Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 9 spoke chrome wheels on my '06 deluxe III, a few of which are bubbling and flaking badly. There is a tire pressure problem on a few tires as well that I had a local mechanic look at. He took the tires off and applied a sealant stop the leaking. But he said that two of the wheels are bad/corroded and need to be replaced. Has anyone on the forum replaced their chrome wheels? Any recommended vendors? Is their a used market for these? Have only had the vehicle 2 years and half think the dealer should replace them but that's wishful thinking.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac DTS, 1966 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
197 Posts
I think you can go on gmpartsdirect.com and find the wheels might be able to get aftermarket factory too ,,

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
538 Posts
Dealer told me between $650-700 just to replace one damn wheel on my platinum. I bet they run $300 a wheel

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III, 2006 DTS w/sunroof & navigation (scrapped), 1997 ETC (Sold)
209 Posts
I had the flaking, peeling, leaking bead thing going on along with two of my four being slightly bent. I refused to pay the crazy money and bought four aftermarket wheels for the price of one Cadillac rim.
They look great and I can put the money saved into properly taking care of the rest of the car. I just hated to replace mine with more OEM wheels and still have the same issues.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
1 Posts
Okay, I'm playing the devil's advocate here. The local dealer is not going to replace wheels on a nine-year old vehicle you did not even buy from him. Do you service your vehicle there? If so, go to the service manager and ask if he/she would be willing to let you leave your vehicle there on a day when their wheel vendor is there to fix wheels on their used or trade inventory. They may/probably will charge you full-blown retail to fix your wheels but it's better than buying new ones..

Sorry tonyb71, I assumed you didn't buy your DTS at the dealer, but I don't actually know that from your post. Even so, if you've been servicing there your best bet is to try to get the dealer to let you use their wheel vendor. Although re-chroming I do not know how they would accomplish that. Another source might be a salvage yard. With all the flooding and what not not the last few years there is no shortage of used parts...

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
I think you can go on gmpartsdirect.com and find the wheels might be able to get aftermarket factory too ,,
^^^^ GMPARTSDIRECT.COM is going to be your best bet if you want OEM replacements. They are I believe in the $450 range. The nine spoke rim is extremely hard to find for some reason. I am having the same problem and have tapped all the resources I know. I was looking at after market rims and had some being sent to the chrome shop, but it didn't pan out. there is a place in Cali that will re-chrome your wheels for a decent price. But the down side is that no one can guarantee that the re-chroming will last because of existing corrosion and there being no way to ensure that they have got rid of it 100% I am seriously considering buying them from GM direct simply because I AM TIRED OF LOOKING AT BUTT UGLY RIMS, or rims that do fit but belong on a stage coach in relativity to size.:suspense:

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I bet you find those in Ebay a lot cheaper. Might take a some time to get 4 nice rims. Some sets can be hit and miss so I buy 1 or 2 at a time. Heck check CL might get lucky.

·
Registered
No more Cadillacs
680 Posts
I bet you find those in Ebay a lot cheaper. Might take a some time to get 4 nice rims. Some sets can be hit and miss so I buy 1 or 2 at a time. Heck check CL might get lucky.
I have had great luck finding chrome wheel sets on ebay. Also check out carpart.com. This sites searches junkyards across the country. I found a wheel for my 06 lux 3 on that site.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I forgot about Carpart.
I got a perfect rim for my Park Ave few years back for 50. It was going to be a spare but was nicer than ones on the car.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great feedback, thank you. I did buy the deluxe III from the local Cadillac dealer and have gone back for most of my service. By and large I've enjoyed the customer service. I called the service manager, and he described a re-smoothing process of the rim that fixes the tire deflation. I can't paraphrase it correctly but something with a pneumatic brush and a curing process. Obviously the chrome flaking is another issue. That's my fault, I should have inspected the wheels closer before buying. The rest of the car has been great. I will check out those vendors mentioned.

·
Registered
No more Cadillacs
680 Posts
All you need is a wire wheel on a drill to clean up the bead area to stop the leaks, I've fixed a bunch of wheel this way. I don't use any sealer, just cleaning all the flakes and corrosion will seal it up.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The quick seal job is doing its job, keeping the psi at the right level. Still bugged by the flaking chrome but will live with it for now. Thanks for the links to oem suppliers.

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
bradbimmer said:
refurbished doesnt last as long though
Yeah that's true, they don't warranty them either. I won't pay 700+ plus for the dealer replacements. And that's from GM discount online stores. I can't see that price for what they are. Maybe if they were triple chrome and lasted. On the other hand I can't find anything that hits my taste and not going WAY overboard. I'm stumped and frustrated. I see myself breaking down and buying them eventually ---------- $3000 for Oems.....ouch

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
665 Posts
I've had luck buying various aftermarket good-looking wheels from Tire Rack. Their website allows you to bring up a picture of your car, make it the same color as yours, and then you can "try on" any number of wheel rims (just add some tires for the picture, but you don't have to buy those) out of their extensive inventory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts