Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 750li, MB S550, Bentley spur and Escalade platinum
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now, my 2000 Deville DHS it is usually say check coolant level, but, no leaking, the tank is full. so would you please help me how to clear that error.:banghead:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,437 Posts
nguyen, Sometimes our cars have a coolant level sensor failure OR the sensor does not give the correct message. The level sensor is part of the tank itself and cannot be replaced separately. Check the sensor electrical connector, on the bottom of the tank, and its wiring.

Your first course of action would be to partially drain the cooling system and remove the coolant reservoir (tank). Now, using a small amount of liquid dish detergent, wash out the reservoir by partially filling it with soap solution and agitating it forcefully. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water and install the tank. Fill slowly to half full, cold, using the proper 50/50 mix coolant. Check your level indications.... is all OK ??

If not, then the sensor itself is probably faulty. Look for a new replacement tank in Amazon, Automotive.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,691 Posts
now, my 2000 Deville DHS it is usually say check coolant level, but, no leaking, the tank is full. so would you please help me how to clear that error.:banghead:
The coolant level sensor is in the overflow tank. Remove the tank and fill it with hot soap water and shake it violently to try to clean and or free the stuck sensor. Then thoroughly rinse the tank out... if this doesn't work your in the tank replacement business. If you need a tank contact Chris at Rippy Cadillac his contact info is up in the vendor section.

Edit- looks like Sub beat me to it.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
OR....

You could shock the exterior surface of the "reservoir" with a rubber mallet without removing anything.

·
Registered
BMW 750li, MB S550, Bentley spur and Escalade platinum
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now i just fill the new coolant in, i use DEX COOL havoline extended life.
it still said Check Coolant level. but when i ignore it, click in the info button, it go out and do not pop up again until i turn off the key and restast the engine. So, how can i fix the Sensor. i think it have a problem.

·
Registered
2000 DHS
535 Posts
The message only comes on once per drive cycle. Every time you clear it it will stay gone until you start the car again. There are two nuts and one bolt (10mm deep socket) that hold the tank on. You will have to remove 2 hoses, and the sensor plug at the bottom to be disconnected, then you can take the tank out. Drain some coolant as Sub suggested to prevent a mess before doing this. Once you have it out rinse it out with clean water, then use a mixture of liquid dish washing soap and water to fill about 2/3 full (leave some air space so the soapy water can agitate when you are shaking it. When you are done, rinse ALL THE SOAP out of the tank, reinstall and refill with 50/50 Dexcool. If the problem persists there are a number of places on the internet such as Rockauto.com that sell new tanks for under $100.00US. The sensor is not available separately, you must replace the tank. Fortunately, it is just a bad sensor and it will not harm the car to continue to drive it until you get the part as long as the reservoir is at the cold fill line molded into the drivers side of the tank (if you have a left hand drive car). Compnine has illustrated parts diagrams that will show you how the reservoir is mounted as well as factory part numbers.

I don't think you will get anymore complete information on this from anyone else than what has already been provided on this thread. It is an easy job, less than an hour to complete in your driveway.

You can clear the DIC message by pushing the button to the left of the reset button on the instrument panel (left most button of the cluster of three buttons to the right of the instrument panel. The message will stay gone until you shut off the engine and restart it.

Good luck and welcome to the forums, Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts