Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
Thanks for alerting others because you have probably saved several owners dollars and inconvenience! I added a teflon sheet shield to one point in my 2006 GMC Sierra engine compartment after catching a major harness that had worn through the outer protective sheath and was starting to wear through the individual wire insulation. That little routing/mounting decision by GM caused trouble for a lot of people and it often didn't happen until the warranty period was over; depending upon which wires shorted to each other or ground via the nearby metal it could also take out a very expensive ECM and FICM.

I was lucky with my 2018 GMC that the transmission cooler lines to the primary air to oil cooler aren't rubbing on a bumper mount because a lot of them were built that way. These are larger than typical diameter cooler lines that can't be just bent out of the way and although it is a known problem, GM won't fix the line until it actually leaks.

I was going to add a protective spacer to mine but I was one of the lucky ones where the supplier provided a "good" bend that provides plenty of clearance but some people have them fail in less than 5,000 miles. The GM response of not doing a preventative repair to an obvious issue with a customer's pickup is unacceptable; especially with these HD pickups that are often used by people towing horse and other heavy livestock trailers. A small hole in the line will cause the Allison transmission to dump enough fluid to render it inoperable in about a minute potentially stranding a large truck and trailer for an easily preventable reason and it is left up to the owners to take care of the issue to prevent breakdown. Years ago when the Canadian trade minister called his Yugoslavian counterpart in to raise hell about the high breakdown rate and poor service of the "Yugo", the rep's response was, "in my country we don't let people drive cars if they cannot repair them" and I guess this guy emigrated from the Balkans and got a job with the General. Although you can't catch everything, keeping up with potential issues with forums like this one and doing an inspection while you are waiting for the oil to drain during an oil change can help prevent many of these expensive and time consuming failures.

Rodger

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,464 Posts
OBTW - While you are at it pull your air cleaner box and look under it. You will see a Pinch Weld that has a line running over it. I put a small piece of 3/8" hose over it so it wouldn't rub thru the line running across it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts