Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "check coolant level" is always on when the car is on but no overheating and all three sensors as well as the coolant reservoir have been replaced. Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,403 Posts
Several fixes and diagnostics in here, Seville and Tech Tips.

The level sensor uses a reed switch in the tank bottom, with electrical connector. Inside, there's a magnetic float on a shaft - it moves about 0.6" to trip the reed switch.

If the vehicle owner uses various stop leak and coolant additive products, this can clog the float travel. Tank removal and hot, detergent water flush.

The reed switch or electrical connector may fail. Kicker is, the reed switch is not usually available separately. In that case, $58 for a brand new tank on Amazon.

Google "cadillac forums deville coolant level sensor" or something close.

Proper coolant level is right at the tank seam, cold. Your car has a surge tank with the FULL COLD legend and a flat arrow molded into the black top portion of the tank. Follow the arrow across and down to the level at the seam. "Cold" is after an overnight engine off at ambient temperatures.

EDIT: Welcome to the Funny Farm !!! :highfive: You want to read all the sticky posts on this forum's main threads page as well as in Engines; Northstar.

You can see the float through the translucent lower part of this Seville surge tank .................

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,779 Posts
If you have replaced the surge tank and STILL get a CHECK COOLANT message, I'd start looking at the connector, and wiring connections.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
My 1990 Lexus LS400 had this issue. The low coolant lamp was always illuminated, but the coolant was full. On that car, it was just a bad sensor in the tank.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
136 Posts
Do you ever have to add coolant?

Don't overfill, it takes a little extra effort to see the line, etc.

·
Registered
05 Deville
391 Posts
Bought my coolant reservoir from rockauto in December, mine was leaking but the check coolant message would not come on until it was indeed low.

Replaced the bad one and topped of the coolant, from then on I had a check coolant message.
Checked the connector and it was ok,
Next I called Dorman tech service and learned that they had a bad batch of coolant tanks that the coolant level sensor was wired in backwards.
Tried to reorder from rockauto and the girl told me that if she sent me a replacement that it would most likely be from the same bad batch, so I just did a return and got another tank from another source and it fixed the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts