Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then its telling me to check the power steering line, and it gets stiff to turn. And when I park it and turn it of for awhile it goes away...HELP

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Every now and then its telling me to check the power steering line, and it gets stiff to turn. And when I park it and turn it of for awhile it goes away...HELP
Check your fluid levels and also the condition of your battery and alternator.

Registered
2009 CTS4
I have a 2009 CTS4 with 78Kmiles. I had exactly this problem last month.

I think there are two possibilities =>
1) Battery charging system fault
2) Power steering pump dying
-------------------------------------------------------------
1) Battery charging system fault =>
It seems that the PCM will shut off the power steering if the alternator is not charging the battery well. Bad battery, bad alternator, or bad ground connection can cause this.
Confirm this by sequencing the display (on the instrument panel) to show the battery voltage. I think it should show over 14V after ignition. If it never reaches this voltage, it's a problem.
I once fixed this by cleaning off the Ground lug contact, which on my model is mounted in the engine compartment, on the front of the passenger side wheel well. Gotta remove some plastic shrouds to get to it, but it's easy. I think there are other threads here discussing this. Seems the ground lug is an issue. Probably because you can't see it unless you remove the shrouds... so it gets corroded or loose and you don't notice.

2) Power steering pump dying =>
I saw the same symptoms you describe. My charging system was OK, so I got the pump replaced last month at a Cadillac Dealer.
OEM Pump part number on my bill receipt is 15224339.
Part was $400, labor was $255 so a few hours.
Replacing the pump fixed it.

BTW... I love my CTS. The service tech at the dealer referred to it as "an older vehicle". I was shocked! I think the 2nd Gen CTS body design and look is the best. Mine is the burgundy color, which rocks. At the dealer it was coincidentally parked next to a 2015 CTS of the same color. I thought, man... GM really cheaped out on the front grill design of the 3rd Gen CTS. I'm still a V-wanna-be though! :)

Good luck!
Emmett

Registered
2010 CTS Wagon, Perf RWD, WDT, FE3 & 2012 CTS4 Luxury Sedan
The first thing is to check for codes. I had the same thing recently and P0450 was set. The fault was a solenoid steering assist motor. Motor was above voltage. Easy to change on the top left of the rack. Relatively common fault. Cost at the dealer for solenoid was 278.00 Can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)

It seems that the PCM will shut off the power steering if the alternator is not charging the battery well. Bad battery, bad alternator, or bad ground connection can cause this.
Confirm this by sequencing the display (on the instrument panel) to show the battery voltage. I think it should show over 14V after ignition. If it never reaches this voltage, it's a problem.
I once fixed this by cleaning off the Ground lug contact, which on my model is mounted in the engine compartment, on the front of the passenger side wheel well. Gotta remove some plastic shrouds to get to it, but it's easy. I think there are other threads here discussing this. Seems the ground lug is an issue. Probably because you can't see it unless you remove the shrouds... so it gets corroded or loose and you don't notice.

I saw the same symptoms you describe. My charging system was OK, so I got the pump replaced last month at a Cadillac Dealer.

BTW... I love my CTS. The service tech at the dealer referred to it as "an older vehicle". I was shocked! I think the 2nd Gen CTS body design and look is the best. Mine is the burgundy color, which rocks. At the dealer it was coincidentally parked next to a 2015 CTS of the same color. I thought, man... GM really cheaped out on the front grill design of the 3rd Gen CTS. I'm still a V-wanna-be though! :)

Good luck!
Emmett
Thanks for the info. I will try what you said. In order. Hope it isn't my pump.
I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS also. Its clean I get tons of compliments.

The first thing is to check for codes. I had the same thing recently and P0450 was set. The fault was a solenoid steering assist motor. Motor was above voltage. Easy to change on the top left of the rack. Relatively common fault. Cost at the dealer for solenoid was 278.00 Can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #6

Good luck!
Emmett
thanks again, I'm at a lost. I check the power steering fluid when it was hot and its where its supposed to be, oh the wired thing is that it didn't do it at all today. but now it won't start right away. some times it takes two try's or three try's accept the last two time it started normal with one try. I've been driving around all day. my last stop was to auto zone to use there code scanner and it only pulled up one code P2227 I goggled it and its reads Barometric pressure circuit ranger/performance. please help

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
thanks again, I'm at a lost. I check the power steering fluid when it was hot and its where its supposed to be, oh the wired thing is that it didn't do it at all today. but now it won't start right away. some times it takes two try's or three try's accept the last two time it started normal with one try. I've been driving around all day. my last stop was to auto zone to use there code scanner and it only pulled up one code P2227 I goggled it and its reads Barometric pressure circuit ranger/performance. please help
Check your fluid levels and also the condition of your battery and alternator.

Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
like Long mentioned...how is your car's battery???...how is the alternator???...

Bill

Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
Try sucking out the old fluid from the reservoir and then putting fresh fluid in then run your car for 15 seconds or so and repeat. Do that a couple of times and you'll end up with mostly fresh fluid in there and see if that helps. Get yourself a small vacuum pump like the one I will link to and it makes it pretty easy. I also use it to suck out fluid from the brake Reservoir once in a while also. Comes in handy for other things also.

Roy

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
Or use a turkey baster.

Registered
The vacuum pump can do lots of things that turkey baster can't do and it also won't get you in lots of trouble with the wife if you have one.

Roy

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
Turkey baster is quick, easy and cheap. I knew many women in college like that.

Registered
On a lot of pumps you can't get to the bottom of them with a turkey baster to suck it out but you usually can with the hose that comes with the pump I posted.

Roy

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
The battery is good and so is the alternator it keeps the volts ator above 14.
With some failure mechanisms the alternator (rectifier bridge) it is possible for the alternator to still charge the battery, but not reach the voltage it is supposed to. It should hit 14.8V to 15.0V, often it will do this a couple minutes after a cold start.

If you're alternator cannot ever exceed 14.2V, it isn't working right. They can fail this way, and the PCM may not recognize this is a failure lighting the "service charging system".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts