Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is changing the oil pan gasket a major job on a 94 STS? I have my car in the shop right now because it was leaking oil. The mechanic said changing the oil pan gasket on these cars requires pulling the transmission back to get at the oil pan. Is this true? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure what your mechanic means by pulling the transmission "BACK", but you can not acess the pan bolts with the engine and tranny bolted together.
DaveC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveC said:
I'm not sure what your mechanic means by pulling the transmission "BACK", but you can not acess the pan bolts with the engine and tranny bolted together.
DaveC
Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me. Is changing the oil pan gasket a big deal? My car has been in the shop now for a week. Part of the problem I think is that the mechanic has not been able to get at it but when I spoke with the shop today he said it was a big job and might take an additional 4 hours. The shop said the job would cost $709 Canadian to do the job. Does this sound right or am I getting hosed?

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
jbj99,
Changing the oil pan gasket is a pretty big deal for these cars. (expensive). You have to remove the tranny or the engine to get to the bolts. Consequently it's in your best interest to determine exactly where the oil is coming from. The entire area should be cleaned then observed to determine the problem area. It could be loose bolts/fittings associated with the oil filter adapter and/or the oil cooler lines attached to the adapter. These problems are easily fixed. Main thing is to look for the easy fixes first. If it is the oil pan gasket and not too bad you could just live with it.

good luck
DaveC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts