Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 SLS yesterday. When I make a right hand turn it makes a loud clanking noise when I turn right only. I took it to belle tire and they can't find the problem. They had four seperate people test drive it and when the had it on the lift they all couldn't find out what the problem was. I was wondering if anyone here has had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
I was going to suggest CV joint, but I think that would make more of a clunk than a "clank" and if you had it in a shop and on a lift and they can't find it, I'm sure I can't be of much help from here. Maybe another opinion from an alignment shop. Gotta be something in the front end.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,032 Posts
..........front sway bar bushings or sway bar link rods ?????

·
Administrator
71,032 Posts
Bat Crap !!! Only way the starter would rattle is if the solenoid/Bendix spring is broken, and that's a stretch. Read up on how to pull the intake manifold (it's dry and the starter is in the valley) and you can do the whole job, starter included, with simple hand tools either in your garage or driveway in 2 hours. Rebuilt starter and all gaskets - $250, max. Look at your car in www.rockauto.com.

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bat Crap !!! Only way the starter would rattle is if the solenoid/Bendix spring is broken, and that's a stretch. Read up on how to pull the intake manifold (it's dry and the starter is in the valley) and you can do the whole job, starter included, with simple hand tools either in your garage or driveway in 2 hours. Rebuilt starter and all gaskets - $250, max. Look at your car in www.rockauto.com.

I found a shop close to my job that will do it for $350 with a 1 year warranty. Thanks for the info i might decided to try to do it myself. I can get a premium brand new starter with core exchange for $118

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup you were RIGHT!!!! The bendix was broken on the starter. I had the starter and both crank sensors replaced for $690. She's running like new again!!!

Thanks again!:)

·
Administrator
71,032 Posts
Well, how 'bout that........one to file in long term memory. Glad you found the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts