Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I am trying to replace my spark plugs. I can see the wire but when i tried to pull the wire it won't come out. Does anyone know how to remove the spark wire or have service manual that i can read?

·
Registered
'06' Escalade
182 Posts
Most of the time the plug wire boot will be tight/stuck on the plug if it's never been off. You can buy a tool from your local auto parts store that is specifically for plug wire removal. I would also recommend you get a manual for your year ride.
Just a precaution, if your not mechanically inclined I would recommend taking to a local reputable shop/mechanic for this procedure. I'm not sure but your engine may have aluminum heads and if you cross thread a plug when installing the new ones it's gonna cost you a lot more than you bargained for.:banghead:

Just my .02

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
As said above be careful with the aluminum heads, they make a lube to put on the threads of the plugs so they do not weld themselves in the head. I changed the plugs on my 03', only one was a pain. The tool you are looking for is a "boot puller" for spark plug boots. :)

·
Registered
Cadillac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am using champion double platinum.

Back to the boot puller. Do you place the puller on the metal head or on rubber and pull it out?

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
540 Posts
Three things that you cannot overlook for sure is:

1: Spark plug gapping
2: Dieslectric grease on the boot side of the spark plug( makes getting the boot off alot easier down the road)
3: Anti-Seize on the threads of the spark plug, use somewhat sparingly.

Make sure when you put the plugs in not to use any tools, Just your plug socket and extension. Turn it slowly until you have thread engagement and make sure it seats properly. You don't need a breaker bar to seat the two mating surfaces. German torque standards are all right there, Goodentight.

take your time because timeserts on your head are not cheap....:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts