Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my QA1s back out and will ship this week for a rebuild. Good news is work has been good. Bad news is, it's been so good it takes me forever to get working on teh V.

Anywho, I'd like the guys who have installed their own QA1s to take a look at my shocks and make sure that I've got the mounts correct. I had no instructions so I went by what seemed to work. My front shocks are quiet but I'm getting an increasing metal to metal sound. It could be my adjustable end links. It could just be the eyelet of the front shock tapping the bottom mount. Take a gander...

Am I missing anything? A rubber spacer, maybe? This goes into the rubber shock bushing, which has been inverted in the previous GC install. The rubber and metal cups are intact on the top mount as well.

Then there is the rear mounts. This is where I'd like the most input. I basically just reinstalled the QA1s as the FG2s had been. I also re-used the dust shield from the FG2 onto the QA1. I'll see if I can find that pic. But in the meantime...

Note that I do not have a rubber washer between the bottom metal washer and the pillow mount. When removing the FG2s, the rubber washer had just about disintegrated on both sides. So I went without. I do have a fairly audible squeak that comes from the shock and I'm guessing that's it. Do you agree??

Anywho, I should be without my QA1s for close to a week. So I'm going to change the diff and tranny fluids as well as change the oil and bleed the brakes. I figure any parts I need to get I've got time for...

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Can't help you on assembly of these ... sorry bigjim. But, if my FG2s ever crap out on me, these are what I'll be going to.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
As far as the end links, make sure the nut are tight. I removed my Hotchkis bar cuz I couldn't get them to stop clunking. Turns out, that even though the nuts on the end links were tight at some angles, they were loose at others.

And thanks for reminding me about that. Gotta put the damn sway bar back before the 19th.

·
Registered
2005 CTS V (long gone), 2016 CT6
315 Posts
Those are sexy. Wish I could help with the install questions. Be sure to document everything once you have it all sorted out. I'd love to put those in when my original shocks need to be replaced.

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
rears look great... however, i left the qa1 bumpstop in and pulled the oem one out of the dust boot, so my dust boot is right under the mounting tabs no space between them.. (get what i am saying?) as for the front let me go look at mine on the car and i will be right back...

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
fronts are right on!

P

·
0 Posts
As SoJersay05V said, I believe the nut that on the shaft should be inside the dust boot.

PM me your address and I'll send you some new rubber washers to put in place of the large metal washer you have between the mount and dust boot. The only thing that should be in there is a rubber washer.

P

·
0 Posts
I cut off about 3/8" from the metal sleeve circled here and did not use the two golden Feffman washers. Just a different means to the same end, compressing the rubber mount.

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
thanks PISNUOFF for clearing that up... i guess you could run the boot where he has it at though if you wanted but i would like to keep all protected if possible...

*** jim whats those blue springs in the background???? you paint them?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks PISNUOFF for clearing that up... i guess you could run the boot where he has it at though if you wanted but i would like to keep all protected if possible...

*** jim whats those blue springs in the background???? you paint them?
I went with Hyperco springs instead of Eibachs.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rears look great... however, i left the qa1 bumpstop in and pulled the oem one out of the dust boot, so my dust boot is right under the mounting tabs no space between them.. (get what i am saying?) as for the front let me go look at mine on the car and i will be right back...
My used QA1s came sans rear bumpstops. Which is why I used the dustshields and their built in stops...

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As SoJersay05V said, I believe the nut that on the shaft should be inside the dust boot.

PM me your address and I'll send you some new rubber washers to put in place of the large metal washer you have between the mount and dust boot. The only thing that should be in there is a rubber washer.
Hmmm...

I needed to have that washer there because in my setup, the shock rod would protrude through the pillow mount. With the back seat out, the slightest bump would show the red spacer poking up through the pillow mount. I have that large steel washer below the mount to sandwich everything together. Is that why you have the dustshield higher?

The way I have it, there's no way I can take that bottom black washer out of the equation...

Hmmm...

P

·
0 Posts
Right. That is why the dust boot goes where the washer is at the bottom of the mount. The factory bump stop that is in the dust boot actually goes over the nuts in the middle of the shaft. Your car was all over the place because you were majorly hitting the bumpstops as they are about 1.25" lower than they should be. If you had moved the boot prior to V-Day, I bet you wouldn't have had to send them out to be rebuilt. Sorry we didn't discover that sooner.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right. That is why the dust boot goes where the washer is at the bottom of the mount. The factory bump stop that is in the dust boot actually goes over the nuts in the middle of the shaft. Your car was all over the place because you were majorly hitting the bumpstops as they are about 1.25" lower than they should be. If you had moved the boot prior to V-Day, I bet you wouldn't have had to send them out to be rebuilt. Sorry we didn't discover that sooner.
I still think the shocks needed to be re-spec'd. I had too much jounce in the front, although it wasn't as bad as the rear. I guess I'll know next week...

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nick at OC shocks said they had to do a bit of work on the QA1s. Hopefully I get the shocks back tonight and am mobile again.

DON'T BUY USED SHOCKS WITHOUT REBUILDING THEM RIGHT AWAY...

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
Jim, are you still under what it would have cost to buy them new? Or did the rebuild push you out of the "good deal" category?

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Once you get them on.... Sonic run? They are starting to build them in NJ.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim, are you still under what it would have cost to buy them new? Or did the rebuild push you out of the "good deal" category?
Rebuilding was about $400 shipped. with the starting price, I'm right at a new set. Add the extra set of 900lb rear springs when I was troubleshooting the issue and that was an extra $120...and the time to take everything apart and put it back together multiple times...

Once you get them on.... Sonic run? They are starting to build them in NJ.
The closest Sonic is in Eastern PA...until August! We're getting one North of Boston. Awesome!

But I wouldn't mind meeting up around Bear Mountain sometime next month...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts