Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this weekend will be the first time i ever use Chevron Techron in my fuel
i know i have read sevral times that it is the one and only fuel aditive to use in our N's they love it every sevral fill ups with Shell V power from what i remember reading

so i guess im asking this to those who do yous it
do i just add it to a tank of fuel i was in walmart today and i picked up there 10.oz bottle they had and i was reading it says its good for 15 gallons of fuel
i was looking for a bigger one cause i thought i remember reading to use a 16o bottle but all walmart sell sis the 10oz bottles should i not fill the tank up should i only allow 15 gallons in with this
or should i go buy another 10oz bottle and use them both ?
also do i need to use shell v power like i heard some say
or is regular 87 ok or should i at least use a middle grade fuel like 89-91 ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
I'm a stickler for correct dosages. There's an Advance Auto Parts by me in north Jersey that every few months or so sells Techron 2 for 1. They've been doing it for the 2 years or so I've been using it. My guess would be this is a nationwide sale but I don't know. I buy 4-6 bottles at a time. I buy the 20 oz bottle which says it treats up to 20 gallons. Sometimes they make it easy for me and announce the sale with a banner in the window.
BTW, I see 12 oz which treats 12 gallons and 20 oz. When all they had was the 12 oz bottles I would use 2 for 20 gallons.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
put in the the tank before you add some gas
the exact amount of gas doesn't really matter (just don't go super concentrated - although i'm pretty sure that wouldn't harm anything either)
the less gas you mix it with the more concentrated it is (obviously)

the Shell V power gas (and the other top tier brands) supposedly has a little bit of techron in it (so you don't need to use techron if you primarily use shell)
but if you don't normally buy top tier then you should use techron ever other oil change (or there-abouts)

and it's not just northstars ... this info is for all cars

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
Going super concentrated can damage some pumps and injector windings. It can strip the insulation off. Keep it to the correct concentration.

I don't know if one usage would do that but there is no need to run it super strong.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Going super concentrated can damage some pumps and injector windings. It can strip the insulation off. Keep it to the correct concentration.

I don't know if one usage would do that but there is no need to run it super strong.
:yeah:
Abide by the Techron container instructions.

IF there is a compelling reason to pour anything other than tier one pump fuel into the tank. And that's a big "if" based on my experience.

Your car + your money = your choice.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i put poured the bottle in first then i filled up with Shell Regular 87 hopped on the highway for a 400 mile round trip from cleveland to warren mi and back i was preatty darn suprised i could feel and tell the difrance on how it was running witch really suprised me

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Driving the car for 400 miles non-stop at highway speeds can partially clean the engine and remove the buildups.... however that fuel additive helps too...

·
Registered
97sls,09dts
880 Posts
On a 1300 mi trip stated out using shell 26.3mpg. last 2 fill ups used a off brand gas mpg went to 29.1. In town I used shell and on the way back 1 tank of shell the rest off brand, back to 26.4 mpg. In town I noticed that the gas contained 10% ethanol so i started checking and on the way back all the pumps were 10% ethanol. I can only assume that 1 or more of the 2 off brand fill ups on the way out were non-ethanol . Mike

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
That would make the difference Mike.

well i put poured the bottle in first then i filled up with Shell Regular 87 hopped on the highway for a 400 mile round trip from cleveland to warren mi and back i was preatty darn suprised i could feel and tell the difrance on how it was running witch really suprised me
That's called power of suggestion.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,392 Posts
:horse:

For the 12,000th time: TECHRON, Chevron: powerful fuel system cleaner. 20 oz. bottles. Either go down to Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips - and surf the 9 pages for threads on the subject or Google "top tier gasoline" and/or "chevron techron".

TP, you yourself have several posts in those threads asking questions and receiving answers concerning TECHRON and its use. Don't you remember them from last fall ???:banghead:

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
last week i went to Chardon oil filled up with 93 primume E- Free and was getting 33mpg now that i was back down to 87 regular with 10% with the bottle of techron i was getting about 27.8 MPG yesterday on the AVG for the 400 miles
wish it wasnt so darn far from where i am i could go there once a week to fill up and it was only 3.19 a gallon i bought 3 5 gallon cans got my deposit back for the cans at the same time since i just filled up and put the left over 2 gallons in my gas can

i can't wait till boating season is back cause on my way to Detroit i always stop at the Monroe trouts yatch basin and fill up with there 93 E-free but it doesnt get me 33 usuly gets me around 30mpg so not sure why i was getting more with the stuff from chargon oil

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey be carfull your going to give yourself a stroke man
:horse:

For the 12,000th time: TECHRON, Chevron: powerful fuel system cleaner. 20 oz. bottles. Either go down to Discussions, item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips - and surf the 9 pages for threads on the subject or Google "top tier gasoline" and/or "chevron techron".

TP, you yourself have several posts in those threads asking questions and receiving answers concerning TECHRON and its use. Don't you remember them from last fall ???:banghead:
hey golly man you want to lynch me i think lol
never going to let you help me with my trunk watter leak LMAO

i search but i don't always pull up what i wanted in the search for some reason
so i started a new thread
i was just asking a question golly ok so maybe i asked it before but i asked it again

·
Registered
97sls,09dts
880 Posts
sub i searched tech tips - techron and read almost every word and in the specs. it stated a .8 to 10 % amount of denatured ethanol to qualify for a top tier rating. Now if I am right about the mileage gap on my trip would that imply that users of top tier gas see a drop in their mpg.Mike

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
It's amusing when members find repeating answers to be annoying, yet continue to repeat themselves.

If you want the OP to learn to search rather than reposting, reposting the answer the same answer you gave last time isn't going to teach him anything of the sort.

:horse: For the 12,000 time:

:p

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
don't forget that uphill/downhill and wind direction can have an impact on mpg too... driving east usually gives a better mpg since weather usually travels in that direction

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,392 Posts
Chris, we all know that, in the northern hemisphere vehicles get better gas mileage going south (downhill) than they do going north (uphill).

...........and ethanol, in and of itself, when used as an oxygenator in emissions fuels (usually in a concentration of E10) does not qualify a fuel as "top tier". Ethanol is an emissions and pork barrel requirement - there are other fuel detergency requirements in the mix.

mike5514, What car/engine are you running ? Your quoted outbound gas mileage seems 2- 3 mpg high for a FWD Northstar, even a VIN Y. If a motorist were to see a 10% increase (remarkable) in long-term fuel economy caused solely by changing from an E10 fuel to straight gas, then one would assume running such fuels, where available, would be prudent. One would also assume that, if such a radical fuel savings were possible, all automakers would push for such fuels in order to more easily qualify for CAFE standards. Why don't they ?

The OP is and was the originator of questions relating to gasoline quality, octane requirements, TECHRON and top tier fuel discussions in the past. If he has forgotten those discussions or cannot go back in time and find them (as most of us do for reference), then a memory jog is in order. Unfortunately, repetition is sometimes a requirement in the learning curve.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One way that i go back to look is i look at my profile i also look at threads i have responded to and topics i have started
and maybe its just me but when i look
it does not let me go back to the first thread i started or first topic i responded to
it cuts off after several months no more pages no more history well
apparently what i was looking for i could go back and search by clicking on my name then clicking on View Forum Posts
but apparently it does not let me go back and see every single thing it actually cuts of after several pages so excuse me for not being able to take the easy option for my searching and find it

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aperantly this thread here is the furthest i can search back without having to worked my tail off to read every thread and see what was what
yeah i could use the search option wich at times if ind useless cause it doesn't always work for me
but here by clicking on my name then view forum posts if i want to search the way i like to well then here it is
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...rum/223509-how-do-i-identify.html#post2514140

and the farthest back i can search is beginning of this month lol so chew on this for a few
im not trying to be rude so please don't think that but
you think i am lazy and don;'t search at all
well i do i just search a different way then some choose to so this is proof that i do try to find something and i don't always just start a new topic all the time lol

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
pup, your 'way of searching' isn't really searching - you're browsing backwards and it doesn't work (very well) as evidenced by the current situation at hand

see my posts in this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/221849-search-feature.html
i found it by opening a new tab, typing the search plugin shortcut that i chose (the letters cf) then hitting the tab button ... mind you i'm using chrome so it's slightly different for other browsers
then i typed my search 'google search plugin' - that thread was the first result

http://www.google.com/#q=techron+site:cadillacforums.com&fp=1&cad=b
that's the results of a google site search for 'techron'

lots of good threads there...

oh, and google lets you restrict by any timeframe you want if you click on the 'more search tools' link at the bottom of the left column on the google results page

also you can add your username on to a search to try and find threads that you participated in

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chris that may work for you
but for me it does not always cut it
searching is searching researching is researching hunting is hunting going back is going back and forward is forward
if so many ppl want to make souch a deal of of this
what could these ppl be doing better with there time a whole lot i bet

excuse me but we all have what we do and how we do it

not saying yurs is wrong cause its not
but mine is not either

1 - 20 of 32 Posts