Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my stepson a 1983 Sedan Deville, inwitch I had put the last Good,
( if there is such a thing ) HT4100 motor I had left.

it ran fine for 2 months, and I guess the motor itself still does, but now the car does not seem to want to charge the Battery. so I checked the battery it was bad. I check alternator, it's good.

I took the battery back to the place I perchached 1 year ago they agreed. they gave me a new one.

New Battery:banana:

OK.... so the next day he calls me back, car dead on side of road again. I check alteranator, after boost, car runs with battery disconnected so I clean the terminals again and replace the side post studs. next morning with battery full charge I check for short in sytem, by unhooking the negative battery post and putting test light between the negative post and negative cable. nothing ( original radio has been replaced no need to remove clock fuse ) its not draining battery overnight!!!!

next day. dead on side of road yet again.... so I replace alternator with spare I had, and put on new belt. car runs with no battery, alternator works!!!!!! charge battery overnight on charger :mad:

Tonight during my wedding aniversary dinner I get a call. car dead on side of road again! left car in parking lot. took battery home to charge.

Checked codes yesterday. says code 52
Book says (5.7L Chevy engines )calpak Error?
Check Calpak installation. if OK ECM may be faulty.
if Calpak or ecm is shot or malfunctioning can it screwup/effect charging system?

car originaly had HT 4100
after swap Car still is HT4100 not 5.7L chevy!

Car runs fine otherwise... My multy tester has had a dead battery for awhile now. I guess tomorrow I will go buy a battery for it and completly test the charging system per the repair manual.

Am I missing something? Never had this problem on a Caddy before. does the computer had anything to do with the charging system?

the voltage regulator is in the alternator on these so what the hell? :banghead2
I hate to spend money on a rebuilt alternator unless I'm sure it's bad.
at least not this week.

I'm getting frustrated.

Please help :worship: OH! Great Caddy motor Guru !!!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
BTW.. I took care of your other thread... :thumbsup:

Now, the best advice I can give you is to have the battery and charging system checked out...... Take it to autozone or someplace like that, and they can tell you the problem..... They have more sophisticated equipment, nad sometimes a multimeter wont reveal everything!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I worked on the car all afternoon today took it to Advance auto,
Checked both alternators on machine, and a rebuit out of the box too just to compare.

Alternators top knotch.. both of them

Checked charging system on car with machine......Garbage :banghead2

Whent through every wire checked/cleaned/rewired when needed.
added ground strap from block to frame and then to body, just to be shure.

It sounds real short and sweet here but it took all afternoon along with testing the car 3 more times during the coarse of the day...all failed

Finally... 5:00pm Whent through all the books check every possible thing in the world .....test good 14 volts or so :banana:

car runs good... battery charging...we go out to eat to celebrate.

Got a call at 7:30 pm Car dead on side of road again :banghead:

I've done everything every service manual I can find says to check. I even borowed a book that specializes on automotive Electrical systems.
dotted every i and crossed every T.

Crap out of luck :basketcas

A rag in the tank and a box of wooden matches maybe called for here.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
If You Can Rotate The Alternator Pulley Against Normal Rotation When The Engine Is Off, The Smog Pump Belt Is Loose Or Glazed. Please Post Final Diagnosis On This Thread To Help Us All.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I went to see the car after work today, the belt in question is toast/loose.
I will fix this weekend and then have it checked again on the machine.
That has to be it. thank you so much. :banana:

I was so pissed of at the car that I missed the obvious, happens some times. :bulging:

all I needed was somebody with a fresh perspective.
I'll update further when It's fixed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup problem solved.

thank's guy's:bouncy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
scootterone