Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my alternator in my 2006 STS about a week ago. Since then I have been getting a high voltage warning on my dashboard, around 18+. All my accessories power off during this time. Finally about 7-10 min later voltage goes back to normal around 13V, and all my accessories turn back on.
I thought the alternator just need time to adjust or something, but I was driving home the other night and realized my headlights were not on. I tried my high beams and low beams nothing. The dashboard lights were on but there was no output.
I had my alternator tested this morning and they said it was fine, but it was test after the alternator was a 13V not 18V.
So I started check fuse and relays. Nothing seems broke.

Does anyone have some ideas?

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,741 Posts
Some modern cars use "smart" battery charging to control how much work the alternator is doing and thus make the engine more efficient. I don't know for certain, but maybe the STS has that sort of "smart" charging system, and if you replace the alternator it needs to be reset somehow with a Tech2 to ensure it operates correctly?

·
Registered
08 STS Nstar RWD, 21 Challenger RT M6 Shaker!, 68 LeMans convertible 6.6, 00 WS6 Trans Am 6-spd
332 Posts
Some modern cars use "smart" battery charging to control how much work the alternator is doing and thus make the engine more efficient. I don't know for certain, but maybe the STS has that sort of "smart" charging system, and if you replace the alternator it needs to be reset somehow with a Tech2 to ensure it operates correctly?
My 08 does have a smart charging system, but when the alternator gets replaced there is no need to use a Tech 2 or similar to control the alt output. Mine was noisy from a bad bearing in the alt, replaced it no issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts