Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 1995 deville with the 4.9 it has 127000 miles on it and has some trouble... from reviewing this site i know that i have to purchase an isc motor... but the real problem is my check engine light. it never turns on in town but when i hit the freeway it comes on after five minutes. i recently had the transmission rebuilt. i dont know if its overheating or what. i live in flagstaff arizona and used to take it on frequent trips to phoenix. now i am afraid that my beloved caddy wont make it anymore. i havent had the time to run the trouble code because the light turns off after shut down and restarting.....help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm pretty new here, but I have already learned from the forum, (and from past experience) that the computer will remember the problem codes and you just need to retrieve them. There are some excellant postings in regard to retrieving the codes. Now , if I could only figure out how to clear my codes:banghead:

Try this link: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well when i was 14 i read the manual cover to cover and could have sworn i saw something about resetting the entire system by doing some fairly odd things...what year model and engine do you have?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Correct.The DTC's will be stored as "History" (if the fault is no longer detected) for 50 ignition cycles. Pull 'em, they'll still be there.

bob'scaddy,
Check your original post on how to clear the DTC's.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Like was already said, the codes will be stored as history. If you are able to do so without getting too distracted, you can check codes while driving. When the check engine light comes on, check for codes. Find the current code and post it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My check engine light has been on for the past 100,000 miles. Came on at 105,000 on my way home from the 100,000 mile service where they flushed the transmission and did lots of things $2,700 worth. I called the next week they flushed the transmission again because the code said the was a problem in the trasaxle, came on again about 80 miles later. We took it to a tranmission place to change the sensor that was suppose to be a problem. The shop called and said it was not the senser but my torque converter, but he reccemnded a total rebuild given the miles, by now probably had 115,000 on it. Told him i wanted to talk to my husband and would get back to him. Differance in price was $1,800 for just torque converter and $3,000 for complete rebuid. I call back and left message with secretary to go ahead with the complete job. That was on a Mon. Friday I called to find out how soon they would be done with it, the fellow said "oh you wanted that fixed" ??? He never got the message, we went and picked up the car and deceided to drive it and worry if something happened.WE do have AAAplus. Today I have 208,000 on it and still shifts very smooth. I have lost about 1 or 2 miles per gallon as it doesn't shift into that final stage. I now average 23 to 24 MPG.

Morel of this long story is I think you are safe driving it. '98 Deville

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You probably would have been better off if you had never flushed the trans. If your trans oil life message came up, a drain and refill, with possibly a filter r/r, would have been sufficient. Trans flushing is not recommended. But, that is in the past for you now. The SES light is there as a warning to something admist. In your case, you loss a gear. In other cases, the cause for the light could be much different.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
It sounds like what you lost was the torque converter lock up (TCC) rather than a gear. Do a search for TCC. There is lots of info on it. While your at it go to the top left of this page, click on Technical Archives and read up on transmission flushing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took this car to the dealer where I purchased it and told them I wanted the 100,000 service. They told me I needed to have this done, I didn't request it. When I called to complain that my service engine soon was on they had me bring it in and they did it again thinking there may be some gunk in there causing it. Then they told me I must has got the transmission hot and that what was causing it. I wonder if the flush is not recemended are the dealers still doing it??? I suggested to my husband we have it done again at 200,000 then I got the manual out and it says not to do it until it tells you on the dash or if you drive under certain circumstances and none of them applied. :banghead:

Another concern I have is should we have the timing belt replaced, I am going to give this car to my grandson when I buy another.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The north* has a timing chain which lasts many times longer than a timing belt. Don't worry about that.

Just like your car has an oil life monitor, behind the scenes there is a trans oil life monitor. It will let you know when its life has expired.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Transmission flushing is a money maker. It is not a GM recommendation not to do it. It can be done successfully if done with the proper machine and by a qualified tech. You are far better off having it done by a dealer than Jiffy Lube.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts