Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Automotive Leasing Guide, the resale value of a Chrysler vehicle dropped six percent in the week following the company’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing.

In just seven days the uncertainty about Chrysler’s future crept into the marketplace in a very real way, damaging the resale values for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep products almost equally.

Prior to the bankruptcy filing a three-year old Chrysler was worth 34.8 percent of its original value. After the filing, that amount dropped to just 28.8 percent.

The value of a three-year old Dodge went from 37.3 percent to 31.2 percent and three-year old Jeep vehicles declined in value from 38.4 percent of the original purchase price to 32.4 percent.

The news isn’t good for those who recently purchased a Chrysler vehicle and as the declines are based on percentage they can take a significant toll on pricey models – like SUVs or the Challenger SRT8 pictured above.

In comparison, a three-year old Toyota retains 45.5 percent of its original value.

[Source: UPI.com]

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2009/05/chrysler-resale-values-drop-6-in-one-week-after-bankruptcy-filing.html

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Auto leasing guides are speculative, just like the speculators who artificially drove the price of oil high enough to bring us $4.50 gas (thanks guys!). The market determines the value of used vehicle- it's worth what people will pay you for it. A few years back the Escalades had residuals of 50% after 3 years, which was probably 10% (or more) higher than they were actually worth.

I don't put much stock in the Auto Leasing Guide.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to throw stones here, but the numbers that they're presenting don't seem that far off base. Keep in mind that I just traded in an '07 Chrysler product that I had purchased new (lost 50% in two years).

Market prices being "what we can get at auction" and honestly I'd take what the speculators are proposing over any dealer's proposed "market value". Again, not my intent to throw stones, that's not why I posted in the first place, but let's call a spade a spade. These cars lose value much faster than anyone would like to admit.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I think we're agreeing. :lol:

It's been my experience over 10 years in the business that Chrysler products have THE worst depreciation of anything on the market. My point wasn't that Chrysler products hold their value, but rather that a speculative guess regarding what today's Chrysler's will be worth in 3 years is just that- a guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts