Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
Thanks
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
Sean McDonald said:
I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
Thanks
Sean
By the sounds of the top speed you have some kind of chip. the top speed is 115 not 145 like you said so CHIP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's great!! That much less I have to do to get a little more kick out of it! Mind you it already works amazing! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
Sean McDonald said:
Wow, that's great!! That much less I have to do to get a little more kick out of it! Mind you it already works amazing! :)
Now that you have the chip what is next in line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
What kind of chip do you have?...I'm looking to get a little more outta my '00 STS and want to know which chips make a difference and which are a waste of time & $$?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
I have a 99 STS and my understanding was that the cars with 16" wheels had a rev limiter that would limit top speed to 130MPH but if you bought the 17" tire option the speed was limited to 155MPH. Not sure how or if that applies to the earlier cars. Good luck.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Rick99STS said:
I have a 99 STS and my understanding was that the cars with 16" wheels had a rev limiter that would limit top speed to 130MPH but if you bought the 17" tire option the speed was limited to 155MPH. Not sure how or if that applies to the earlier cars. Good luck.

Rick

PS. Just came from the SEMA show and couldn't find anyone making a chip for the late model STS.
 

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
Joined
·
303 Posts
From what I recall, if the STS or ETC came with Z-rated tires from the factory, the top speed was 150mph. This was since 1993.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I've got a 96 STS and I know that my limiter is set at 130, as my car will not stop until it reaches 130, gets there pretty quickly when it's in good tune. Are there any chips available for the 96's? I'm wanting to remove the speed limiter, and I figure a chip would be the best thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
i think this should be a STICKY, domestic performance has a hookup for custom made chips, i don't think anyone has tried it yet.
 

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
Joined
·
141 Posts
Dubya said:
i think this should be a STICKY, domestic performance has a hookup for custom made chips, i don't think anyone has tried it yet.
I think we have covered this before recently. The STSs with H rated tires (look inside at drivers door sticker) are speed limited to 130 mph. The ones with the Z rated tires are not speed limited and should run at least 150 mph. The SLS is speed limited to 112 mph.
 

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
Joined
·
141 Posts
Sean McDonald said:
I'm wondering if my STS has a chip and I'm looking for some thoughts / opinions. I can easily spin shifting to second, however I think this may be possible in all STS's. I can hang with my friends modded MR2 that runs low 14's actually I can pass him pretty quick by the end of the 1/4. Also, it is my understanding that the car is limited to 115mph. Is this true? Cause I had it up to 145mph before I ran out of road and it was still pulling pretty hard. I would really appreciate some input on this.
Thanks
Sean
MY 96 STS has good sticky tires and it does get rubber shifting into second at around 45 or 50 mph. It is very likely all stock.

Jon
96STS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Andrew60SP said:
From what I recall, if the STS or ETC came with Z-rated tires from the factory, the top speed was 150mph. This was since 1993.
Can you re-learn the chip the exisiting chip, or swap out the existing chip for the Z-rated tire chip without any problems?
 

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
Joined
·
303 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top