Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 shopping days left boys and girls! Here's a picture for the season!

Reactions: illumina

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boombotz said:
I'm done shopping!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I start in July.
:nyanya:

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm just glad you're not a bitter guy Mike! :duck:

:p

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know what you mean. You can't pick the family you are born into. Mine was highly sarcastic at family get togethers. After my grandparents passed we switched to spending holidays with more imediate family closer to home.

Now I cherish times with my last remaining grandmother, I love to hear her tell about her youth and family history. She and her family (my mother and aunts) were in base housing in Hickam Field when the Japaneze attacked. That was jsut one small episode of her very interesting life.

We eat and visit. It's great. During Christmas we give modest gifts to each other. The best gift is time together.

So Mike, the trick for you now is to not only find someone that you love and loves you but also has a family that you enjoy being around. No pressure there bud!:cool2:

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sandy, sorry buddy. Truth be known, I really only started this thread so that I would have something to post my chopped McCombie Clause picture. :p

Reactions: youbetcha77

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So then, when did it change for you Sandy, I mean when did the excitement change from anticipating what you would get to seeing the reaction of the kiddies opening the gifts you got them?

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When I was a kid all I thought about was what I might get as a gift. That changed when I got married and had kids of my own, I was more excited to see the reaction of the kids open thier gifts than what I might get.

I'm assuming that most people feel similar. :duck:

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It's always fun to save the best for last, give the kid the idea that the special gift they asked for just wasn't gonna make it that year then pull it out last and see thier reaction.

Kinda like the movie "A Christmas Story" where Darren McGavin points out that last gift behind the desk, the BB gun that his kid shoots his eye out with..

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I remember my 5th Christmas, we went to Grandmas’ and all the cousins were there plus a few extra foster kids that we brought. The living room was knee high in presents to me, it was great! That year the James Bond 007 radio spy gun was popular. The one that looked like a portable radio, push a button and a gun barrel, pistol grip etc. pops out.

My folks had little money and couldn’t afford it (plus it was plastic and probably would have been broken before New Years) so they bought me a great wooden rifle that shot little plastic bullets (spring loaded).

Well, I opened the rifle and was obviously disappointed (even though it was a much better toy) and when I saw my 4 year old cousin open up his 007 radio gun all I could think of was “HE’S GOT MY GUN! WHAHHH!!!”

What an ungrateful little brat I was!

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yeah, that's pretty much it. One of the many old stereotypes.

All in good fun here. :)

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sandy said:
Kev said:
" Heh, Gentile, they don't get it. Heh heh! "
~ That's an odd word for you to chose to use .... No ?
I didn't think so. Like Adam I am part Jew. My paternal grandmother was a JAP though she'd never admit it. She grew up in a non-religious home in New York where prejudice pushed her to deny her ethnic heritage. When my wife made the comment “I think it’s cool that you are Jewish.” In the context of her being part of the chosen race her response was “Oh, I’m not Jewish, I’m a Baptist.” (lol)

So, because my heritatge is through my Father and not my Mother I wouldn't be considered Jewish by Israel for immigration pruposes but I would have been considered for extermination by the Nazis. Thank God I was born an American after that horrible time.

I suppose I would be considered akin to the Samaritans in biblical Judea 2,000 years ago. Racial prejudice has been around since the Tower of Babel. Too bad.

Reactions: mccombie_5

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Sandy said:
IF that is YOUR picture, Kev.... the map of Israel is on your mug. Case Closed:) Happy New Year !

Next.....
I'm very proud of that nose, thank you very much. :) :rolleyes:

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Sandy said:
I was thinking more along the lines of the hair, 'ya know, dark & curly.
But, the nose knows
Oh..... well....... ah.......... it's not as dark as it used to be, I have to cheat now and it's straight. But my nose and eyes are from my grandmother's side. She looked very much like Elizabeth Taylor when she was young and even in her twilight years.

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
93fleetwoodlowlow said:
who is Elizabeth Taylor?

you guys know what is kind of ironic, we were talking about Jews in a Christmas thread... it just now hit me for some odd reason. thats kinda funny.
Why is that ironic? Wasn't Christ a Jew? Seems all too appropriate to me. I dunno.......

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I would love to have met your mother Sandy. She sounds like a very brave and determined woman. My Grandmother was fortunate to be born in NYC, she was also very strong and determined (though her life was not threatened as was your mother's). She had to be during the time she grew up. She was raised in the Great Depression, raised her family during WWII, was very frugal and wise with the money she (and my Grandfather) made. She was not well educated but that didn't stop her from buying, running and selling various businesses. She ended up with three specialty dress shops in the SF Bay area.

I learned a lot from my Grandparents. My heritage from them is rich. I miss them now. I would love the opportunity to talk to them about their business experience and ask their advise for my own. When things are difficult for me I think back on the stories that Grandma told me, how she made it through WWII while my Grandfather was in the Navy. Very inspirational.

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I will go to them, but they will not return to me.

Reactions: addison_ii

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
addison_ii said:
Wow, you too have some very good stories about parents/grandparents. I haven't heard many stories about my grandparents. My grandfather had his own business from what I heard. But that's all I really now. Sometimes I feel, kind of disconnected from my family because we don't have a close family. I think that's why my friendships are so meaningful to me.
Are your Grandparents still around Addy? If so, I encourage you to see them as often as you can. Talk to your family members about your heritage. Take advantige of the time you have with loved ones while you can because when they are no longer here the opportunities are lost and many special stories and memories are often lost with them. I have a number of relatives that have had exceptional experiences in their lives. A couple of Uncles even made it into a book from the Pacific North West.

· Registered
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
There are Messianic references and prophecies in the Torah if you know where to look.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.