Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the check oil message after my car has been sitting for a while. after I clear the message while driving it does not come back on. I checked the oil this morning after the car had been sitting and the stick showed full. Some times when I check it with the car running it only shows up to the first hash mark, sometimes the dip stick wont show anything, is this normal?

I also noticed once that oil was dripping in a small amount from the area of the oil filter, but I have not seen it leak since then. The entire oil pan is soaked with oil on the passenger side but the driver side is dry with no oil. Maybe a leaking oil filter adapter or bad oil level sensor?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,078 Posts
Curiously, engine oil is always checked with the engine off for about 5 minutes, while transmission oil (in the Northstar 4T80E) is checked only with the engine running in P, warm. Oil level in the engine pan varies as engine speed and oil temperature, so therefore the static level check.......

The static initial 7.5 quart fill with filter for a Northstar lube oil pan is halfway up the dipstick hashmark. The top MAX mark is actually overfilled, as stated in a recent GM Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), and can be the reason for perceived excessive oil consumption.

The oil level sensor is the nylon-looking nut just to the passenger side of the oil filter adapter. They have been known to fail for no reason and set level warnings. Wait 'till your next oil change and stick a new one in - no more trouble than another drain plug. www.rockauto.com.

The oil filter adapter uses 2 O-rings to seal it to the block face. Check the 2 mounting bolts next oil change........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Sub, I added a quart of oil a couple of weeks ago when the message came on and I think I may have over filled it. The oil is all the way on the MAX mark now when I check it with the car off. Will it be OK to drive like this until I get the oil changed or do I need to change it now? I plan on driving over 600 miles this weekend probably 1,200 miles total round trip, by the time I get back to Illinois.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,078 Posts
You'll be OK, but the engine MAY consume a half quart fairly quickly. If it does, then maintain the oil between the lower mark and the middle. Good to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it matter where you buy the oil level sensor from for a 96 eldorado? I am trying to decide between Advance auto parts and Rock auto, the prices are almost the same. Advance auto would be more convenient because it is here in town.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know this thread is old but I might change my oil today and the oil level sensor. The oil level sensor at Advance auto is a different brand from the one a Rock Auto, should I order the one from Rock auto or just use the one from Advance? Neither one is an AC delco either does it matter? The one at Advance is made by BWD. Also what is the best percentage of oil life left to get an oil change? I'm at 33%

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,564 Posts
If it was a pressure switch I'd say stick with A/C Delco, but I would not be to worried about a level switch. I used to wait till the oil life was less than 10%. That's when you get the CHANGE OIL MESSAGE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts