suggested trying out a clay bar to "clean" the windshield...Has anyone ever heard or tried this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I've clean the crap out of the windshield with different types of glass cleaners and used different types of clothes from old sucks to newspaper stock to microfiber towels. (I use a bug wash with a "rain X" type substance in it if that makes it difference to anyone.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
WOW! Rain-X didn't work? Try scraping the windshield with a razor blade and then reapply the Rain-X.
Rain-X works so good for me that I never use my wipers. Still have the factory blades at 113K. On the rare occasion that I do give them a swipe, they glide across the windshield.

Never tried a clay bar, but doubt it will do any more than everything else you've tried.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Clay bars work even better on glass than they do on paint. You can also use 0000 steel wool. The razor blade method will do just fine too, takes a bit longer though.

However, are you sure the windshield isn't pitted?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,792 Posts
You can also use 0000 steel wool.
Oooooo, hadn't thought of that. I like that idea.

The reason I mentioned a razor is because that is what a repair guy used once when he came to repair a stone bullseye in my windshield before he applied the suction cup.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger I don't actually use the Rain X in the traditional sense; The washer solvent I use has already in it. Rain beads up and rolls off great but when I do turn my wipers on it "chatters" on the driver side. MCab I don't think there is any defect in the glass at least nothing that I could see. I have plenty of razor blades and steel wool (think its 0000) in the ol'Cabinet . Going to give that a try before I go buy one of those clay bars. I don't use the wipers much but when I do that noise drives me nuts.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If you use the steel wool you already have, BE SURE it's 0000.

Wiper alignment issues can also cause chatter. The hooked part of the arm where the blade attached should be parallel to the flattest part of the windshield.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,334 Posts
I use clay bar on all the windows when I clay bar the entire car about every 4 months. My car is outside all the time in Las Vegas sun.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Ranger I don't actually use the Rain X in the traditional sense; The washer solvent I use has already in it. Rain beads up and rolls off great but when I do turn my wipers on it "chatters" on the driver side. MCab I don't think there is any defect in the glass at least nothing that I could see. I have plenty of razor blades and steel wool (think its 0000) in the ol'Cabinet . Going to give that a try before I go buy one of those clay bars. I don't use the wipers much but when I do that noise drives me nuts.
=============================
I bet the pivot points of wiper arms or wiper transmission are worn -

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Try the clay bar and see what happens. If not maybe it is a worn out part like basscatt mentioned. Do you have those springs on the arms that were big for a while to make them apply more pressure? The only time I've had blades drag is when the wipers are turned on or at a faster speed then necessary.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Autozone sells a little packet that has a spongy little pad in it. You add a tiny bit of water and mix it up, then scrub your windshield with it. It may be very similar in function to a clay bar, but I've never used on so I don't know. Anyway, the little packet I think is $1.99. I've used it on my own car with good results, and several customers cars when I used to work there. I haven't seen it at the other parts stores.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went and found a new arm at my local salvage yard and replaced it this morning; Problem solved. It must have been tweaked a little causing the vibration.

----------

Great video got some tips I had not thought of.

·
Registered
1997 Deville
118 Posts
Clay bars work even better on glass than they do on paint. You can also use 0000 steel wool. The razor blade method will do just fine too, takes a bit longer though.

However, are you sure the windshield isn't pitted?
i have been using clay bars for years, works great! now they even have bars made specifically for the glass! detailers use that also !

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Claybar is fine to use just be careful that you start with a very clean windshield beacuse if it picks up any dirt it can scratch things up very easily. Then again steel wool and razor blade can do the same damage if you aren't careful.
Some people say that products like RainX are a contributing factor to this kind of problem because of the film that it puts on the windshield that is purposely hard to get off but I've only had the problem when the wipers are set at a higher speed then the amount of rain you're getting.
I also use that rain-X wiper fluid. It's one of the very types that actually works properly when it's very cold out.

·
Premium Member
2005 Deville Base
328 Posts
I have an issue with my wiper blades dragging across the windscreen. Tried every type of blade from cheap of the cheap to $20 buck blades; No luck. A body man that I know suggested trying out a clay bar to "clean" the windshield...Has anyone ever heard or tried this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I've clean the crap out of the windshield with different types of glass cleaners and used different types of clothes from old sucks to newspaper stock to microfiber towels. (I use a bug wash with a "rain X" type substance in it if that makes it difference to anyone.
There is a very good informative video on youtube on super cleaning you auto glass. The guy uses 0000 steel wool and finishes with rainX. I tried it and was very pleased with the results. My wipers chattered before I tried this, but now are soothe and quiet.

·
Registered
2003 DTS Limousine
56 Posts
The 0000 steel wool works great for me and follow it up with a good coating of Rain X. Harldy ever have to use the wipers. I put the Rain X on all of my glass.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,719 Posts
I
I've used 0000 steel wool method and Varsol (paint thinner) as the lubricate. Works very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts