Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SRX
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was driving home from Charleston, my check engine light began flashing while going DOWNHILL. I had just recently changed all six spark plugs and all six coil packs and I'm wondering if I've blown the fuse to the coil packs (I read in the wrong thread) because there's no reason to be miss firing in any cylinders at this point. I wonder what the hell is going on with this SRX. I’m running 89 octane too... shouldn’t be a gas issue. I’ll get the codes read tomorrow.
Since it has been less than a month and under 1000 miles since my tuneup, I can't imagine what the problem could be. Like I said, it only happens going downhill, as the car coasts. This thing is becoming a money pit.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
785 Posts
If it's misfiring then there is always a reason...codes will help to figure it out. Until the codes are had which will help but not a solve all, it could be a number of things from faulty coils/plugs, to poor connections, to contaminated gas, to DIY error. Going downhill puts a load on the engine and anything not in good operating order has a decent chance of showing up (from what I've read). I don't think a money pit can be applied for basic maintenance costs and upkeep such as a tune up on a 10 -15 year old vehicle that may not have been maintained well by previous owners. There are some issues inherent to the SRX, just like some issues are inherent to other makes and models.
Listing the year and engine type would be good under your profile name. If you have the V6, has the timing chain been replaced?

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
405 Posts
If you blew the fuse to the coilpacks...would they work...at all? ? They magically work going uphill? ?

Do a poormans chassis dyno for tune checking:
Find a good hill, long...or highway with some incline, open to higher speeds
Hold the trans in a higher gear at least 3rd or 4th,in a manual box this is easy
Hold at peak torque or so,,,like 2500rpm, accelerate to 4-4500rpm or so, varying degrees of throttle etc
You will be running the engine at it's potential, and how well it handles load/loading should be pretty clear, quickly.

If you don't grasp whats going down here with this idea, take it to a shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While I was driving home from Charleston, my check engine light began flashing while going DOWNHILL. I had just recently changed all six spark plugs and all six coil packs and I'm wondering if I've blown the fuse to the coil packs (I read in the wrong thread) because there's no reason to be miss firing in any cylinders at this point. I wonder what the hell is going on with this SRX. I’m running 89 octane too... shouldn’t be a gas issue. I’ll get the codes read tomorrow.
Since it has been less than a month and under 1000 miles since my tuneup, I can't imagine what the problem could be. Like I said, it only happens going downhill, as the car coasts. This thing is becoming a money pit.
You do not actually say there is a misfire and I agree that it is next to impossible to chase a gremlin without the year, engine and mileage, however the problem you are having reminds me of one I ran into a few years back. While going down hill the MIL would come on with no drivability concerns. Since it wasn't a hard code, the computer would not store the code. Driving with the scanner attached showed a defective oxygen sensor heater. Sometimes it is best to go to the shop than attack what may seem obvious. There are too many little things that throwing money at will not fix.

·
Registered
SRX
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that my profile has my vehicle info, but I can’t remember. As far as chasing this gremlin down, it turned out to be low on oil. The vehicle, a 2008 SRX4 with 95K miles on the 3.6L V6 engine, ran out of oil after a trip to the beach. Immediately after discovering this, I went for an oil change, and then over to Oriley’s, where they scanned it. I had a misfire on every single cylinder. I was kind of shocked, because those are brand new coil packs and plugs, and I also got some kind of cam shaft code too (there’s a picture of the code readout below). That one is disconcerting to say the least but the car is driving fine, it sounds good, and the check engine light came back on a couple of nights ago (I don’t drive a whole lot) just during a 2-mile round trip to the store and back, for no apparent reason.
I guess I’ll continue to keep an eye on everything I can (I have a spinal injury, mobility issues that keep me from even seeing where the dipstick goes back in) as far as maintenance goes, and if the engine blows and Car Shield doesn’t want to help, I’ll just have to replace it and I might just get myself a conversion to a V8.
This car is an inheritance for the most part, and I want to keep it no matter what due to that simple sentimental equity. I just don’t look forward to the plethora of sensors going off on a regular basis over the next 5-years or so and all the minor and major repairs that’ll assuredly follow.
If I have left any pertinent information, please shoot me a message and I’ll be happy to fill in the blanks. It’s a lot cooler than taking some pot shots at me the way some knowledgeable, yet prickishly arrogant members have been, or so I’m told.
Happy New Year!
Thanks for your time & consideration.
Fletch

·
Registered
SRX
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do not actually say there is a misfire and I agree that it is next to impossible to chase a gremlin without the year, engine and mileage, however the problem you are having reminds me of one I ran into a few years back. While going down hill the MIL would come on with no drivability concerns. Since it wasn't a hard code, the computer would not store the code. Driving with the scanner attached showed a defective oxygen sensor heater. Sometimes it is best to go to the shop than attack what may seem obvious. There are too many little things that throwing money at will not fix.
Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more. Finding a mechanic I can trust is at the top of my list right now. One’s relationship with their mechanic is nearly as sacred as other close relationships one could have. What I’m saying is that you spend a lot of money in this relationship, and you want to make sure that you’re not being taken advantage of, and “once bitten twice shy” comes to mind, but I need to trust that I can trust without being taken advantage of. 2020 is a good year for seeing the world clearly.

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
184 Posts
No oil:eek: I hope im wrong but is it timing chain?
That hole for dipstick is hard to find i always have to grab a shop light to see it.
I liked when cars had light under the hood it does hel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts