Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my car creaking badly from the rear. I crawl under to silicone the rubber shock bushings, etc and I discovered 2 grease nipples for each rear wheel! My dad missed these all the years he had it. What are these because they look like ball joints, but not on the rear wheels?! Are these exclusive with the FWD's? I am wondering why no one mentioned these before, or have creaking and don't know what it is from. I am buying a new grease gun tomorrow and I hope it will be case solved.:excited: :banghead2 :eek:

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
There are many humorous responses to your post, Ralph. Please excuse the third-grader in me. I guess I'm a little TOO in-touch with my inner child.

YOU GOT NIPPLES IN YOUR REAR?!?!?

I had that creaking problem from my rear, too, so my wife bought me some Bean-o.

huh huh, you said "ball joints."

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
I'm leaving this one alone:histeric:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
AKPsiMC03 said:
how about:

we dont know about how you grease your rear :rolleyes:
How about....We don't WANT to know about how you grease your rear!:D

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Always wear clean underwear in public, especially when working under your vehicle.

From the NORTHWEST FLORIDA DAILY NEWS comes this story of a Crestview couple who drove their car to Wal-Mart, only to have their car break down in the parking lot.

The man told his wife to carry on with the shopping while he fixed the car in the lot. The wife returned later to see a small group of people near the car. On closer inspection, she saw a pair of male legs protruding from under the chassis.

Although the man was in shorts, his lack of underpants turned private parts into glaring public ones. Unable to stand the embarrassment, she dutifully stepped forward, quickly put her hand UP his shorts, and tucked everything back into place.

On regaining her feet, she looked across the hood and found herself staring at her husband who was standing idly by.

The mechanic, however, had to have three stitches in his forehead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They rubbed grease on my assie nipples, tied me to the pier for high tide and threw pissclams at my assneck... But seriously, I never thought to look out back for fittings, since my '99 has none up front. It should have dawned on me to look, since I knew the car has an independent rear suspension and the Big Block 'Vette I once owned had fittings for the half shafts, (live rear axle) and I believe upper and lower control arms as well. Since it had been so long without grease, I'm suprised that yours actually took grease without first filling an empty grease cartridge with tranny fluid and hydraulically cleaning the joints out with the grease gun. That's an old trick I've used quite often on large trucks and heavy equipment. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
There are 8 grease fittings on the 87-93 cars.

2 tie rods front
2 tie rods back
2 ball joints front
2 ball joints back

I used to work in a shop, you started to know ever chassis pretty well. They were starting to switch over to the "lubed for life" fittings on newer chassis, but these cars all had the greasable ones.

The GM rear wheel drive cars (A, B, C, D, I think E, F, G, and K) from 70-96 without struts were 11 fittings all on the front. (GM was factory sealed on driveshaft)

2 upper ball joints
2 lower ball joints
2 inner tie rods
2 outer tie rods
1 idler arm
2 drag link

My 94 Fleetwood started to make some strange noises in the front end over bumps that seems to be fine now that I greased it. Seems the previous owner took it to jiffy Lube and they missed the top ones all the time based on the crud hiding the fitting.

·
Registered
2006 STS-4 1999 Deville Concours
1,488 Posts
Ok Ralph,

Even in Canada it must be getting close to spring, you should maybe get up from your computer and take a walk outside, get some fresh air! :histeric: Good info about the grease joints!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts