Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading the sounds in cts post, ive decided to change my stock sub...

can anyone share on how to change this? Is an amp needed or can i just swap the old one for a newer one?

what size is the stock one?

thanks

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
The stock one is 10 inch, the big problem is its a 2 voice coil - 2 ohm speaker that is a free air sub. They've been difficult to locate, but I found an Infinity one at circuit city that is a free air unit. I'll check it out to see if it can be just plug and play and let everyone know. I've added pics of what your up against. :banghead:

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
B Hoth said:
The stock one is 10 inch, the big problem is its a 2 voice coil - 2 ohm speaker that is a free air sub. They've been difficult to locate, but I found an Infinity one at circuit city that is a free air unit. I'll check it out to see if it can be just plug and play and let everyone know. I've added pics of what your up against. :banghead:
Which sub are you talking about? If you are talking about the REF1042W, it might not work. The specs say it is 2 or 8 ohms which I take to mean 4 ohms per coil. If you wire them in series, they are 8. If you wire them in parellel, they are 2. The stock sub is 2 ohms per voice coil which means they can be wired for 1 or 4 ohms. I hope I'm wrong because that would be a nice sub to drop in the back.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Yes it is the 1042, I'll research it further this morning and let everyone know.

G

·
0 Posts
I am on the same boat, I have had my CTS for 7 months now and have been wanting to change the stereo since day one. My plan is to add a JL audio e1400d mono sub amp which can accept high level input, I will run Kicker free air sub(Kicker does not make it anymore but I have 1 from a few years back). I also plan to dynomat the crap out of the rear deck so I will not have any rattles. Whats cool about the JL audio amp is that you can buy a wired remote for the gain of the sub and you could adjust the sub level right from the drivers seat. I figure the front speakers sound pretty good so adding the sub should keep me happy.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
The front speakers are pretty much plug and play. I swapped the tweeters and front 5.25's with Infinity Reference component speakers. The back doors have a set of 5.25 Pioneer Premiers (from my Grand Prix). The tweeters and back door stock speakers are 4 ohm, the front 5.25's are 2 ohm but the Infinity's are 4 ohm. Now I get nice rich sound with much more pronounced highs and better base responce. Could have stopped there, but noticed that the base was sloppy (looking for tight here). I just purchased Infinity 1042w 10 inch sub-woofer and will try to wire it thru the stock amp in the trunk. I might have to put an enclosure around it on the deck, but I'll listen to it first with out and see what I get. Hopefully this is the trick. The amps seem to put out decent power but the distortion on the highest end is more noticable. I'll keep a posting of the results.........Does anyone have any suggestions on the stock wiring to the amp since there are no available plug in. The stock plug has 4 prongs so I'm assuming this can be split into two with two connecting to each voice coil. My question is identifiying which wires go together for the proper connection. This has definetly turned into a project.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
What a project this has turned out to be! There is just no way to make the stock amp work for us on a plug and play set-up. As long as you go the 2 ohm kappa's in the door's (or similar set-up 2 ohm speakers) and you are happy with that, then you are golden. Myself, I wanted a little more and have opened myself to a bit of work. The reason you can't replace the sub and all the door speakers is because their is just not enough go juice in the stock amp. My plan is to use a HiFonics amp for the sub (from the old car)and a 4 channel amp for the doors and tweeters. if that doesn't get it I will try a 5 channel amp(size being an issue) HiFonics makes one for $239 on line. I wish I could tell all of you that nirvana is a couple hundred dollars of speakers, unfortunatley no! I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible while maintaining quality control. It sure is difficult! I'l keep posting results and options as I go. Please anyone has input please chime in!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts