Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I've read through several threads on front suspension issues but cannot find anything that helps me. My wife drives an '07 ESV with 120k miles (2nd owner, bought in 2008 with 25k miles). In Oct 2013 (14k miles ago), I had a reputable independent replace the front struts with OEM, upper control arms (since my ball joints were toast), tires, motor mounts, and driver side wheel bearing. I've only recently started driving it regularly as we got a new car and I've inherited this one.

I can't say exactly when it started, but I have a chirping noise that sounds like metal slipping on metal when I go over a rough road or rail road tracks. It seems to come from both wheels. I can only hear it with the windows down and, with the weather in south, I've been riding with the windows down a lot lately and it's driving me mad. I believe that the handling has also gotten rougher. When I go over said rail road tracks, the steering wheel shakes. Also, when I go over a lip on a highway at speed (like a 2 inch drop from a bridge back to the main road), the shocks seem to be unable to extend, almost like they're topped out, resulting in a harsh recovery. Maybe I'm just used to the ride of a car vs. a truck but I just wanted to share all possible related issues.

I've read that the previous generation Escalade had this problem and that the chirping can be caused by worn spring insulators. While looking at my bill from the service in 10/13, I was not charged for insulators. I would think these would be replaced as a matter of course; am I wrong in that assumption? Also, looking at a suspension diagram, it shows upper and lower insulators. When I look in the wheel well, I do not see the lower insulators; It appears that the springs are sitting directly on the struts. Could they be tucked under the lowest coil and not easily visible? The upper insulators look to be in good shape, from what I can see of them.

Before I go back to my independent to ask about whether he forgot to put on lower insulators, can anyone confirm that our trucks do indeed have them? Also, for anyone who has had the chirping suspension, any thoughts? I read on an Avalanche thread that he had a crack in the front cross member that was causing chirping. I may look into that as well.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
196 Posts
I had a chirping sound from the front end which turned out to be the strut mount rubber bushings. I could reproduce it by bouncing the suspension.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a chirping sound from the front end which turned out to be the strut mount rubber bushings. I could reproduce it by bouncing the suspension.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that and see if I can replicate by bouncing it. Do you recall how many miles you had on your struts when they went out? My struts and ball joints were replaced 14k miles ago, although I have already replaced one of the ball joints (under warranty) a couple months ago. My mechanic told me that my 22" Vogue Rampage wheels are heavy and wreak havoc on the front linkage. I would be rid of them if it was up to me; Now that I'm driving this thing on the regulars I feel like the dork in the "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" song by Offspring.

·
Registered
Cadillac
233 Posts
Also check the sway bar links, they often fail or break. The link kit from GM is about $25. They are about 5-6 inches tall and go from the end of the front sway bar to a mount point. I found one of mine broken recently and it made a similar noise if either wheel went over a bump.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading more threads from various googling, I'm beginning to wonder if it could be my LCA's or lower ball joint. I'm going to crawl under it tonight and see if I can see any cracked bushings.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
196 Posts
Both my struts were replaced under warranty at about 45k. One was squeaking and the other dumping oil.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick Update:
New Ball Joints, Lower and upper, new swar bar bushings and sway bar end links. The truck still chirps/squeaks over every small bump. The suspension travel feels nice and smooth in a dip in the road but it can not handle chatter. I've read about the body mount insulators but I don't hear any pop like what is described in the TSB. I will try tightening the A pillar body mount bolts but it sounds like it's coming from the suspension area. I inspected all the joints at the upper and lower control arms and it doesn't look like anything is rubbing, all the bushings look good.

I am starting to lose my mind over the sound. I'm going to try to remove the cross member and check out those bolts.

·
Registered
Escalade. 2011 GT 500 Supersnake. 709 rwhp/733 tq
88 Posts
Hey bud. I had a 09 that made the same noise. It drove me nuts. It was the jounce bumpers. I had them
Replaced at the dealer and it went away. My 13 platnium also does it with only 22k miles. I'll be taking it
To the dealer soon.

Stand on your running board and move truck side to side, if it makes the noise, that's what it is.

QUOTE=morlysafer;14330114]Quick Update:
New Ball Joints, Lower and upper, new swar bar bushings and sway bar end links. The truck still chirps/squeaks over every small bump. The suspension travel feels nice and smooth in a dip in the road but it can not handle chatter. I've read about the body mount insulators but I don't hear any pop like what is described in the TSB. I will try tightening the A pillar body mount bolts but it sounds like it's coming from the suspension area. I inspected all the joints at the upper and lower control arms and it doesn't look like anything is rubbing, all the bushings look good.

I am starting to lose my mind over the sound. I'm going to try to remove the cross member and check out those bolts.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I'm curious how replacing those "jounce bumpers" reduced any noise? They are formerly known as bump stops and are large rubber knobs used in case you bottom out your suspension. Unless you consistently bottom out, you'd have no issues with those. Those should last a lifetime.

·
Registered
Escalade. 2011 GT 500 Supersnake. 709 rwhp/733 tq
88 Posts
They do and will make noise. There is a tsp on them. They are made to long at tje factory and the tsp
calls for them to be removed, trimmed and reinstalled.

QUOTE=K9Caddy;14331466]I'm curious how replacing those "jounce bumpers" reduced any noise? They are formerly known as bump stops and are large rubber knobs used in case you bottom out your suspension. Unless you consistently bottom out, you'd have no issues with those. Those should last a lifetime.[/QUOTE]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They do and will make noise. There is a tsp on them. They are made to long at tje factory and the tsp

QUOTE=K9Caddy;14331466]I'm curious how replacing those "jounce bumpers" reduced any noise? They are formerly known as bump stops and are large rubber knobs used in case you bottom out your suspension. Unless you consistently bottom out, you'd have no issues with those. Those should last a lifetime.
[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=K9Caddy;14331466]I'm curious how replacing those "jounce bumpers" reduced any noise? They are formerly known as bump stops and are large rubber knobs used in case you bottom out your suspension. Unless you consistently bottom out, you'd have no issues with those. Those should last a lifetime.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I did find a reference to the TSB on justanswers.
http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/6bbjm-noise-coming-left-front-car-sounds-windshield.html

I'm going to head out to my truck and try standing on the RB and bouncing. It should be entertaining for my coworkers.

I had the struts replaced not long ago, it's a shame this wasn't taken care of. I can pull the strut assembly out pretty easily, but would rather not have to take apart the assembly to get to the internal jounce bumper. I'm sure the mechanic would love to charge me $400 in labor to do it but I can't hardly justify it if it's only a cosmetic problem and not indicative of something that's about to fall apart.

----------

[/QUOTE]

ok. so I just ran out and stood on the running boards while swinging on the roof rails like a maniac. I could reproduce the noise and got a video of it. Is this what yours sounded like? the sound starts at 0:10. I can also hear a groan/creak in the video that I can't hear otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jz48NRmsA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts