Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Esv Platinum
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can just the chrome be replaced or will it take a whole new handle? I just had the chrome piece on the front break a tab while opening the door. Service guy says needs a whole new handle and paint matching which I’d rather not do because it won’t ever match properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
More than likely they will replace the whole thing. Never had this happen personally, but my parents had something similar on Chrysler minivan a few years ago. The dealer ordered an entirely new handle, sent it to an outside body shop to be painted, and then installed it.

·
Registered
16 Esv Platinum
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the same solution they recommend. I see that theres a screw on the end of the handle when pulled out so i imagine that the chrome trim piece comes apart so the handle below can be painted and then reassembled, hoping that it comes apart and can use the factory painted piece, my eye seems to catch everything. A curse and blessing all in one.

·
Registered
16 Esv Platinum
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok took matters into my own hands after we got the baby to bed and had some free time. The chrome trim piece comes out with a single t9 screw that you access by holding the handle open to get to. The trim then slides towards the rear of the car and can be removed. To reinstall you need to pull the illumination assembly away from the handle and insert into the chrome trim then push toward the door and slide the joined units forward as one. Two of my tabs are broken so my guess is poor assembly or something replaced and not reinstalled correctly. Im sure it’s sold as a whole assembly but I won’t let anyone take the interior door panel off, remove a factory painted piece to install a body shop painted handle and reinstall it all unless I absolutely need to. Call me crazy but unless all the panel fasteners are replaced as well i don't like taking trim panels apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,768 Posts
You might be able to get the chrome piece separately. But if the only way to get the chrome piece is to buy the whole handle then I'd skip on having the handle painted. Just swap over the chrome piece and throw away the unpainted, unused handle.

·
Registered
16 Esv Platinum
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might be able to get the chrome piece separately. But if the only way to get the chrome piece is to buy the whole handle then I'd skip on having the handle painted. Just swap over the chrome piece and throw away the unpainted, unused handle.
that was my beef with the dealer, they wanted to replace the entire handle and i know a few years from now it will probably stick out since it wasn't factory paint and clear aging together with the rest of the car.. They ended up just replacing the trim and insisted on doing it themselves when i suggested i could just grab the part. Understandable, however when im the one who figured out it didn't need a whole new handle as well my trust level went wayyyyy down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts