Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The pics aren't the best; I'm still figuring out the shutter/aperture settings on the SLR. Will try and get some better pictures before the Jags beat up on New England (LOL)

I like the rims a lot better than I thought, the quality (to my amature eyes) looks exellent. I even like the silver stock caps.The local Goodyear shop put them on and charged $125 for dismount/mount & balance of the old tires on the new rims. So now I've got about 1500 miles left on the tires to make my decision on new rubber....

I've also come to the realization that I don't like the black logo on the calipers. I wish it was more like the Vette's raised lettering.

·
Registered
CTS-V
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
www.oemrims.com did it. They've got an exchange program, where they ship you the rims first, you mount and send them your stock rims. They did require a deposit of $1000 which will be credited to your credit card after they receive your old rims. Total cost is $600 for the plating plus $95 shipping (each way; chromed to me, stock to them). I assume that the shipping charges are not flat rate and are relative to where live.

It was very straight forward. You reuse the box that the plated rims came in to send your stock ones back, and OEM Rims preprinted the return labels you affix to the box.

·
Registered
07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci
736 Posts
Even if you decided to keep your OEM rims for winter driving and not return them for the $400 core credit; they are a bargain at the price of $1000 plus shipping for a set of chrome plated OEM rims. If they are in fact hexavalent chrome plated ( copper flash, bright nickel plated and then chrome flashed ) they are a steal at the price of $1000.00

We have in-house hexavalent chrome plating equipment, however our immersion tanks are not large enough to accomodate wheel rims. The labor involved in processing hexavalent chrome (show chrome) is extremely labor intensive. After the part is plated in copper, it has to be hand polished on a buffing wheel to a mirror finish. The copper tank process takes approx 30 minutes in the tank and I would venture to guess at least 6 hours of polishing before it is ready for nickel bath immersion which means that those rims sit in a nickel bath at 165 degrees for approximately 1 hour and are then polished again. Finally they are inspected for any weak areas and then dropped into a flash chrome immersion tank for approximately 30 seconds and you have chromed wheels.

The final product is then left to hang dry and then inspected and polished and ready for packaging for delivery.

3 stage hexavalent show chrome plating is very labor intensive which is why even a small part is expensive to have chromed.

Can you share with us whether they are in fact hexavalent chrome plated. Allot of wheels that come from overseas are not. They are simply nickel plated and then flash chromed and either carry no chrome warranty or a very limited one at best.

Most if not all 3 stage chrome platers will offer a 2 or 3 year warranty on there chrome plating against cracking or spider-webbing of the chrome plating if it is in fact a true hexavalent chrome plate ( copper, nickel and flash chrome).

In addition Urb; all of the paint on the substrate has to be media blasted from the substrate surface and the part has to be cleaned in acid and neutralized before the chrome plating process can even begin. Again; very labor intensive and an outright bargain at a $1000 and I would keep my OEM wheels rather than give them up for $400 in core credit.

Hell; you could sell them one at a time for more than that!

·
Registered
CTS-V
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me clarify. I was charged $1780 and received the rims. I get $1000 credited back when they receive my old rims.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do they do the black-chrome look too you think???

I saw a few cars with that finish and think it would look good on my black V.

Ladis

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
I agree w/ Pete

Keep us informed on how the chrome on these rims hold up. If they are quality chromed, this sounds like a steal.

T

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Chrome rims look great on the V. Its a shame the jags are going down tomorrow. I have to work otherwise I woulda been there.:banghead:

·
Registered
CTS-V
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
arr0gant said:
Your car looks awsum! God the redline is growin' on me!
Thanks! It's growing on me too. It wasn't my first choice but I got a good deal on it.

ahahnu said:
Chrome rims look great on the V. Its a shame the jags are going down tomorrow. I have to work otherwise I woulda been there.:banghead:
I think the Jags will surprise you.....

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
DansCTSV said:
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Sorry counldn't help myself. Bring on Indy!
No way. You're getting Denver and you'll like it. As for Leftwich, I think it was better than Garrard.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I actually meant the Panthers. I got the two cat teams mixed up.The Jags lost anyway. Hopefully the G-men will pull through. I herd my friends talking last night that the league is thrying to get a Giants, Colts game next year for Monday or Sunday Night Football. Thats gonna be good to watch for the next few years in Eli turns out the way everyone is talking.

By the way can we all put our hands together. 1-2-3 woah chrome. Have to stay on topic.;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts