Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Currently 91 Allante, Past 82 and 93 Eldorados RIP Eldos
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to go see this on Friday Cadillac deville 2005 for Sale in Oakland, CA - OfferUp
Not really into the 20 inch rim thing which was a big selling point to this guy. He said he would knock it down to 5k if he could keep the rims, which is about what these cars go for around here. I like it because I am having trouble finding a black on but am a little unsure about all the custom work he did. Need to see it in person first but wanted to know about changing rims. Should I be worried that him rolling on 20's damaged the suspension? Also any advice on what rims would fit and be a reasonably priced replacement? I think the chrome DTS rims from this year look good, just having trouble finding a set. Also thinking if I purchase just getting something real cheap to throw on there until I find someone parting out.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,095 Posts
The 20s probably resulted in a harsh ride - not much rubber/air between the wheel and road on those wheels.

A set of DTS/Deville/Seville 17" or 18" wheels will fit - look in the correct catalog section of www.wheelcollision.com then search eBay.

The original tire size is on the driver's door sticker. I think that car used a tire with a 27.2" outside diameter and that's what you want with the new (GM) wheels.

A 17" wheel with the correct 27" OD tire has 5" of air/rubber between the wheel and road. A 20" wheel, assuming the correct tire OD, has 3.5" of sidewall - harsh ride.

The 1998 - 2005 Devilles are visually powerful enough to get away with an 18" wheel.

Lug nuts should be 12 X 1.5 hardened acorn bulge types hand torqued to 100 lb/ft in a sequential star pattern.

He's asking absolute top dollar for that car - bargain strongly and forget the hokey wheels.

Replace the overhyped overpriced K&N air filter with a perfectly good pleated woven media one from WIX, AC Delco, FRAM, PartsMaster, Purolator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To get it for 5k would be a fair price for the area, I know that sound crazy if you don't live in San Francisco, but remember a 1,000 sq ft house is a million here. Only one on craigslist or offerup with under 100k miles that has been under 6k in a month. There are two others for around $5000 with 100,000 miles that I like also but I prefer this one since its black. I definetly will bargin to get rid of the 20 in rims and any other "upgrade" that he was so big on. From what your saying though it seems I shouldn't be worried that the 20's messed up the suspension in any permanent way, just messing with how it should look. Seeing it tomorrow and if its not for me might move on to the white one.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
778 Posts
I don’t mean to rain on your parade because I know how it feels to be excited about a potential car, but if it was me I’d stay far away from that car.
It is Not clean in any way. Look at those headlights, interior looking like it hasn’t been properly cleaned in forever, raggedy matts & carpets, dust all over the instrument cluster, change engine oil message on the DIC, the so called nice wheels don’t even look good. And who advertises having a K & N air filter?

All those signs point to an owner who doesn’t take care of the vehicle. They couldn’t even muster up and get a basic car wash before taking pictures of it to sell... For over $6,000 dollars? You gotta be kidding me.

Where’s anything worthwhile for that kind of asking price? Have the headbolts been studded at least? I’m guessing not because that would’ve been the 1st thing to mention. Are the tires brand new? Not even a mention of whether or not it can pass a California Smog Inspection. Nothing of importance is mentioned to garner that kind of price, and the stuff that is mentioned looks all dusty and dirty.

The red flags are everywhere. Hard pass. And you’re considering removing the wheels and making it look ordinary? There’s just no way.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
778 Posts
Btw having 20” wheels shouldn’t be that big a reason for concern Unless you’re dealing with someone who doesn’t take care of the vehicle and runs it into the ground, which by the looks of it...

My Deville is on 20”s and I check my tire pressure once per week just to make sure it remains @32 psi. The car floats like a boat on the open road and stays detailed and clean at all times.

I live in Los Angeles, so I know about the high cost of living here in California, but that doesn’t justify the asking price of that Deville. I detail cars so that also plays a big part in that car being clean at all times...

I found my car on Offer Up. How much do you think I paid? Somewhere around 6k?
Not a chance. 131,000 miles. $2,300 dollars. And I actually overpaid at that price because I made sure to outbid the lowballers who had already made bids.

There’s deals that pop up, you just gotta know how to spot them and strike when the irons hot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please rain on my parade. I have been checking every day for about 6 weeks now, nothing under 4 grand that runs has come up. I plan on continuing to check but I think the reality is I will be between 4 and 5 if I want one with a clean title with 100k miles or less. I like that people point out those details for me and is why I post before I go to see, I want to be able to nit pick and not get ripped off. I wouldn't buy anything without an inspection as well so I am not going to jump into anything. Figure I am going to try and see it just to see what it looks like, but dealing with switching out the rims seems like a pain in the ass to me. These are the other two I am hoping to see over the next week or so. I am a little hesitant on the silver one because its a lot and I have looked there once before and the guy who runs it just seems a little dishonest. For both of these ones I would probably be at about $4000 for an offer.
2004 CADILLAC DEVILLE … PURE LUXURY & COMFORT! Includes "CARFAX" -...

Any thoughts or comparison of the three?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V6 AWD
56 Posts
I don’t mean to rain on your parade because I know how it feels to be excited about a potential car, but if it was me I’d stay far away from that car.
It is Not clean in any way. Look at those headlights, interior looking like it hasn’t been properly cleaned in forever, raggedy matts & carpets, dust all over the instrument cluster, change engine oil message on the DIC, the so called nice wheels don’t even look good. And who advertises having a K & N air filter?

All those signs point to an owner who doesn’t take care of the vehicle. They couldn’t even muster up and get a basic car wash before taking pictures of it to sell... For over $6,000 dollars? You gotta be kidding me.

Where’s anything worthwhile for that kind of asking price? Have the headbolts been studded at least? I’m guessing not because that would’ve been the 1st thing to mention. Are the tires brand new? Not even a mention of whether or not it can pass a California Smog Inspection. Nothing of importance is mentioned to garner that kind of price, and the stuff that is mentioned looks all dusty and dirty.

The red flags are everywhere. Hard pass. And you’re considering removing the wheels and making it look ordinary? There’s just no way.
I couldn't agree more, did you notice it looks like two brake lights are out or 1 taillight. On mine you have to replace the whole assembly, check that it could be several or more hundred dollars. He pictured one hazy headlight, assume the other is worse. Not sure if it was running but it's battery charging lights on, change engine oil is displayed. If he lets you see that much he clearly hasn't maintained the vehicle. I probably wouldn't even look at it, actually I know I wouldn't look at it. You'll find one, keep looking.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,252 Posts
Going to go see this on Friday Cadillac deville 2005 for Sale in Oakland, CA - OfferUp
Not really into the 20 inch rim thing which was a big selling point to this guy. He said he would knock it down to 5k if he could keep the rims, which is about what these cars go for around here. I like it because I am having trouble finding a black on but am a little unsure about all the custom work he did. Need to see it in person first but wanted to know about changing rims. Should I be worried that him rolling on 20's damaged the suspension? Also any advice on what rims would fit and be a reasonably priced replacement? I think the chrome DTS rims from this year look good, just having trouble finding a set. Also thinking if I purchase just getting something real cheap to throw on there until I find someone parting out.

Thoughts?
=========================
RUN AWAY!
that poor car has been ghettoed to death -

running on 20's WILL wear out the suspension parts
because there is almost no rubber tire sidewall to absorb the small - constant - bumps -

HOW can someone trash the back seat that bad?

hold out for a NICE car - this is NOT the one you want -

the DHS model had a window sticker price of $5000 more than comparably equipped BASE model -
and had a LOT more and better "toys" that were not even available as options on a BASE model -

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The black one looks like it will be a pass. Thanks for all the critical eyes on things I might gloss over at times. I will probably still go see it because its near a brewery I like and gives me a good excuse to fill a growler. Plus want to see if I like the blacked out windows look or not.

I know the DHS and DTS models have some updgrades, ideally I would want a DHS because I like the bench seat in the front over the bucket. The cheapest DHS to pop up in over a month though is 7k, which is more that I want to spend on a weekend car. The only DTS to come up wanted 4,500 with a blown head gasket. I'll keep looking and am not in a big rush to buy but also don't think that Ill stumble into one in this area. You see a lot more European luxury cars in the SF area than Caddies.

Any feelings on the white or silvers ones I posted? A bit of a drive to go see the white one but I like that its from a retirement home and I generally like these in silver since you don't see that color often.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The black one looks like it will be a pass. Thanks for all the critical eyes on things I might gloss over at times. I will probably still go see it because its near a brewery I like and gives me a good excuse to fill a growler. Plus want to see if I like the blacked out windows look or not.

I know the DHS and DTS models have some updgrades, ideally I would want a DHS because I like the bench seat in the front over the bucket. The cheapest DHS to pop up in over a month though is 7k, which is more that I want to spend on a weekend car. The only DTS to come up wanted 4,500 with a blown head gasket. I'll keep looking and am not in a big rush to buy but also don't think that Ill stumble into one in this area. You see a lot more European luxury cars in the SF area than Caddies.

Any feelings on the white or silvers ones I posted? A bit of a drive to go see the white one but I like that its from a retirement home and I generally like these in silver since you don't see that color often.
One other I am considering, 2005 Cadillac Deville for Sale in Vallejo, CA - OfferUp A little higher miles but might be had for pretty cheap. Not sure if the money saved up front will be worth it though for an extra 18k miles of wear and tear.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
778 Posts
The 1st one is a base Deville and IMO is way overpriced.

The 2nd gray one is also a base Deville and looks decent and clean. Short description but I can respect it. Price is somewhat reasonable but once again it’s a base Deville and I’ve never been fond of the wheels on those and the digital dash. I’d wait.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw the black one, no bueno, but got a really good barellel aged sour for the weekend so a very worthwhile 15 minute drive.

The white one sold yesterday for $4,700. The seller was really friendly when I called and he said he got a lot of offers in the low 4's but was able to sell for $4,700 in under a week. The seller with the gray one was dishonest with me and tried a bait and switch on a black 04 DTS about a month ago. I might go see this one but its in the east bay and not sure I want to cross the bridge to deal with him.

Going to see what pops up over the next few weeks and will post for advice again, you guys tend to notice things I miss and I appreciate it.

·
20,252 Posts
Please rain on my parade. I have been checking every day for about 6 weeks now, nothing under 4 grand that runs has come up. I plan on continuing to check but I think the reality is I will be between 4 and 5 if I want one with a clean title with 100k miles or less. I like that people point out those details for me and is why I post before I go to see, I want to be able to nit pick and not get ripped off. I wouldn't buy anything without an inspection as well so I am not going to jump into anything. Figure I am going to try and see it just to see what it looks like, but dealing with switching out the rims seems like a pain in the ass to me. These are the other two I am hoping to see over the next week or so. I am a little hesitant on the silver one because its a lot and I have looked there once before and the guy who runs it just seems a little dishonest. For both of these ones I would probably be at about $4000 for an offer.
2004 CADILLAC DEVILLE … PURE LUXURY & COMFORT! Includes "CARFAX" -...

Any thoughts or comparison of the three?
========================
here ya go -

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice, but 1000 miles away, just getting it here will cost me a grand. There are a ton of them out of my area, offerup keeps showing me ones in Wisconsin that are half of what they go for here. Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like that and would love to see in person, but thats 8 hours from San Francisco. I don't have time for a trek like that right now just to look at a car and would need to have someone else who wants to go that far to get it home.

Thoughts on this one? Super low mileage and I want white, silver or black. Was planning on emailing and seeing if he would take $4500 and if so going to see it. About an hour from home so not to big of a time commitment.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
778 Posts
I like that and would love to see in person, but thats 8 hours from San Francisco. I don't have time for a trek like that right now just to look at a car and would need to have someone else who wants to go that far to get it home.

Thoughts on this one? Super low mileage and I want white, silver or black. Was planning on emailing and seeing if he would take $4500 and if so going to see it. About an hour from home so not to big of a time commitment.

Looks the part... But @62,000 miles you gotta ask yourself, why did it need a paintjob? And while the doors seem to shine nice in the 2nd picture it’s still no guarantee that they did a proper job until you really lay eyes on it and even then you have to know how to inspect paint. [at least I think it’s pretty important]

Also, he’s asking $6,000 and you want to see if he’ll take $4,500? Hey I guess some people are different and who knows anything can happen, but I personally don’t like to ask something like that for no good reason considering it’s a sizable chunk off his asking price. What reason do you have in mind if he asks why the reduction in price?

·
20,252 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eldo 2k-I would ask to take to that because it is probably a salvage title to have been painted. I bought an SUV for my wife during covid and found that people selling now are in need of the money, and with not as many people driving and out looking for cars during this time a lot are just sitting without many offers. Plus I tend to offer based off what it is worth to me, not what they are asking. The worst they can say is no and as long as I haven't driven far and their is a place to get good beer near by I don't mind spending some time that way. This has worked well for me in the past and got a 2014 ford under 40,000 miles for 5k when I needed a new commuter last year which was way below blue book.

Basscatt- What about it makes it a pass for you? What did you see that turned you off to it?

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
778 Posts
It’d be a pass for me as well based on it being overpriced. Maybe if it had original paint and in mint condition, but it’s not.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts