Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Chasing my tail

744 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  basscatt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, long time creeper, first time poster. I want to start out by saying these forums are great and I'm thankful for all the information available.
I have a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS. I don't know any history of the car. The guy I got it from said it's been sitting for the last 6 months. Apparently he got it home and never did anything with it. So basically there's no info at all.
I put a battery in it and it started right up. I drove it home about 3 miles and that's when I noticed a few issues. I'm going to leave out the ones I consider to be minor issues that I'm not too worried about right now.
My biggest concern is that the headlights never turn off. Even after 10 minutes.
There's no radio in the car. Which is a big problem. Someone tried to install an aftermarket radio at some point and I would bet they quickly found out that it's more than they could handle. In doing so they cut out the 32 pin connector that plugs into the factory radio.
The guages dont work, they don't move at all. There's no lights on the dash or the info center.

#3 · (Edited)
No it's not and I have the wipers in the off position as well. The lights stay on even with the car off and keys out. They should turn off after 10 minutes but that doesn't work either.
I pulled the fuse for drl and nothing changed. I've turned out all the lights in my garage and messed with it and I also tried in the driveway during both day and night time. I did take the switch apart and swapped it out but nothing changed.
Here are photos of the old and new switches. You can see the old one had burned the circuit or whatever. I thought it was weird the way it followed a path.

#4 ·
Hello everyone, long time creeper, first time poster. I want to start out by saying these forums are great and I'm thankful for all the information available.
I have a 2002 Cadillac Seville STS. I don't know any history of the car. The guy I got it from said it's been sitting for the last 6 months. Apparently he got it home and never did anything with it. So basically there's no info at all.
I put a battery in it and it started right up. I drove it home about 3 miles and that's when I noticed a few issues. I'm going to leave out the ones I consider to be minor issues that I'm not too worried about right now.
My biggest concern is that the headlights never turn off. Even after 10 minutes. I have to disconnect the battery. So there's a problem with the rap system.
There's no radio in the car. Which is a big problem. Someone tried to install an aftermarket radio at some point and I would bet they quickly found out that it's more than they could handle. In doing so they cut out the 32 pin connector that plugs into the factory radio.
The guages dont work, they don't move at all. There's no lights on the dash or the info center.
========================
I hope you got the car really - REALLY - REALLY cheap!

My biggest concern is that the headlights never turn off. Even after 10 minutes.
I have to disconnect the battery. So there's a problem with the rap system.

RAP - Retained Accessory Power - has nothing to do with the headlights -

you might try unplugging the headlight switch rather than disconnecting the battery -
the problem with constantly disconnecting the battery is that doing so clears ALL stored codes -
and codes help diagnose the problems -

regarding the hacked up radio plug - THAT could be causing most of your problems -
the radio is part of the ANTI-THEFT system - I'm somewhat surprised that the car even runs -

I HOPE you are good with soldering and shrink-wrap tubing -
AND have a LOT of patience -

hit the local junkyard and find a 2002 or later Seville -
cut the radio plug out of it - and splice it back into your car -
NOTE - there was a change in the electronics starting with the 2002 model year -
meaning - the plug and radio from a 2001 and older Seville WILL NOT WORK!

#5 ·
After 10 minutes it is supposed to turn everything off right? I thought that was all tied together. Maybe I was thinking since it's 10 minutes for accessory power that it was 10 minutes for lights.
I have tried it with the switch unplugged when I replaced the switch.
The local junkyard does not allow the public into the yard but I'm trying to negotiate with the guy.
The car has on star and the subwoofer in the rear deck is a Bose so I'm assuming it had a Bose head unit. Would that make a difference in the wiring at the 32 pin connector?

#10 ·
After 10 minutes it is supposed to turn everything off right? I thought that was all tied together. Maybe I was thinking since it's 10 minutes for accessory power that it was 10 minutes for lights.
The local junkyard does not allow the public into the yard but I'm trying to negotiate with the guy.
The car has on star and the subwoofer in the rear deck is a Bose so I'm assuming it had a Bose head unit. Would that make a difference in the wiring at the 32 pin connector?
======================
After 10 minutes it is supposed to turn everything off right?
headlights are NOT powered through the RAP circuit -
and if the Twilight Sentinel is turned off -
the headlights stay on until you manually turn them off -

and the RESULTS?

#7 ·
If the Bose system has been tampered with it's anyone's guess as to the extent of the damage, Those systems are part of the car's built-in TheftLock (head unit) content theft and security and serial data bus systems.

#8 ·
I know, that's why I was surprised that it runs and drives.
I don't know if all of the problems are from the radio being removed but I do know that it plays a big part.
I have been reading alot about the audio system and everything in these forums.
I was thinking and it was suggested earlier that I should get the plug for the original radio from a salvage yard.
I was thinking I could get a 32 pin plug and rearrange the pins if I could find the right pin layout and wiring diagrams for the vehicle. I've looked all over for them but they've all been wrong. Here's a pic of the wires up front. If I can get it back to its original state I was thinking I will install a head unit the right way using the necessary harnesses and interfaces.

#12 ·
Unless your vehicle has twilight sentinel they will not turn themselves off. The feature you are looki for (auto headlamps) was not standard on your vehicle. It was a few years later that GM phased in auto headlamps for all North American vehicles.
Twilight sentinal was an optional system that was available on your vehicle. Look in the owners manual (or find it online) for the description and operation of your vehicle.
It might be the twilight sentinal system that has failed.

#14 ·
Unless your vehicle has twilight sentinel they will not turn themselves off. The feature you are looki for (auto headlamps) was not standard on your vehicle. It was a few years later that GM phased in auto headlamps for all North American vehicles.
Twilight sentinal was an optional system that was available on your vehicle. Look in the owners manual (or find it online) for the description and operation of your vehicle.
It might be the twilight sentinal system that has failed.
=====================
Unless your vehicle has twilight sentinel they will not turn themselves off.
The feature you are looki for (auto headlamps) was not standard on your vehicle

ALL Seville models (and Deville models) have Twilight Sentinel - standard -

they also have the Exterior Lighting Battery Saver feature -
which turns OFF the MANUALLY turned ON exterior lights if forgotten and left on -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.