C5R timing chain
Katech blue printed oil pump
GM Hot Cam AKA “twat cam” or “not cam”
FAST LSXr 102 intake with black satin paint
90mm throttle body
Katech coil relocation kit
Katech powder coated red anodize valve covers
Katech custom made fuel supply line.
Car had Kooks and Corsa installed previously.
Rumor on the Corvette forum has it that a LS6 crate motor is one of the most reliable track motors you can get. Once you crack one open, the durability goes way down. So if you want power mods you have to plan carefully and not get carried away. My goals were to get to 425 rwhp (Dyno Jet) or 400 rwhp (Mustang) and get there without relying on only a cam. Also I wanted to have all the bolt ons in place for the next guy if he wants to put up big dyno numbers. 1) Big power- 2) reasonable cost- 3) durability……pick any two. I took cost and durability. I went with a mild low lift cam (.525). I got 401 rwhp on the Mustang on the day it was tuned. Really is 20 more rwhp going to be a game changer come track day when it costs you a few grand every year to keep that motor together and replace valve train parts over and over. Roll racers and street guys might not have to worry but if you spend 15-20 hours HPDE a year, it’s a concern.
So here is my review. The engine is gorgeous. I spent way to much $ on making it look good. Valve covers, coil relocation, paint, belt tensioner. Without considering that stuff, Katech was very competitive with any reputable shop for a cam and head project. It was a great experience working with Jason Harding.
My car is now a now officially a toy. It’s changed forever. It’s lopey, loud and a bit raw. I wouldn’t take any customers out in it unless they were gear heads. I wouldn’t go to a dead guys wake in it or a PTA meeting or to traffic court. I will however wring it out 4 or 5 times a year at some road course, drive it to the local car meets and enjoy it a lot on the weekends in the summer.
It takes some considerable skill to drive this car now. Maxspeed is right about 31 lb clutches with a cammed motor. Guys with a Monster or LS7 clutch would have a lot less trouble. That GM HotCam is pretty lumpy for a baby cam. The sound of it makes F-body teenagers weep with joy . I can take off smoothly, but you need to concentrate and take your time. I killed it at least 5 times when I first picked it up. Once underway , the increased torque makes the car a little easier to drive normally because you can shift pretty quickly and smoothly. You do need to work on your technique for driving slow. I would not own this car if I lived in the city and had to deal with stop and go traffic, or at least I would not have a twin clutch. I drove it 350 miles home on the highway and it was surprisingly quiet at cruising speed in 6th gear. At WOT the car really delivers. The engine has a new personality. It sounds like the Corsa is ready to spit out it’s innards every time the throttle body is wide open. The power comes on smooth and appears to build exponentially. It burbles and pops like a GT1 car if you let off the throttle above 4K. I love it. I’m going to Autobahn on August 9th with MVP. Can’t wait.

Now for the guys who will flame me for what may be considered an underwhelming dyno sheet. First it’s a stingy ass Mustang. When the C6Z first came out it dynoed at 415 rwhp on a Mustang. Secondly, all chassis dynos are notoriously inconsistent from day to day. I’m no expert but it would be hard to believe that this motor would not be close to 500 on an engine dyno. Thirdly, I’m not really looking for big numbers, in fact I want some modest gains, a good curve and a reliable valve train. Thus the Hot Cam was chosen. The bottom line is if you are happy with feel of the car that’s all that counts. I am so far.
Things I like:
Looks great-gobs of useable power-solid feel to the engine- very tractable engine at all speeds-screams track star. Katech credibility.

Things I don’t :
New engine mods underscores shortcomings of a lightweight clutch (my cam is probably just small enough to get away with it). I’m not changing back, I’m just saying this is not for everyone.-Lost about 3 mpg on the highway- Idle takes some getting used to. Drive line back lash is more prevelant.

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,966 Posts
Dang! Looks nice! Did you get a banner for that newly-crowned garage queen?

Missed you. Yeah, yeah ... I know ... there wasn't time. You did a heap of traveling in one day.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Randy
I really wanted to stop in but it was overcast and I wasn't sure of the weather. I'm getting used to my new toy and I'm driving it pretty smooth now. I was a bit concerned at first but it's working out. I'm really loving the whole package. Those Katech guys are first class.

·
Registered
LS6 CTS-V
550 Posts
geez man! i saw your car for the first time like 5 weeks ago! a lot has changed since then:) i'm looking forward to seeing it this fall...

... and here i am excited about getting CCW's... seems a bit boring now :worship:

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
geez man! i saw your car for the first time like 5 weeks ago! a lot has changed since then:) i'm looking forward to seeing it this fall...

... and here i am excited about getting CCW's... seems a bit boring now :worship:
That's how it starts Josh..wheels then headers then clutches etc etc etc......

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
1,048 Posts
congrates , Nice build!

You should think about swapping in a slightly bigger cam, those heads have so much more potential . hot cam is old technology. They have specs now that will have better driveability and make more power !

As far as the twin, Mine was not fun to drive in the city but I got used to it . to bad the thing didnt last anyways (very poor design IMO). I now have a LS7 with the ram 18lb flywheel. Feels amazing and grabs suprisingly hard . I just got it in the car so Ill do a full review in another thread soon..

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
congrates , Nice build!

You should think about swapping in a slightly bigger cam, those heads have so much more potential . hot cam is old technology. They have specs now that will have better driveability and make more power !

As far as the twin, Mine was not fun to drive in the city but I got used to it . to bad the thing didnt last anyways (very poor design IMO). I now have a LS7 with the ram 18lb flywheel. Feels amazing and grabs suprisingly hard . I just got it in the car so Ill do a full review in another thread soon..
Thanks Max. I really put some thought into the hot cam. The LS3 guys love this cam because it gives the LS3 some really good gains. I'm leaving the door open to upgrade kinda like you did. BTW all chassis dynos suck. Search long enough and you'll find one that gives you the numbers you like. The Hot Cam is just a safe step in the process of mod hell. So far I'm liking it though.

·
Registered
2011 CTS V
316 Posts
Nice pics. I just had a guy tuned my car and fixed 98% of my idle hunting/surging/stalling and he said he just finished tuning a sweet CTS-V at Katech. I'm guessing it was yours! With this new tune, its fun to drive the car again. I also have the twin disk and got used to driving with it.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice pics. I just had a guy tuned my car and fixed 98% of my idle hunting/surging/stalling and he said he just finished tuning a sweet CTS-V at Katech. I'm guessing it was yours! With this new tune, its fun to drive the car again. I also have the twin disk and got used to driving with it.
Mine is getting better and better. Just have to pay a little more attention. Vector did a good job with driveability. You've got some nice numbers. Mustrang? Dyno Jet? That's a substantial cam. I feel better now. If you can fly that clutch with that cam I certainly can with mine. :)

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,971 Posts
For those like me who hate having to click on each link to see the images...

Sounds like you took your time, chose wisely, and got what you were looking for. Now, where are the video clips?! :p

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Being able to say you have a twat cam is worth every penny

That thing looks great! :2thumbs:

Post up a vid so we can hear it please

P

·
0 Posts
:yeah:

Would be even cooler if it were a stroker motor. Looks nice, good job.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Great build. +10 for videos.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being able to say you have a twat cam is worth every penny

That thing looks great! :2thumbs:

Post up a vid so we can hear it please
You know that twat cam isn't so bad. It smells a bit on start up but when it's warmed up it performs nicely.......WTF did I just say?

Seriously it's not a bad cam.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I saw the under hood pic a little pee came out. Very nice sir. How much were those valve covers?
http://store.katechengines.com/valve-covers-c9.aspx

A bit to much for bling. But it does elicit the pee factor. Don't forget the cost to powder coat........and the coil relocation kit.............and the wires........might as well get the pulley as well....oh shit what have I done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts