Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a letter in the mail today from Patrick Law Firm (Dallas). In reference to complaints and defects. Has anyone else received this, and if so, did you make contact yet?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I need to receive this letter. My vehicle has been riddled with issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I received a letter in the mail today from Patrick Law Firm (Dallas). In reference to complaints and defects. Has anyone else received this, and if so, did you make contact yet?
How did Patrick Law Firm get your name? What is the lawsuit about specifically and is it a "class action" suit? What models are affected? All CTS models? What year(s)? Can you post the letter you received? More details would be nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did Patrick Law Firm get your name? What is the lawsuit about specifically and is it a "class action" suit? What models are affected? All CTS models? What year(s)? Can you post the letter you received? More details would be nice.
My wife told me about it as it came in the mail. She also gave me the phone number and I spoke to someone who said an atty will get be back with me. Don't know yet. When I get home from a business trip I'll let you know all about it. I am going in for 2 recalls (the heated seats and the power steering gear motor, something like that) end of next week.
I'm surprised no one else has received anything in the mail as I've never been to the dealership EVER!!! I purchased this 2014 in 11/15 and it's only needed oil changes (local) and tires (Costco). Never had any problems with it so far at 42,000 miles. I do not (repeat) do not trust most part guessers at dealerships, sorry but either do some myself or local mechanic(s); and this all started in California when a "master" mechanic at the "very good" Chevrolet Dealership was working on my new '81 Vette. I walked up to him at 9 am and the alcohol on his breath knocked me over!! And NO it was not from the night before.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
There have been a lot of problems with GM made 8 speeds used across GM lines, including Cadillac. So GM is getting sued over it. Maybe that's what this is about?

Harsh shifts, hard downshifts coming to a stop (described as feeling like they got rear ended), torque converter shudder, it's a mess. Go to the CT6 section of the forum and read the huge threads about issues this POS has. Lawsuit even referenced one of the threads in the CT6 section. GM has tried numerous fixes, all failed so far, jury is out on latest one.

But the CTS Vsport uses a different tranny made in Japan IIRC, not much reported wrong with it that I've seen. I've been considering moving up to either a CT6 or CTS Vsport, no way would I buy a CT6 made during the 8 speed years after reading about the POS tranny.

Ambulance chasers probably said "CTS with an 8 speed, let's go for them too" not knowing the Vsport is different is my guess.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How many miles are these bad tranny's getting on them ? Before they start acting up ? Is there a different kind of maintenance schedule for an 8 speed transmission ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife told me about it as it came in the mail. She also gave me the phone number and I spoke to someone who said an atty will get be back with me. Don't know yet. When I get home from a business trip I'll let you know all about it. I am going in for 2 recalls (the heated seats and the power steering gear motor, something like that) end of next week.
I'm surprised no one else has received anything in the mail as I've never been to the dealership EVER!!! I purchased this 2014 in 11/15 and it's only needed oil changes (local) and tires (Costco). Never had any problems with it so far at 42,000 miles. I do not (repeat) do not trust most part guessers at dealerships, sorry but either do some myself or local mechanic(s); and this all started in California when a "master" mechanic at the "very good" Chevrolet Dealership was working on my new '81 Vette. I walked up to him at 9 am and the alcohol on his breath knocked me over!! And NO it was not from the night before.....
OK. It's a letter of solicitation. Patrick bought a mailing list from DDM Marketing; however, the letter states 2015-2018 CTS or ATS and goes on to say "defects included but not limited to transmission problems, erratic shifting and/or shaking-vibration, engine problems/stalling/check engine defects, electrical issues, brake and power steering defects". 1-888-LEMON-81 And Russ, attorney solicitation has been legal for quite a while-not that i agree with it.
Mine is a 2014 but when I take it in next week (which I dread-I understand the steering recall but I'd prefer not to do the heated seats since I rarely use them) and we will see if it comes back BETTER than it goes in. I've read on here where there are problems of a different nature after "service" is performed for a completely different issue (wish I had a camera like one of the posters on here has)-Wish Me Luck....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'm sold. I had the 2 recalls taken care of at Sewell Cadillac of Grapevine (Dallas area) and the customer service is better than anything I have ever witnessed. Starts out with cappuccino and cookies and then a free ride to the airport (DFW)-I left the vehicle from Thursday and picked up Monday, they only put 9/10 of a mile on it for testing. All the customers in the waiting room could not tell me enough how great this place is-they even drive across town to come here. Anyway, the heated seat recall, according to the service rep, entails a software upgrade is all. Well I am now getting new items for the better showing up on dash and cue. I will definitely go back there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's great you are happy with your dealership, it's really hit and miss. Can you elaborate on the new items showing up on the dash and cue? Thank you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I now get the weather (never had this before but never thought I needed it as before I travel I always check weather/NOAA on my iPhone; plus, my windshield is clean & clear so I can see it coming...LOL) and mostly the navigation seems to have more features. Oh, also as I was sitting with my brake pedal depressed in reverse, the seat shook and the red light flashed as another cadillac at the dealership was driving behind me, I was locked in place so there was no movement on my part but this had never happened before. There are probably more things I noticed but just recall as of right now. Why do you ask? Just Curious?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watch out for class action lawsuits. Note that I am not a lawyer, so what I am saying here is from experience.
There are a class of lawyers that make a living filing class action suits. They are essentially extortion on large corporations. These types of suits automatically assumes you are part of the class UNLESS you opt out. I used to pay attention to these. My Dad (now deceased) told me to ignore them because they usually waste your time and give you nothing. They rely on you to jump for the suit in hopes of giving you money, with these stipulations: 1. There is no distribution until after all legal fees are paid. The companies being sued usually fight these rigorously, so the suing law firm will spend $Millions pressing it, and the company will spend even more.
2. The usual outcome is that they will negotiate a settlement (not it does not end up in a trial) just to go away, and some people might get a warranty extension for one or two items: e.g. a transmission warranty extension.
3. Usually, the suing law firm's fees exceed the amount of the remaining benefit after the warranties or other benefit is extended. This benefit will NOT typically give you any money, just a repair if needed.
4. If there is money left after the lawyer's fees are covered, then is when you run up against the Payout limit. These suits are set up to ask for, and give very little to the class participants, usually less than $10. For this, it will not exceed the payout minimum limit, so the class gets nothing in cash.
5. Conclusion of the suit may take several years, so plan for 3-5 years for any benefit other than $0.00.

In the end, the suing lawyers make millions from a steady job, and the class is there only as a matter of convenience. The cause to them could have been leaky washing machines. My recommendation to all, is to read the class action lawsuit notice carefully, and if it is full of gotchas, just ignore it.

There are exceptions: The only advantage to me was a suit involving recovery of funds for credit card companies charging their customers a 3% fee for making charges in another country. For the period in question, I had traveled extensively overseas, and had charged over $10,000, so my 3% was around $300. To qualify, I did all the due diligence to prove my recovery claim, then waited. After about 3 years, I got a check for about $60. The work I did to qualify was not worth it. Live and learn. I learned that I needed to trust my Dad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts