Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the numbers are in. Volant won the Intake war. Now for the scramble for the best deal on a Volant. Watch S&H as it can sour the deal.
HotRod Shops, Auto Parts store or Ebay?

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
No volants on e-bay right now.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Reactions: RobertCTS

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
unfortunately, yes. (for the volant)

the k&n kit includes the harder moulded air tube like the piece that comes with the 3.6 volant kit. i may get the k&n back out and really try to make the air duct form to fit...i don't like the stock tube as much...but honestly i'm not sure there will be a difference.

does anyone think it's ironic that lingenfelter makes their intake much like the k&n? i believe those boys know what they are doing over there...just seems strange.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
do you think the 3.2 will have a good increase still with the weird stock tubing??

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
nickc50310 said:
do you think the 3.2 will have a good increase still with the weird stock tubing??
undoubtedly. i have the volant on my 3.2 and see a big difference. the main issues here are the air accepting area (cone) and the ability to accept cooler air (the front duct). for the tube, the straighter the better, but this really isn't as much of a concern as the other 2 issues.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
I was just wondering about that myself... Same price but we 3.2L owners get half the equipment?? Sucks we have to re-use the stock tubing. Makes it seem not worth it. Part of the reason the Volant won the challenge is in its tube design but if u x that out and just use the air filter & cold air box how well does that work?? Cant be the same as the 3.6L volant as far as power increase.

Man I was really excited about getting the Volant but might just have to go with the K&N. W/o the tubing I just dont believe the Volant on the 3.2L is worth the money.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
819 Posts
Well, since I have the v grill, including the lower section, the tony-a was not going to work without a lot of monkeying around. So, now that we know the Volant is better anyway (sorry, Robert...) for those of you that have installed the Volant youself, how tough of a DIY is this?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
you may be right about the money, but i'm not sure you'd be right about the performance. i think the volant is a better system.

if you do, on the other hand really want the k&n, i'll sell you the full system for a 3.2 (cone, shield and tube) for 110+shipping (only what it will cost on shipping, no other). the system was used for 2 weeks then taken off due to dealer apprehensive-ness when the car was being serviced.

your call.

**EDIT**

for thefreds question: it's about the easiest DIY project possible for your car. seriously takes like 30 minutes maybe. after putting them on and off for a few weeks it now takes me about 10 minutes to throw one on...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
thefred said:
for those of you that have installed the Volant youself, how tough of a DIY is this?
Very easy . . . 20 minutes, tops. Three bolts hold the old airbox in place. Disconnect the MAF harness and the band clamp and the old airbox comes right out. Swap the MAF to the Volant, install the filter inside, put the top on, and the whole thing sits in place with no bolts. Connect the MAF harness, and bandclamp on the intake, and you're done. With the 3.6L, the Volant comes with a new intake tube.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
So you think the 3.2L & 3.6L Volant performance wise are the same?
Just trying to gather as much info before I make a purchase.

Hold on to that K&N though, I might just buy it from you.
Can I use paypal to purchase it?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i have a paypal account, but i need to see about accepting funds as i;ve only ever withdrew from it.

in my opinion, the difference will probably be negligeable if there will even be a difference. hopefully Ody (i think it was Ody) will try and do a dyno run with his 3.2 and the different systems just like HaveBlue did...but you'll have to talk to him to see if that will go down...

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
in the intake challenge thread he talked about folding back the radiator deflrector for the volant. is this something that is required for the 3.2 as well?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
if you want the cool air from the front grill to enter the scoop, yes. otherwise the scoop sits up against a thin black fabric "shield" and gets blocked from accepting air. will it work still? of course. will it not work as good if you don't cut it? no. the process is very easy and you shouldn't worry about that too much.

i made a fast couple powerpoint slides on it but i can redo it and maybe include actually mounting the volant and we can put it in the FAQ like the tonya.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a K&N. It was noisey and it whistled. I removed it and sold it. The buyer had it on a couple of weeks and removed it and sold it. To much noise and it whistled. I've heard about the whistle from several users. I didn't like the idea of all the heated engine air entering the system either.

Volant doesn't tell you much in the instructions. Not even to cut the fabric. Often the screws aren't the proper length. Just giving a heads up. I'll still get one.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Whistled or winned like a super charger?? Noisey how??
Wish someone has a sound bite..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts