Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently own 1989 Deville that i LOVE (only 77,000 miles and in good condition) that I also use as my daily driver

and looking to get newer used car to add to my Cadillac collection.

I did fair amount of research and narrowed down my search between post 06 DTS and post 05 STS V8.

I really like the sportier look on STS and RWD.
however, I am attracted to DTS as much as I am attracted to STS due to its flagship appeal.

it will be hard for me to pick between these two....

anyways what is the common problem that I can expect to deal with on post 06 DTS?????

and what helped you pick DTS over sts IF you were choosing between sts and dts????

·
Registered
2006 DTS
42 Posts
Hi,
A few observations from a long-term Seville SLS driver (4 consecutive SLSs). I always chose the SLS over the STS because of a controlled ride vs a harsh ride. The tuning on the SLS engine was more to my liking (more low-end torque, slightly better economy) and slightly lower insurance premiums. All those were personal choices on my part. I now drive an '06 DTS. Why? The SLS is no longer produced, front-wheel drive is preferable where I live because of the ice/snow that we occasionally get, and the increased room for luggage and people that the DTS offers. I also prefer the spaciousness of the DTS cabin over the STS (the STS feels cramped to me, even compared to the '03 Seville that I owned). The real kicker: the 07 DTS won the J.D. Powers award for most reliable large luxury car after 3 years of ownership (yep, beat the Lexus). I'm not aware of any similar reliability awards that the STS might have won. So, to summarize:
Front wheel drive, luxurious ride, reliability, quality materials. Hope this helps. Ken.

·
Registered
1968 Eldorado
785 Posts
I've driven all three, the CTS, DTS and STS. I really didn't care for the dashboard styling of the STS. Which is important as that is what you stare at more than anything. The 2nd generation CTS is a real head turner. But I wish it was six inches bigger in every direction. The DTS has the room inside, a very nice dashboard, ultra comfortable, fast V8 and still turns heads when I arrive. It's the best of everything Cadillac offers. And as Ken pointed out has been a fairly trouble free carline.
Check out a lot of DTSs if you decide to go this route. From 2006-2011 there are alot of different colours to choose from. As many as 5 interior color choices. I recommend the bucket seat version instead of the bench. Different years and models have different wood trim. From light wood to dark, very dark and even the base model has a nice fake burled wood trim. It make take a while to find the right color/interior combo you like. But its great that we still have theses choices. Don't let the conservative styling fool you. The DTS loves to be pushed fast. Most people move out of my way on the highway when they see my black DTS looming up on them. It has a commanding presence.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Well, as a car guy that has owned over 50 cars, I like to keep things set up to represent different methodologies.
I have had mixes like an 89 Ford Mustang Convertible/1990 Tarus SHO.

!997 Chrysler T&C/1978 Datsun 280Z 2+2/1976 Dodge Ram 1 ton truck.

1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe/ 1993 Jaguar XJ8
And just recently..
2003 Nissan Murano/1998 BMW Z3.

Now the garage has a 2008 Cadillac DTS/2010 Mercedes Benz GLK

You have a Devlle. I don't think you need another one by any other name........
I would go with the STS just so I had a more representative garage.

·
Registered
2006 DTS II Ice Blue
21 Posts
It's all a matter of taste however, I feel the DTS is the "big dog" of the Caddy family. I also prefer the 40/20/40 split bench because of the arm rest (storage and twin cup holders) comfort of my driving position. They are all great cars however, I do like the front wheel drive of th DTS for winter driving. I plan on keeping my car for many years to come. Good Luck, whichever one you go for, you will be happy:D diggerdog

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies!

I agree how DTS has commanding presence. Especially the black one.

I am going to get black Cadillac, whether i pick dts or sts.
( i have custom sparkling midnight blue on my deville but really love the black Cadillacs)

and I live in California so I don't have to worry about snow. so i guess it does not limit my decision as much.

and I also agree that since I own deville, adding sts to my collection would be nice.

it is really HARD decision since i love both dts and sts haha

I will probably think over and research few more weeks before i decide.

·
Registered
2009 DTS Premium Platinum
318 Posts
Hi 822,
I dig those late 80's Devilles. One of these days, I may get a CDV or Fleetwood Coupe...Anyway, if you're looking for a sporty looking Caddy, why not check out an XLR? The prices have really come down on these and you may be surprised at how little you can get an 04-06 XLR for. I agree that the STS looks great on the outside, but the interior and the ride just isn't my cup of tea.

Good hunting,
Kenwood

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
After reading the CTS, STS, and DTS forums for the past couple of years since getting my DTS, I think it's fairly safe to assume if you get a STS you will be on a first name basis with your service manager, probably get invited to his son/daugher's wedding, and have his first grandchild named after you. My service guy just sort of recognizes my face (oil change once a year, and one warranty issue--front door lock out of rig), though with the window washer recall he'll get to see me twice this year!!

Like the posts above, the DTS won me over (I really intended on buying a CTS) because it was the most "Cadillac" of the three: Comfort, power, and with the Magnetic Ride Control superior combination of ride and handling.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally DECIDED which one I would get...

I am going to get DTS.
and I AM FIRM about the decision!:)

from the forum it does look like STS/CTS have way more problems than DTS (even though I was not really shopping for CTS, i was actually thinking about getting my mom either CTS or low mileage mint last generation El dorado in near future. I do think my mom would like last generation El dorado more than CTS)

and about XLR........
it is really nice looking car that I really do want to get in the future but my budget allows me to only get one newer car right now so i will go with DTS because it is more practical for me but I really want mint allante or XLR eventually
Anyways,
I really like how sts drive but I do not want to make more trip to dealership haha
i think most people at my cadillac dealership know me already... (st claire cadillac in northern california)

I really like conservative and commanding presence that is with DTS and I feel like if I am going to get newer caddy, why not go for the flagship??????

but now...
I am stuck with which trim to get.....
I am shopping for either lux iii or performance.
, but it is really hard to find the trim and right color (BLACK)a nd I feel like i cannot buy dts over internet without looking at the car myself...

oh ya do the performance trim come with the real wood ?????

I really do not want to spend more than $25,000 and it is hard to find right DTS (right color/trim/mileage) for me.
but i guess i just have to be more patient.

but thanks alot for helping me choose between these two magnificent vehicles

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yep, the Performance has the real wood as does the Lux III (or the Lux II in 2007). The performance will give you a firmer, sportier ride and 18" wheels, the Lux III is softer, more traditional Caddy ride. The Performance will have a painted grille to match the body, Lux III will be chrome. If you get the radar cruise, you'll get a silver grille no matter what model you get. The Performance will get you a center console with the gear shifter in between the seats, the Lux III could be the same or have a split bench. The bench is harder to find. Superjim will come along any time now and answer in favor of the Performance model. He loves his. Just be aware that it will ride a lot differently than your Sedan DeVille.

Have fun!
Kenwood

·
Registered
2006 DTS
42 Posts
A couple of minor corrections to the previous post. I have an 06 DTS LUX III. It has the body color painted grill along with the Adaptive Cruise Control (radar). Maybe they changed in 07, but no chrome on my grill. I even made the dealer paint my front license plate holder to match the body. I don't know whether the interior trim is wood or plastic. Looks good.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ken615: Good to know! I think it may have changed since 2006 and this is another cost cutting things that Caddy did. I guess I'm going shopping for a color matched grille for mine.

Cheers
Kenwood

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
In 2008, the color matched grill must have been an option on the Performance model...or someone made a mistake on mine....

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
As far as I know... the color matched grill has always been an option on the Performance Model.

My first 2006 had it...this one don't.
I wish it did.
I like the color matched grills... :)

Jim

·
Registered
1968 Eldorado
785 Posts
There were several DTSs at my local dealer with the color matched grille that were not the Performance edition. They must be using it in one of the new Lux or Prem models.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
922 Posts
Body color grille has been optional across the range since the 2000 redesign.

ACC isn't available with the chrome grille.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I finally DECIDED which one I would get...

I am going to get DTS.
and I AM FIRM about the decision!:)

I really like conservative and commanding presence that is with DTS and I feel like if I am going to get newer caddy, why not go for the flagship??????

but now...
I am stuck with which trim to get.....
I am shopping for either lux iii or performance.
, but it is really hard to find the trim and right color (BLACK)a nd I feel like i cannot buy dts over internet without looking at the car myself...

oh ya do the performance trim come with the real wood ?????

I really do not want to spend more than $25,000 and it is hard to find right DTS (right color/trim/mileage) for me.
but i guess i just have to be more patient.

but thanks alot for helping me choose between these two magnificent vehicles

Like Kenwood said...HERE I AM... :cool2: :cool2:

I do really like my Performance Sedan and always have... since the first day I drove it.
I have driven some LUX models when mine was in for service.
They are OK, but I prefer the feelong of the MAG ride and the more spirited attitude of the Performance sedan.
Of course, everyone drives different, but if it is AT ALL POSSIBLE... drive a LUX model and a Performance model back to back... at the same dealer on the same day.

Preferably, by driving one and then getting in the other one and driving it.

We tend to forget things and minimize flaws and faults over time.
If you drive 'em both ... back to back... you will get a MUCH BETTER FEEL of the difference in them

Some people don't like the firmer ride of the Performance model... some people do like it.

The only complaint I have ever really had with mine, was road noise from the tires.
That problem is now solved... see my thread on the Yokohama tires. :cloud9:

I love my Cadillac... :histeric:

Texas Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys

thanks for the replies!

I was actually thinking about color matched grill but I kind of like the chrome grill!!!!

and I have test drove both performance and lux; however, since I did not test drive in same day (in fact it could have been more than a year between these two trims)

I will try to test drive both performance and lux in same day and try to get better idea how they drive.

i recently saw like ten DTS while i was driving my cadillac,
and I just want them now!!!!!
it is really hard sometimes to research more and wait for right dts to be available near my area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts