Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Performance, 2015 SRX Luxury?
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just
Picked up a new to us 2010 back and tan interior performance SRX.

It has 20” chrome wheels we though and they were rather , rashy and some of the chrome was
Flaking.

I notice a piece of the wheel has a part missing near the rim and it looks like what I thought was a chrome wheel may be a chrome
Cover ?

Anyone have covers ?? The spec sheet said silver painted 20” “”

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,988 Posts
Cadillac really cheaped out on those weels

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
Sounds like the same wheels I have. The chrome piece is basically a cheap plastic hub cap that is glued on. Now if the damned things weren't glued on, we could easily replace them, but nope, glue. Makes no sense to me. So now instead of a 5 min replacement you got to chisel off the damaged cover, clean the rim, and replace the chrome piece, using the proper type of adhesive. At least the replacement covers are available and fairly reasonable. I figure on doing this myself pretty soon. I'll tell you something else about those rims. Tire change machines rest on that plastic and after buying new rubber mine look worse than they did before. If you intend to buy new tires, make sure you do that before repairing the rims.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
820 Posts
GM used these all over the place as a cost reduction measure, probably started in the 2000s. They used to be called Chrome-Tech (my Pontiac had them). Now they simply call them chrome clad or something like that.

I think for 2014+ they moved to a polished option and a real chrome option. I have the chromed V-spoke style on my 2014.

Max

·
Registered
2010 Performance, 2015 SRX Luxury?
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the same wheels I have. The chrome piece is basically a cheap plastic hub cap that is glued on. Now if the damned things weren't glued on, we could easily replace them, but nope, glue. Makes no sense to me. So now instead of a 5 min replacement you got to chisel off the damaged cover, clean the rim, and replace the chrome piece, using the proper type of adhesive. At least the replacement covers are available and fairly reasonable. I figure on doing this myself pretty soon. I'll tell you something else about those rims. Tire change machines rest on that plastic and after buying new rubber mine look worse than they did before. If you intend to buy new tires, make sure you do that before repairing the rims.
That may be what happened since there are new Michelin’s on the ground lol around. All thats left are the covers and tighten the muffler , she hums a bit louder in the middle than I would like it too.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
274 Posts
That may be what happened since there are new Michelin’s on the ground lol around. All thats left are the covers and tighten the muffler , she hums a bit louder in the middle than I would like it too.
Yep, you're probably right. I suspect that most of the damage to mine which I though was curb rash, actually happened when the tires were changed or repaired. At one point that crappy chrome stuff started piling up in the guide bar on top of the machine and the installer had to stop and clean it out. I don't know if some machines work differently, but this ended up being kind of ugly. Anybody know if there are machines that don't have a "guide" on top that pushes down on the rim?

BTW the pics you posted of you rims look quite a bit like ours. I don't mind the cheapness of these things, but they should be removable for tire changes since they seem so fragile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts