Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Currently 91 Allante, Past 82 and 93 Eldorados RIP Eldos
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree that its a pass at 6, would you consider at 4,500. That is what I always ask my self when I offer, I try to ignore what they are asking and go with what I think the value is.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
779 Posts
I agree that its a pass at 6, would you consider at 4,500. That is what I always ask my self when I offer, I try to ignore what they are asking and go with what I think the value is.
I’m afraid that It’s getting to the point where you’re asking the wrong person, but only because of the price differences in your area compared to mine... I’m not used to seeing prices like that so it’s hard for me to justify paying that much for a car I don’t love. At the same time what I like may not necessarily be what you find appealing even if it’s the same model car.

I guess you were right about the prices being higher in that area.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
Based on ownership and repair service counterman work at our local Western (Tire&) Auto I'd offer the observation that, as long as the FWD Northstar Devilles, Sevilles, and Eldorados are in good condition and well maintained they belong to the first or second owners. As soon as something goes wrong or any significant deterioration is noticed the cars go up for sale. We see at least one of those cars a week, driven or towed in by a new owner - and most often the problem is scary expensive to fix.

You really need to be attached to the car in order to fork over BIG bucks for repairs. Small recurrent stuff falls into the realm of normal care and maintenance. But when something in the engine, transmission, suspension, body goes kaboom! you're into the $2,000+++ repair world.

Don't rear me wrong - I really, really, really like my STS and will dump however much money is needed to keep it healthy But others won't do that to a 15 - 25 year old car and so it goes into Craigslist. And now the Northstar creampuffs are few and far between - especially for the first-time FWD Cadillac buyer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The price differnce here is much different, San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose have 3 of the top 6 cost of living in the US. Salaries are also higher here (a lot of electricians pull in 175k a year) so prices are just different.

Submariner-thanks for that and I will try to really keep it to things with a carfax and low number of owners. I had no engine problems with my 93 eldorado but the electrical was crap. I am also thinking of talking to a local shop on what it would cost to get a reman northstar installed. Seeing some cars with blown engines that have really clean bodies and interior. Could end up costing about the same and would have a better engine. Any thoughts on doing that?

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
779 Posts
I took a weeklong vacation in San Francisco once and the thing I’ll never forget is how much they charge for parking everywhere in that city. Even the hotel we were staying at charged us $25 per day to park our car in the parking lot. This was 10yrs. ago so that sort of stuff was unheard of anywhere else.

Every single place you parked the car they wanted at least $20 for parking. Even the local diners. What the F? Lol.

·
Administrator
71,095 Posts
ELDO - back in the Dark Ages (80s - 90s) one of our sons-in-law was Navy stationed in Monterey so we spent several trips of a week or so there. We would drive a rental from SF airport down, stay in Carmel for a week, then back to SF and spend 3 days in a Chinese motel at the top of Grant Street. You could walk pretty much anywhere and not feel threatened, especially in Chinatown and Little Italy - and the food was to die for. The off-street motel parking was free and lunch/dinners were reasonable for the area. Good memories - but a 2019 business trip to SF left a bad taste in my mouth - from all aspects - the costs, the people, the filth. SF has really gone downhill - way downhill. (Not that DC, Philadelphia, and Baltimore are any better.)

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
779 Posts
ELDO - back in the Dark Ages (80s - 90s) one of our sons-in-law was Navy stationed in Monterey so we spent several trips of a week or so there. We would drive a rental from SF airport down, stay in Carmel for a week, then back to SF and spend 3 days in a Chinese motel at the top of Grant Street. You could walk pretty much anywhere and not feel threatened, especially in Chinatown and Little Italy - and the food was to die for. The off-street motel parking was free and lunch/dinners were reasonable for the area. Good memories - but a 2019 business trip to SF left a bad taste in my mouth - from all aspects - the costs, the people, the filth. SF has really gone downhill - way downhill. (Not that DC, Philadelphia, and Baltimore are any better.)
Interesting.. I’ve been back once on business, but it was only to Hayward, which is nearby but doesn’t suffer the same outrageous surprising costs of the city of SF.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,253 Posts
Eldo 2k-I would ask to take to that because it is probably a salvage title to have been painted. I bought an SUV for my wife during covid and found that people selling now are in need of the money, and with not as many people driving and out looking for cars during this time a lot are just sitting without many offers. Plus I tend to offer based off what it is worth to me, not what they are asking. The worst they can say is no and as long as I haven't driven far and their is a place to get good beer near by I don't mind spending some time that way. This has worked well for me in the past and got a 2014 ford under 40,000 miles for 5k when I needed a new commuter last year which was way below blue book.

Basscatt- What about it makes it a pass for you? What did you see that turned you off to it?
=======================
Basscatt- What about it makes it a pass for you? What did you see that turned you off to it?
repaint at 62K -

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Every big city has some filth and dirt, no way around that. The non-downtown parts though tend to be pretty clean, especially the trendy areas. Parking in the city is dumb, most people just take public transit to avoid it. Hayward is east bay, once you cross the bridge things get cheaper fast. All the big companies are between SF and San Jose and people avoid moving east because crossing any of the bridges adds a ton of traffic to your commute. The little suburbs between Sf and SJ have all the big companies, apple, youtube, genentech and so on so there is an abundance of high paying jobs, the support staff at the buildings (janitors, security etc) tend to commute from pretty far out to get the better wages without the high costs. The big thing with the union workers out here is the exit strategy. Sell your house at 55 and take your pension somewhere else and live like a king.

He admitted that the car had been salvaged after some prodding about why it was repainted. Hate it when people don't just put that out there up front. The search continues...

·
1993 Deville 4.9
21 Posts
Every big city has some filth and dirt, no way around that. The non-downtown parts though tend to be pretty clean, especially the trendy areas. Parking in the city is dumb, most people just take public transit to avoid it. Hayward is east bay, once you cross the bridge things get cheaper fast. All the big companies are between SF and San Jose and people avoid moving east because crossing any of the bridges adds a ton of traffic to your commute. The little suburbs between Sf and SJ have all the big companies, apple, youtube, genentech and so on so there is an abundance of high paying jobs, the support staff at the buildings (janitors, security etc) tend to commute from pretty far out to get the better wages without the high costs. The big thing with the union workers out here is the exit strategy. Sell your house at 55 and take your pension somewhere else and live like a king.

He admitted that the car had been salvaged after some prodding about why it was repainted. Hate it when people don't just put that out there up front. The search continues...
I’ve been here in the Bay Area for 65 years ( except for 12 years of military service ) , I’ve seen this place change drastically and as you mention , the flourishing of the Silicon Valley has made a world of difference and for many a lot of money as well .
Nowhere else you can buy a home and double its value within a couple of years .
But sadly as Sub said , things had deteriorated in the City and luckily for many , you cant beat the salaries and union wages that this region has to offer .
Back to your post , I have seen some good deals on candis a little further inland much closer to Sacramento .
I personally would stay away from that $6500 abomination.
Good luck in your search and keep us posted .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just looked in the sacramento area and a few there for around 3500 with about 100k miles. Not sure when I will have time to get out that far and will have to convince my wife to go with me so if I do buy I can get it home. Thanks for the idea though, seems like I might have more luck out of the bay area.

·
1993 Deville 4.9
21 Posts
I just looked in the sacramento area and a few there for around 3500 with about 100k miles. Not sure when I will have time to get out that far and will have to convince my wife to go with me so if I do buy I can get it home. Thanks for the idea though, seems like I might have more luck out of the bay area.
You can always combine a trip to the snow and on your way there or back check out the cars , that’ll keep the wife happy 😆

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Any thoughts on these 3- Trying to schedule a day to go see some cars in the central valley, Tony was right about the prices out there and seems a 2 hour drive out could be worth it. Also should I be looking mostly at 05's? Everything I read says that the longer bolts makes them more reliable and was leaning towards that. The first one is an 05 but has higher miles than the others.

·
1993 Deville 4.9
21 Posts
Any thoughts on these 3- Trying to schedule a day to go see some cars in the central valley, Tony was right about the prices out there and seems a 2 hour drive out could be worth it. Also should I be looking mostly at 05's? Everything I read says that the longer bolts makes them more reliable and was leaning towards that. The first one is an 05 but has higher miles than the others.

Those cars look certainly much cleaner .
The key word in the ‘05 is “obo “ witch you could end up getting it for as low as $2800 or less depending on how motivated the seller is or if you find anything unusual with a quick scan .
I‘ve seen others in this forum , recommend to take with you an OBDII tester and do a quick scan to see if any codes had been wipe clean lately .
BlueDriver has an bluetooth scanner that is compatible with Iphone and android small enough to fit on your pocket , it may be worth to you the cost ( about $100 in Amazon ) but you’ll be able to have a better look at the condition of the car , not to mention that you can use that information as a bargaining tool .
When buying a use car , the more information you have about the car , the less surprises and you’ll be able to make a more educated decision , not everybody does a full disclosure as you have already find out from previous sellers .
Good luck on your search .

·
Administrator
71,095 Posts
After mid-2002 model year (December of 2001) the head bolt hole thread failure rate dropped to that of every other engine on the planet.

Our model years ran from July to June, so a "2002" could have been built from July 2001 to June 2002.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
thanks, I will probabaly stay away from that 00 and 01 then. Any thoughts on the 05 I posted? I think I could probably get a good price on that. People have been great at noticing details that I seem to miss. Don't really want to drive an hour and a half each way unless I am pretty sure about it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts