Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any words of advice: MY car is been in TWO different shops since the 8th. Supposedly a squirrel had gotten into my engine and chewed some peices up.. All that was fixed(As well as the air sensor) anbd the car felt like it was running better. 15 miles later check engine goes back on, bring it back, he changes sensor, i drive it 20 more miles, light goes on and this repeats another time. I brng it to another better shop on Friday & today he lets us know NOTHING is wrong with the car. NO ONE can figure out why my air sensor is making my check engine light go off--- STILL NEED TO RUN THIS THING THRU EMISSIONS and this check engine is an automatic failure.. has anyone dealt with this before?? WHAT THE HECK

·
Registered
2001 Catera Sport
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should probably add that the error code it is returning is P0171 or P0174 I believe.

·
Registered
Cadillac
146 Posts
According to alldata. The P0171 is Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1, and the P0174 is the Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2. So basically your running lean. I would check your oxygen sensors. See if you have any vacuum leaks anywhere, etc etc. But thats what those codes are.

·
Registered
2000 Catera Sport
390 Posts
I've owned my Cat for about 3 years and the longest amount of time the Check engine light has been off was one month strait. Its always somethin with this car. But when I first bought it, it was in and out of the dealer for a month troubleshooting the CHeck Engine light. They couldnt figure it out either and replaced a bunch of stuff like MAF sensor, coil pack, a couple fuel injectors. Finally the figured out it was a bad head gasket. It went about a month till the CEL came on again. This time it was some other problem, followed by another. You get the idea. So maybe you have some bigger problem that is causing the CEL. Mine was coolant from the headgasket leak messing up the 02 sensors or something. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
'97 Forest Green Catera
674 Posts
About four years ago, I had a stretch of about 3 years where the check engine light would come on very frequently. Tried a new gas cap, etc. Then, I was trying the easy way to stop some of my oil leaks and I put in one of those oil additives like Bar's leaks. Still have a bit of leakage, but as a by-product, I have not had a check engine light in three years.

Barry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts