Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 08 STS-V, 14 Raptor, 12 Camaro SS, 08 FJ
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get a catylist innefficiency code. Check engine light
I cleared the code thinking it was a fluke but it came back half mile down the road. What causes this code?
I only run 93 octane

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to call Jesse but both shop and cell were no answer and both mailboxes full. Jess, is this serious? I'm going to put my scan tool on and see if I catch anything in the mean time. I may have to remove the tune if I can't get Jess or catch anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
(Guess) You may have bad cats or a bad O2 sensor, probably the latter but I know nothing about your car.

You might want to reflash to stock but I would not think the tune would have anything to do with a sensor throwing a code. If your wondering whether the tune caused the code, without knowing more I would say that an emmission code would not be harmful if that is it...

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
This is why I am choosing to stick with hptuners. :)
Nice remark...

If you are throwing that code, you either have had bad gas, killed the cat, have a bad o2 sensor, or burnt wiring somewhere, or a blown fuse..

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
Nice remark...

If you are throwing that code, you either have had bad gas, killed the cat, have a bad o2 sensor, or burnt wiring somewhere, or a blown fuse..
I would check the O2 sensors first before replacing those undoubtedly expensive cats.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it will be the first test of returing the car back to stock program and letting the dealer figure it out under warrenty hopefully.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS-V
376 Posts
Nice remark...
Sorry if that was taken the wrong way. It wasn't meant to dis your product. at all. All I was saying was, I would rather use hptuners, since I already had it then get another tuner. I know for a fact the small issues that have come up with your handheld will be solved, This is the first go with it anyway, right? Like I have said, sorry for the un-intentional pun. was not meant like that.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
restored back to stock and CEL went away. Drove for an hour and it hasn't returned. If it was a hard failure of the CAT, O2 sensor or wiring it would still be throwing a CEL regardless of tune.

Going to leave it stock for a couple of weeks just to make sure.

BTW... I was on the "ract tune" since I got the tuner until now. I'll have to say its not a tune you want to keep on there for just around town driving. Shifts are pretty darn hard. I like it that way... but definately not a long term tune to leave on.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
restored back to stock and CEL went away. Drove for an hour and it hasn't returned. If it was a hard failure of the CAT, O2 sensor or wiring it would still be throwing a CEL regardless of tune.

Going to leave it stock for a couple of weeks just to make sure.

BTW... I was on the "ract tune" since I got the tuner until now. I'll have to say its not a tune you want to keep on there for just around town driving. Shifts are pretty darn hard. I like it that way... but definately not a long term tune to leave on.

The code dissapeared because the handheld clears all dtcs after the write. If it threw that code, it will come back. It is something that isnt a tune related thing.. Meaning no change to the software would make that show up. It will come back, It will just have to fail its 2 tests again. It "MAY" already be showing as a pending dtc in the software. It just has to see 2 failures before it will show again....

Could you tell a big difference in power/and trans going back to stock??

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Sorry if that was taken the wrong way. It wasn't meant to dis your product. at all. All I was saying was, I would rather use hptuners, since I already had it then get another tuner. I know for a fact the small issues that have come up with your handheld will be solved, This is the first go with it anyway, right? Like I have said, sorry for the un-intentional pun. was not meant like that.

Im sorry. It was pre caffine in the morning and i was in a funny mood.. I figured you where meaning it in a different way.. :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could you tell a big difference in power/and trans going back to stock??
uh!!! YES.... My neck doesn't jerk back each shift. :) And I can feel the TQ nannies back in play on acceleration. The engine doesn't sound as raw as the race tune did. Stock tune makes the gas pedal more spongy... Not as crisp.. I would wrap it up and say the stock tune is muted/subdued compared to race tune.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah thanks John! It wasnt on for 2 days and all of today until the second you asked.. Literally,, You asked and I said nope, looked a second time to verify within 5 seconds and it was on.. How about you just stay away fom my car... :)

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Make sure you flash the tune back to stock before you take it in for a possible Cat replacement. That was one of the specific issues mentioned in the GM letter to dealerships.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As long as Jess SCT handheld works correctly it should be back to stock. Well see

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
I don't think they would check the ECM for manipulation to replace the cats. I think they would only really check if you hurt your motor.

And on that note, if you did blow your motor they can sometimes tell if you have flashed to stock if they want to get forensic (which Ford does with all the Mustang guys that blow their motors). They can look to an abnormal number of battery disconnects or reflash points and some even have secret codes that are set off if the tune is changed.

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
I don't think they would check the ECM for manipulation to replace the cats. I think they would only really check if you hurt your motor.

According to the GM letter bad Cats was one of the specific things they were to check for a tuned ECM if they were to be replaced under warranty. Due to the fact they said a bad tune could cause premature failure. Now whether a particular dealership does this will probably vary depending upon who one goes to. But as I understand it for a Cat to go bad due to "poisoning" one would have to be running rich. Since these cars appear to come from the factory running PIG rich, I would think a decent tune that would better balance the fuel-air mixture would not only gain some HP, but also extend the Cat's service life ?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts