Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum and couldn't find procedure on changing plugs.Have 75k on original plugs and was thinking of changing plugs and wires before problems arise. Should I also replace coils? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
75K is nothing, I'd wait on all.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I was thinking of doing this is because I have a 2008 Chev, Equinox V-6 with 70k and was having trouble with engine missing.
I changed plugs and wires and cured the problem. It has Delco Iridiums that are supposed to last 100k but when I removed them they had twice the gap as new.
Since I changed them my gas mileage has risen slightly. I thought maybe I might get the same results on my SRX. But I guess if it isn't broke,don't fix it!! Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
SRX'05 4.6L
235 Posts
I would take out two different plugs on different banks and see what they look like. I replace mine every 50,000 km because they get reddish. To do it - you unscrew coil bolt, take coil out, then unscrew the plug. Quite easy except the one next to the battery.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I just might do that. Like I said, my Equinox only had 70k and the gap was twice the spec.So much for 100k plugs! Don't think I can hurt anything by changing them but who knows. SRX has 78k and plugs are a cheap fix!

·
Registered
07 SRX NorthStar - just purchased, and loving it!
71 Posts
Any chance you guys have a step by step on changing the plugs on the V8? I am going to attempt for myself on my 2007 4.6, but the step by step for the V6 makes it sound tough, not finding any V8 tutorials

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
If you need a tutorial for swapping plugs on the LH2 V8 Northstar then your should put the tools down and take it to a mechanic. Pop the hood and look. I could give my fiancé a basic set of hand tools and she could figure it out.

·
Registered
CTC/SRX
2 Posts
V8N* plugs are super easy
1.Take off engine cover
2. Take off coil covers
3. find 8 coils
4. remove connector from coil
5. remove mounting screw from coil (Not captive)
6. remove coil
7. remove plug

You will need some extensions and swivel adapter.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD
336 Posts
Yes what he said....did mine in the driveway with one extension and one swivel
Yep, it's nice and easy. But they're right about the one near the battery that one is kind of a pain from a limited space standpoint. Not a game changer tho.

·
Registered
06 v6 SRX
491 Posts
Trust me - the key tool is a spark plug socket that will hold the plug and stay on the extension with out falling off .

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My socket has a rubber sleeve which holds the plug in. Also in the past I have duct taped the socket to the extension so it doesn't come off.

·
Registered
'04 SRX 3.6 AWD, 69 Camaro, 98 Yukon
96 Posts
If you don't already have one, get yourself one of those little telescoping magnets to retrieve those pesky plugs/sockets that drop back into the hole. I just changed the plugs a couple month ago on my V6 and ended up having to scrape and replace the intake gaskets in addition to fighting the intake manifold. The OE plugs at 100K really showed no appreciable wear but I still believe in preventive maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts