Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard today that the farm that produces 60% of the eggs consumed here in the US has been struck by the bird flu .
That means that all the chickens must be destroyed and the whole facility sterilized; we're talking about nine million chickens .

Think egg prices will go up ?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts
Nine million chickens is about 1/25 of the total here on the Eastern Shore alone. Everyone and their grandmother has a sign on the front fence - "Fresh eggs today". Won't bother us, though - our neighbors keep 15 - 20 different chickens (depending on hawks and owls) so our eggs are free. Fresh brown country eggs beat the snot out of the tasteless white hormone-forced grocery store eggs.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have eight chickens and the eggs are so superior the ones that come from the big farms .
Most supermarket eggs are still considered fresh (USDA standards) up to 3 months after production .

·
Administrator
68,436 Posts
Most supermarket eggs are still considered fresh (USDA standards) up to 3 months after production .
When loading a missile submarine with food for 80+ days we would onload several hundred dozen eggs in cases of 24 dozen each. They went into the lower level missile compartment or torpedo room lower flats (cool temperatures) and they were OK well after return from patrol. BUT, I believe that store-bought eggs are treated to reduce shell porosity to oxygen intrusion.

----------

Eggbeaters here I come
Karen refers to those as "Ain't Eggs".

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
When loading a missile submarine with food for 80+ days we would onload several hundred dozen eggs in cases of 24 dozen each. They went into the lower level missile compartment or torpedo room lower flats (cool temperatures) and they were OK well after return from patrol. BUT, I believe that store-bought eggs are treated to reduce shell porosity to oxygen intrusion.

----------

Karen refers to those as "Ain't Eggs".
When we bought eggs at the store when I was a kid, when we went to use them we had to crack them into a bowl so we could sort out the green ones, the black ones, and the ones the stink drove you out of the house. There were indications that some, called cold storage eggs, were years old. The first time I tasted fresh eggs I thought there was something wrong with them.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
There is a big difference in the way eggs are handled in different markets. It seems to me that in Europe they are not refridgerated at all.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
From what I have heard and read, the U.S. is t only place that eggs are refrigerated. The rest of the world quite successfully, on eggs being able to be stored at room temperature.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
In other food recall news, 3 people have died from listeria in Blue Bell Ice Cream. First the recall was just certain sizes and batches, yesterday I read EVERY SINGLE LAST OUNCE of Bluebell has been recalled and thrown in your grocer's dumpster. Called my dad up, as he loves the vanilla with chocolate syurp, says "well that's good to know that I would've died 5 times by now considering how much of it I've ate in the last couple of weeks".

·
Administrator
68,436 Posts
Eggs on the local market in Naples, Italy and Rota, Spain were on the open shelving/racks along with lettuce and potatoes, etc. Eggs from the Navy Commissaries were refrigerated - BUT in those countries the wife/mother/grandmother shopped every morning and purchased only what was needed for 24 hours or so - so the turnover was really quick. When I was stationed in Naples for 3 years we shopped for fresh produce on the local markets, canned/frozen from the Commissary. BUT you had to disassemble any local economy green leafy vegetable and soak it for 15 minutes in cold water and several drops of Clorox - the main fertilizer was "night soil" so hepatitis was always a possibility. There was a special hepatitis quarantine ward at the Naval Hospital in Agnano.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,798 Posts
we may have missed a larger question. Did any of those 9 million chickens cross the road?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,261 Posts
I heard today that the farm that produces 60% of the eggs consumed here in the US has been struck by the bird flu .
That means that all the chickens must be destroyed and the whole facility sterilized; we're talking about nine million chickens .

Think egg prices will go up ?
=======================
I heard today that the farm that produces 60% of the eggs consumed here in the US
has been struck by the bird flu .

I heard it was "about 20%" of the eggs -

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Now that I think of it, before I moved to the States, I used to have room-stored eggs. We buy cartons of them from groceries, not refrigerated, leave them near the kitchen, and then cook them when needed. About the only time eggs go in the refrigerator is when they seem to be old and start to change its taste. A carton usually contains 30 eggs, so I thought the US one was fun sized. Never had any trouble from the eggs.

Also that was the first time I tried white eggs. White eggs are not available in my home country, unless it's a duck egg. White eggs clearly tasted different from what I am used to, so I looked up the difference and all the online sources said there is no difference between the two. Had me confused, because something inside me said I do not like the taste of white eggs, and I love eggs. That's when I found out that they also sell brown eggs, since then I only buy brown eggs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts