Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ESC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Eldorado ESC with 107K miles. I have recently developed the cold knock when first started up. Once it begins to warm up the knock goes away. This only happens when it is very cold outside. It is winter here in Ohio. Summer time I don't have a knock. Yes I have read the service bulletin about the combustion chamber deposits. I was thinking of going to the 0W -30 weight synthetic from a 5W - 30 weight synthetic. My questions are: Will the 0W - 30 silence my cold knock? Will I damage my engine using 0W - 30? Would the 0W - 30 increase the combustion chamber deposits? Thank you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,046 Posts
I seriously doubt that changing to a 0W-30 will accomplish anything - or increase combustion chamber carbon buildup.. The 5W- is very liquid at low temperatures so it flows well and lubricates quickly at cold start.

Get out in the boondocks and, with the powertrain thoroughly warmed up (>10 mile drive) perform several WOT exercises*.

Google "cadillac forums northstar cold carbon rap".

*Read the section "Occasional full-throttle acceleration is good........" in the Archive, written by a member who was a GM Northstar Systems powertrain engineer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts