Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got caught in a torrential rainstorm Friday night my DTS gave me an unwanted shower. Seemed like gallons pour in. I checked the drain lines behind the inner wheel wells, the front drivers side line was clogged. Just bare touched it and water drained out. So it doesn't take much to clog them. Hope this helps prevent the mess that happened to me.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Where all 4 clogged or just that one? I'd suspect all 4 or the other 3 would have drained the water.
I haven't had a sun roof in decades. Something else to keep an eye on.

·
2009 DTS
29 Posts
I've seen this mentioned many times and with winter approaching can anyone elaborate on details? I just assumed the areas that plug were located along the seal somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
There are 4 drain tubes, one at each corner. They usually plug at the bottom of the drain tube. You can rod them out with .080 dia. weed whacker string. I would avoid compressed air. If you should blow the tube off of the nipple it it attached to, you are in the headliner removal business.

Omac, was yours clogged with debris from the gutter going down the tube or mud and such from the road being spit up on the drain area?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,672 Posts
Make very sure the glass attaching screws/bolts - #2 - are securely tightened. Correct sunroof glass alignment is nearly flush with the roofline at the front, flush to about +1mm at the rear. Every couple of months vent/open the sunroof, carefully wipe the seal surface and seal rubber with ArmorAll, then use the tiniest bit of silicone dielectric ignition grease on the roof seal edge. If you can see the grease wiped on the surface it's too much.

If the drain tubes in your particular vehicle have the flapper valves at the lower ends, cut them off. Common clog point.

Tubes (4) are #7 and #10.

The 10s usually run down into the rear of the front fenderwells through the A-pillars; the 7s usually run back and down into the rear fenderwell areas through the sail panels.

drain flapper.jpg
Sunroof exploded.gif
Front sunroof edge adjustment.gif
rear sunroof edge.gif

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
457 Posts
I have this problem intermittently in my 2011 DTS.

It's hard to tell from the sunroof drain diagram, but there's a 90degree elbow where the drain tube passes through the firewall. Because of this, it is not possible to push a weed wacker line through in the front. Somewhere in that elbow, I have enough restriction that I have to clear the driver's drain tube every three months. I've tried to find that elbow inside the car, but its too hidden behind the dashboard.

The only way I can properly clear the drain tube is by using a can of compressed air and shooting air through the line. The can provides enough pressure the clear the drain, but not enough to dislodge a hose.

The rear ones don't have the elbow and are wide enough to run a line to clear them. You can also see the tube behind the trunk lining.

In case the drain tubes get clogged, I put some paper towels in the gap between the sunroof and the headliner. That way if water does overflow, the paper towels can absorb the water before it touches the electronics.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,600 Posts
Every couple of months vent/open the sunroof, carefully wipe the seal surface and seal rubber with ArmorAll, then use the tiniest bit of silicone dielectric ignition grease on the roof seal edge
Sub, would this still apply if the sunroof is never opened...I don`t open mine up. This is the first sunroof I`ve had.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Sub, would this still apply if the sunroof is never opened...I don`t open mine up. This is the first sunroof I`ve had.
Can't hurt, but if you never use it, it's probably not a big deal. I never use mine either and so I'm not too worried about it.

there's a 90degree elbow where the drain tube passes through the firewall. Because of this, it is not possible to push a weed wacker line through in the front. Somewhere in that elbow, I have enough restriction that I have to clear the driver's drain tube every three months.
I wonder if you couldn't tape a small vinyl hose to a garden hose to neck it down, and use that to flush out the drain tube.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Can't hurt, but if you never use it, it's probably not a big deal. I never use mine either and so I'm not too worried about it.
Thanks. Not sure how the drains work..where do they collect the water from when the sunroof is closed.

·
Administrator
70,672 Posts
I wonder if you couldn't tape a small vinyl hose to a garden hose to neck it down, and use that to flush out the drain tube.
I'd be leery of hitting those tubes with either city or well water pressure - just be careful - like blowing them with compressor air - you may blow a hose off the drain pan nipple.

Thanks. Not sure how the drains work..where do they collect the water from when the sunroof is closed.
Look at #9 in Post #5. That's the sunroof frame and drain channels - all 4 sides are a 3/4 X 1 "gutter" directly underneath the sunroof rubber seal edge. The 4 drain tubes attach to the lower edge of each corner of the gutter. Depending on which angle the car is parked on, 1 or 2 tubes will carry off leak water.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'd be leery of hitting those tubes with either city or well water pressure - just be careful - like blowing them with compressor air - you may blow a hose off the drain pan nipple.

Look at #9 in Post #5. That's the sunroof frame and drain channels - all 4 sides are a 3/4 X 1 "gutter".
The thing I don't understand is if the gutters are covered by glass when the sunroof is closed, how does water get to the gutters to be drained? It looks all sealed from top.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Yeah, obviously you would want to regulate the water pressure and not use full pressure. I'd just crack the valve and slowly increase pressure a little until you got a good flow.

where do they collect the water from when the sunroof is closed.
Water seeps in around the seals. It's probably not 100% water tight. I would also guess that the older it gets and the more it is used, the worse it may get, but even then, it should be minimal.

·
Administrator
70,672 Posts
It's the rubber seal (gasket) around the glass panel that leaks.

And that panel gets loose in the frame, so periodic checks and adjustment is necessary. The 4 retainer screws/bolts and the glass height specs.

That's why you need to keep the roof edge and seal surface clean and lubricated. Just like the door and trunk weatherstripping. Even if you never open a door or the trunk the weatherstripping dries out and leaks, so that's an ArmorAll periodic maintenance item, too.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks Sub and Ranger. So once a year opening and lubricating as outlined by Sub even though not used would keep it supple.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited by Moderator)
Where all 4 clogged or just that one? I'd suspect all 4 or the other 3 would have drained the water.
I haven't had a sun roof in decades. Something else to keep an eye on.
The others check ok. After unclogging the front line I ran water over the roof all looked to be draining.

There are 4 drain tubes, one at each corner. They usually plug at the bottom of the drain tube. You can rod them out with .080 dia. weed whacker string. I would avoid compressed air. If you should blow the tube off of the nipple it it attached to, you are in the headliner removal business.

Omac, was yours clogged with debris from the gutter going down the tube or mud and such from the road being spit up on the drain area?
It was very fine sediment that dried. My DTS stays in the garage so no leaves etc get in the sunroof channel. It was clogged at the bottom of the tube behind the wheel well.

I very rarely use my sunroof but water still enters past the seal into a tray which the tubes attach to and drain it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts