Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in buying a first gen SRX, and found an ‘04 that looks (from pictures) to be in great shape. The ad says regular maintenance, new tires and battery, 130K miles. It’s all wheel drive with the Northstar. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for? I know the early 3.6 had timing chain issues, which is why I wanted the V8. I’m going to be checking wheel arches for rust, but from the pictures I can’t see any on the body. Just wondering if there is anything inherently problematic on these to look out for, though I haven’t read about anything yet!

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
731 Posts
Common stuff seems to be random electronics problems, wheel bearings, maybe the transmission.
You've undoubtedly figured out the resale is lousy, negotiate ruthlessly....webuyanycar.com will offer about 2 grand for what you described.

Buy at the right price and if you can fix the problems yourself, ride it for years, if not send it to the pickapart when a major occurs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think his asking price is steep at $5200. It doesn’t have the panoramic moon roof (could be a positive I suppose), has pretty bad rust spots starting over rear wheels, and the “new” tires are mismatched and at least one date code is as old as 2013. If he took shortcuts here, not sure where else he took shortcuts. It also didn’t stay running the first time he cranked it...I’ve never had a healthy vehicle do that, especially since he says he drives it 2-3 times a week.

·
Registered
2009 SRX V6 RWD, 2011 CTS Premium Coupe
124 Posts
Yeah, I think his asking price is steep at $5200. It doesn’t have the panoramic moon roof (could be a positive I suppose), has pretty bad rust spots starting over rear wheels, and the “new” tires are mismatched and at least one date code is as old as 2013. If he took shortcuts here, not sure where else he took shortcuts. It also didn’t stay running the first time he cranked it...I’ve never had a healthy vehicle do that, especially since he says he drives it 2-3 times a week.
Run very, very far away. P.S. Never buy the first year of ANYTHING.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely passing on the first one, will hopefully be going to look at a 2005 with less miles and cheaper. It’s rear wheel drive, but I don’t really think it’ll be an issue; can always drive the Escalade if we get too much snow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely passing on the first one, will hopefully be going to look at a 2005 with less miles and cheaper. It’s rear wheel drive, but I don’t really think it’ll be an issue; can always drive the Escalade if we get too much snow.
Hi JC
Noticed your discussion. Where are you located? I have a 2005 SRX V-8 Northstar with AWD, towing package, 3rd row seat, grey leather, ultraview sunroof, navigation -- 99k mileage -- engine drives like a dream -- when washed, the black finish looks almost like new. The only things wrong: right front turn blinker is out and engine light on (though my mechanic says not a big deal). Maintenanced regularly. Have mostly stored it the past year, as I live in downtown Seattle and don't need it very often. Best, Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi JC
Noticed your discussion. Where are you located? I have a 2005 SRX V-8 Northstar with AWD, towing package, 3rd row seat, grey leather, ultraview sunroof, navigation -- 99k mileage -- engine drives like a dream -- when washed, the black finish looks almost like new. The only things wrong: right front turn blinker is out and engine light on (though my mechanic says not a big deal). Maintenanced regularly. Have mostly stored it the past year, as I live in downtown Seattle and don't need it very often. Best, Steve
I’m located in MN, but have been doing nationwide searches looking for exactly what I want. Black wouldn’t be my first choice in color, but yours is otherwise spec’d great. Could I possibly get pictures and asking price? You can certainly message me if you’d like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m located in MN, but have been doing nationwide searches looking for exactly what I want. Black wouldn’t be my first choice in color, but yours is otherwise spec’d great. Could I possibly get pictures and asking price? You can certainly message me if you’d like.
Hi JC
Just saw your message. As mentioned I have the car in storage near my office an hour away -- but I'll probably be there next week -- so I can take photos inside & out. I have a new car on order, but I don't think I'll ever have an engine like the Northstar V-8 again. KBB puts the value at a little over $6k, but I'm flexible if we can come to a meeting of the minds. Question: how do I send photos to you when I have them?
Best,
Steve

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
216 Posts
Body rust is a fairly easy problem to fix. With the first gen. SRX's frame and component rust is the more bigger problem. There are pictures of underbody rust previously posted and it's not pretty. Was one of the reasons I sold mine purchased new after 12 yrs. with only 75k miles. Being the first production year had no affect on the quality of the car. Never had any major problems and was one of the best cars I've owned. Also longest time I've ever held on to a car but that rust sure did scare me!!! If it wasn't for that I still might own it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts