Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my SLS, the window trim is chrome. It is the only part of this car I do not like. Does anyone know of a company, that sells black trim pieces? If not, I will just have to live with it. Thanks in advance.

Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't know, but my best guess is no. Even if someone did, you'd find it cost prohibitive. The belt and the frame molding probally cost $400 a door. Maybe more maybe less, but if you could get the parts for one door for less than $300, it would suprise me.

Painting them could be an option. Masking would be a fun job--if it were possible to mask them and get the results of which a discriminating owner would accept. You could do a teardown, and find a way to pull the plastic/rubber areas back; then, paint, but to get a qualtiy and durable paint job you'll have to give the chrome teeth, so that it will bite the paint. It would be quite a job.

I know it's your car, and you have your likes and dislikes. Here's the issue I see, it's pure opinion, so we may disagree: You have chrome wheels, chrome tips, chrome bezel around the grill, and a chrome emblem in the grill, emblems in the back and wreath in the tailight.

If you black out the doors, it causes unbalance on the car. As a rule of thumb, it's all or nothing with blacking out chrome. (Of course, not the wheels or the exaust tips.)

There are cases, whereby blacking out some chrome enhances the car. I have a 69 Firebird 400. I blacked the chrome strip on the quarter window. This helps disolve the transition between quarter glass and window. Also, I blacked out the wiper arms, making them disapear. (The car has enough other chrome accents so that it still looks balanced.)

Blacking out the chrome on the doors without blacking out all chrome will make the car look unbalanced. Even if you blacked the grill's bezel, the car would still look unbalanced because of the grill emblem, tail emblems and trademark in the the thrid tailight.

Also, blacking out the chrome on the doors will make shorten the area. In other words, it will make the window area look short and fat, rather than lean and long. The way the eye travels has a lot to do with the looks of the car.

It's not that I'm knocking Eldos; rather, it's the only reason a 2 door man chose a 4 door car. When you put the cars side by side, the Eldo is short and fat, whereas the Seville is lean and long. In other words, contary to most comarisons beteen 2 dr/4dr cars, the Seville is a more sleak looking car.

The thing is that you might like short and fat, and here's how you can tell whether you would like such a look: Cover the chrome with electrial tape, and with an super sharp exacto knife, ever so carefully trim the electrical tape so that it covers the chrome. I have a much better than average mind's eye; even so, I would use a mock assembally to make sure that there isn't any miscommunication between my mind's eye and the real thing.

If you do the mock blackout, you can be sure that you have made the decision that best suits your desires.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I do like short and fat. That describes me perfectly.:) (I am 5'7" and weigh 200lbs. I am not fat, I am big boneded). Anyway, the electrical tape is a great idea. My wheels are silver, and the grille surround, next to the silver paint, isn't that noticeable. The exhaust tips are chrome, and the badging. The chrome around the windows, against the black rubber, is a focal point. It stands out, and you cannot notice any other chrome, to compliment it. I will try the tape, and make my decision from there. Thanks again, and all replies, to anything I post on a forum, is always welcome. Even if it is negative. Sometimes it takes somebody, to be brutally honest, to help someone see the light.

Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
I read something between the lines in your reply to me. I didn't take this into consideration, and it shows my shortsighted thought about the matter. You said silver paint. If your car is silver, I might retract my statement. Our cars are identical except that mine is crimson pearl. I sat there, envisioning crimson pearl with blacked out door chrome, and it would really take away from the car, making it look short and fat. A car's shape changes drastically by piaint color. As I envision silver, I could see where the chrome would almost give the car a mismatched tone. It was a major shorsight on my behalf. Try the tape, it's a damn good trick. Leave it for a day or so, but don't leave it on for more than 2 or 3 days TOPS! Otherwise you'll be on my doorstep, I'll hear a knock on the door, and you'll be standing there like this :want:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the electrical tape does gum up pretty quick. That emoticom is awesome. I can't figure out how to post emoticons on this forum. Where are they? Anyway, I am posting a pic of the silver Seville. I am pretty anal when it comes to my cars, and if something isn't right, in my minds eye, it will be changed. Thanks again

Don

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, those pics don't tell the whole story. But, the chrome is very noticeable.

Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey dadillac, it tells enough for me. When I thought about silver, I could instantly see your point in my mind's eye. The way that silver/chrome sit on the color pallette, they sit close enough so that I can see where it almost has a mismatched look.

I'll hang the crimsom pearl beside it.

Woodbridge seems like a nice town/city/whatever, and I used to go to Woodbridge when I was a young man in the 76-79 era. I worked for a wholesale nuresry, and I used to go to Woodbridge to pick up shrubs. I cannot explain where it's at, but I could drive there. The grower's name was John Brown. I think he was a jr, with Dad, who is probally gone by now, still hangin in there, puttering around, making himself uesful.

The Browns were incredible people. After we loaded the truck, but before receiving payment, we had to sit down to a super elaborate dinner, meals that would put the average thanksgiving x-mas meals to shame. (The quality of the cookin'? Unlike anything that has ever crossed your taste buds.) The claim was that afeter loading the truck, he could not conduct the rest of the business on an empty stomach.

There was no way one could refuse the meal; otherwise, it would have insluted him and his family. This eating process took 2 to 4 hours. My boss was aware of the way Mr. Brown conducted business transactions. Of coures, this elaborate meal was usually overtime for me, and my boss would have perfered me to skip the meal. My boss also knew that Mr. Brown would most offended, and I told my boss "Well wtf am I supposed to say to Mr. Brown?" I loved going to Mr. Brown's to pick up shrubs.

You mentioned something about posting something or whatever. I found that because I posted this picture before, it won't allow me to post it again. The way to beat the system is to take the file to imaging software, make a one click alteration, then save it under a new name.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh, you're talking about the little boxing dude. Off to the side of the reply screen. You're not using "quick reply." Rather click the reply at the bottom left of the thread. When you click this one, you'll see the little guys just off to the right. You double click one, or you can hit more, and more options come up.

This is one I need to use when if I ever get into one of those pissin contests.

:deadhorse

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no smilies / emoticons next to my reply window. There is a space for them, but nothing is there. I checked my user cpanel, and, faq. I cannot find anything, that will aloow for these to pop up. Any ideas?

Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry, but I don't have a clue. :banghead:

They should be right there under the "Smiles" in blue lettering
Try a making an :Offtopic: post and see if anyone can help you.

When you attach them, they come up as writing with clons.

Let me try one by typing in the word :banghead:

If the image just after "word" is a guy banging his head, it worked by using keystrokes. If keystrokes don't work, you'll see how it looks before you submit the reply.

If the keystrokes work the keystrokes are :, no space, banghead, no space, and : In other words, save the word "banghead" and delete everything inbetween except for the colons..

I guess we both see if keystrokes work when I submit the reply.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. It really isn't that big a deal. I just like using smilies in my posts. Sometimes I will type in something, that can be taken as hostile, even though I am grinning as I type. So, because I have no smilies to show my emotion, I have been trying to be extremely careful, what / how I type. I also cannot PM anyone. When I try, a message pops up, stating I do not have the privelage. I have never had these problems on other forums. I have gone through my cpanel several times, to try and figure it out. Oh well, no biggy. Thanks again

Don

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
Under 'Miscellaneous Options' under 'Edit Options' of the control panel, Make sure that it says 'Standard Editor - Extra Formatting controls'

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YO YO YO slk230mb

You da man. Thank you. That fixed it. Check it out. :want: :welcome: :worship: :drinker :D :banghead: :bighead: :sneaky:

I am as happy as a kid the day after Christmas. :D
Thanks man

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts