Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The V developed a noticeable miss on a road trip to Texarkana and back last week. Put it on the puter and #2 & #7 were recording quite a few misfires. We checked the new plugs. Good. Ohm'ed the wires. Good. Swapped MSD coils around. Good.

Moved on to fuel system. Pulled the injectors and had them bench tested. Three injectors clogged. Cleaned injectors. Good. Reinstalled.

During reinstallation noticed an intake manifold bolt sticking up a little. Sure enough, actually backed out. Found three more finger tight or worse. Retourqued all.

Back to runnin like a scalded dog.:bouncy:

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic
509 Posts
It's apparently fairly easy to over-torque those same bolts and strip them out - which then allows them to loosen significantly over time (obviously). As I understand it, the torque on those bolts is measured in inch-pounds, not ft.-lbs.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
If I understand your question, the bolt tightening procedure is sequenced from the center bolts to the outside bolts to minimize distortion of the plastic manifold.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,567 Posts
why are the bolt numbers are all over
The numbers are the order in which you tighten the fasteners. As darkman said, it's done that way to evenly load the manifold so you don't warp it or get an inconsistent seal somewhere. You'll see the same sort of torque patterns for the head bolts, oil pan bolts, etc - pretty much any large, structural component.

Here's a somewhat extreme example from the timing chain cover on the 6-cyl engine I've put into my Subaru:

The rear timing chain cover was even worse; I think it was 46 or 49 bolts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts