Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2002 DHS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had same light after getting new waterpump and housing new radiator and new thermostat replacement still sensor might be stuck in reservoir or just bad. It is dirty , I am on verge of buying new reservoir and replacing. Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,579 Posts
You could try removing the surge tank, fill it half way with soapy water and shake, shake, shake. You MIGHT get lucky and free the sensor, but in the end, you'll probably end up replacing it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,059 Posts
or - just replace the coolant level sensor

·
2002 DHS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still on the fence between what to do as I know the level is fine. I cant find a genuine tech who will help me replace. I want to do it myself, but wouldnt I need to bleed air from system or some process before draining removing and replacing?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
A correctly operating Northstar coolant system is self-bleeding.

In a Deville system you can pull the surge tank, quickly cap the open lower hose,and lose very little coolant.

Your surge tank has a FULL COLD legend and flat arrow molded into the top and side.

Do some Google work - "cadillac forums northstar purge line", "cadillac forums northstar cooling system coolant level", "cadillac forums northstar coolant exchange", "cadillac forums northstar surge tank replacement"..

Also study the several cooling system stickies in the Engines; Northstar forum.

It's all in here many, many times.

Deville 2000 reservoir tankside.jpg

·
Registered
2001 deville in mint condition. 2018 XT5 2018 370Z 2014 E350
169 Posts
Use the soapy water trick. I replaced the overflow tank 3 times. Still did not work correctly.. Finally used soapy water trick and it worked for several months. Just gave up and took sensor out. taped wires. I knew it was working correctly so I just deleted the sensor. No problems now.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,690 Posts
the surge tanks aren't hard to replace. When I did mine it took me maybe 30 minutes. Now that I know how it comes off and goes on, I could probably do it in 15 min.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Sometimes giving it a gentle loving tap towards to the sensor frees it up. I do that every coolant change, no matter what I do it seems to gum up for the next change anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts