Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've got my new 18" STS wheels on and they are uber sexy. The Michelin Run Flats I have on there right now maybe have another 5,000 of life in them. I need to change them ASAP. I have been seeing a lot of good tire deals recently on the interwebs, but I want to make sure I don't get a Chinese made tire. What tire manufacturers have you run into that have been stamped Made in China?

I know the obvious answer...buy a Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, etc...I'm still on a budget and I would like stick to Japan, North America, Europe, or Korea.

By the way I just got her washed up last night I'm going to update my other STS Wheels thread with some pics this afternoon. She's actually turning some heads with all of that gleaming STS premium chrome.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
pics or it didnt happen

and i normally use this site for my tires www.tireseasy.com they seem to have the best prices on all brand tires

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
haha...i like it man, they definitely look good on there

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
+1, those are nice looking wheels

If it helps, I was very happy with the Eagle LS on my CTS. And on my Camaro LT, Goodrich Traction TA were quiet, low rolling resistance, grippy, and cheap.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I need your help!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on some tires and I need some opinions on tire size. The tires I have on right now are staggered 235 50 18 in the front and 255 45 18 in the rear. There is no rubbing issue that was addressed in older threads, but the front wheels are DAMN close to rubbing the steering knuckle. I'm talking like 2mm with cold tires. If I go with 225s that will buy me almost a quarter inch of clearance.

Now here is the decision: 235 50 18 is 27.25 inches tall I like how it fills up the wheel well. With that in mind, here are my choices

225 50 18.
Pros:
It is the closest option at 26.86 inches tall.
Cons:
The selection sucks.

225 45 18
Pros: Awesome selection
Cons:
The tire size is only 25.97 inches tall. so I lose 1.25 inches from what I have on there right now.
Possibly a more noisy ride?

Anyone think I will notice that mssing inch and a quarter if I go with the 225 45?

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
if you get a good tire that has low road noise, then i dont think you will miss that space

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Agreed. I went from 55s to 50s and didn't notice any ride difference.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
The tires you have now are over 27" diameter. no wonder you are rubbing.
I would go 235/45-18. It's only 1/2" larger than stock (or 1/2" smaller if your's came with 18), and less than 3% difference on the speedo. And it's a very common size.

I would not stagger on any CTS. The V guys do it (then complain about the ride). Most cars that are staggered from the factory are designed for it, with different track widths front to back. i don't think that is true of the CTS.

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tires you have now are over 27" diameter. no wonder you are rubbing.
I would go 235/45-18. It's only 1/2" larger than stock (or 1/2" smaller if your's came with 18), and less than 3% difference on the speedo. And it's a very common size.
Just to clarify... I am NOT rubbing but really close to it. I have about 2 or 3mm between the inside of the tire and the steering knuckle with the current 235 50 setup. I am going with a 225 tire to get an extra 5mm of clearance. If I go with the 225 50 I have an extra 10mm clearance on the top edge. If I go with the 225 45 I get 30mm extra clearance. So anyway I go I get more clearance. Bonus!

I would not stagger on any CTS. The V guys do it (then complain about the ride). Most cars that are staggered from the factory are designed for it, with different track widths front to back. i don't think that is true of the CTS.
MoDef...I am not going to stagger. I am going uniform all the way around. It is looking like I'm going with the Falken 912. I can get them for 125 each locally.

i like those wheels where did you get them from
I lucked out here. I found them on Craigslist being sold by an STS owner. He has taken great care of them. He was selling because he is doing black powder coat and gun metal detaling (grilles, wheels, trim) with his infrared paint job. It looks sick. Makes me wish I had bought an STS.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,487 Posts
DO NOT buy Falken 912's....JUNK! I had them on my Seville STS, worst tire I've ever bought. Hydroplaned all over the place, horrible in snow, wore out quickly, STAY AWAY. I bought a set of Cooper CS4 Tourings and could not be happier, have the same tires on my CTS too :)

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DO NOT buy Falken 912's....JUNK! I had them on my Seville STS, worst tire I've ever bought. Hydroplaned all over the place, horrible in snow, wore out quickly, STAY AWAY. I bought a set of Cooper CS4 Tourings and could not be happier, have the same tires on my CTS too :)
damn...I don't know what the deal is with these tires. I found some reviews where people loved them. And then a few where the common theme was early wear and poor wet traction. Good tip though, I will look for some other options.

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
I'm most likely going to pick up a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&partnum=25YR8PSSXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2007&autoModel=CTS 3.6L&autoModClar=Wheel Performance Package (Hope the link works, I have my car saved)

It's an incredible price for a tire that (according to reviews, anyway) performs so well. 225/50/R18 shows $650 for a set. Other sizes are far more expensive, I'm not sure why. I'll call to confirm the price once I finish moving.

I had a set of the tires that these are replacing, Michelin Pilot PS2s on my last car and can't complain. They hooked up almost as well as slicks and kept traction in corners that should be impossible. I still have my Hankook winters on this car (it tried to snow last week) and they're going to get me killed when the weather improves. If that price is correct there won't be much shopping around for my car.

I'm certain that there's a lot of options, but you can probably tell that I've only really shopped for summer performance tires. You're likely to pay a bit less for all-seasons.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
i was very happy with my hankook Ventus K104 and my girls on the Hankook Ventus V12 tires, now im running Falcon FK452 and they are amazing and a fair price.
also liked my general UHP, but they made a little noise, not much.

stay away from triangle, nankang, runway and wanli..they are cheap, but not much cheaper, and you only get 1 "safe" season out ogf them...my friend has nankangs and they have less than 1 season on them and you can see cracking between the treads...i told him not to get them...

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
255 up front just seems too wide...I notice pull on muy 245.
I think my next tire setuo ill be going 235 front 255 rear maybe 265

·
Registered
2007 CTS Thunder Gray
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was very happy with my hankook Ventus K104 and my girls on the Hankook Ventus V12 tires, now im running Falcon FK452 and they are amazing and a fair price.
also liked my general UHP, but they made a little noise, not much.

stay away from triangle, nankang, runway and wanli..they are cheap, but not much cheaper, and you only get 1 "safe" season out ogf them...my friend has nankangs and they have less than 1 season on them and you can see cracking between the treads...i told him not to get them...
Good tips Mike. I was looking at the FK452, but it looks like it is harder to find in the 225 50 18. I also like the looks of those ventus V12s. You obviously get a bit of weather in the GTA. Which is the best in the rain?

Step up to some 255 widths, they look so good!
Agreed, but I have clearance issues on my fronts with my new 18x8 and +51mm offset. If I went 255 in the front I would need spacers and new bolts or different wheels.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Rain, snow,hail, tornados, flying ninjas, we get it all.
best in the rain hard to say, I would tie the hankook k104 and the fk452.
The v12s are good but its not my car and I don't drive it much at all, my girl loves them, her car is awd and we put fusion all seasons on (forget the model but would know it if I heard it) and she hated them..she claimed no traction in rain and complained about how they drove just all around.

The general uhp broke loose on left turns in the rain a lot more than the fk452...the k104 I never pushed because it was in my truck, but I can tell you they are very stabil when hydroplaning (ill add a picture later and you will see what I mean lol) unfortunatelly the k104 is discontinued but the v12 I hear is its replacement.
I would buy the fk452 again...verry happy all around, I even hit freezing rain and slush in them a couple weeks ago ..at first I thought I was going to have problems, suprisingly they handled about as well as a set of good all seasons would..and these are a summer tire ( at least a canadian summer only tire lol)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts